The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:15 am
I notice we have Alex Bruce on trial. 32 year old Centre Half. Had lengthy spells at Hull and Leeds and Ipswich (mostly at this level with a few in the PL). Should he sign it'll add some competition in defence alongside Dervite behind the first choice duo of Beevers and Wheater and probably give us an option if we want to go 3 at the back with one of them in reserve.
I think I'd rather loan Reece Burke. I've nothing particularly against Alex Bruce but he's never struck me as particularly brilliant, or particularly pacy (the one thing I think we lack). Thereafter we lapse into speculation but I'd have to wonder whether he'd be at the top end of the wage bill and whether he'd be happy on the bench if we play a back four with Wheevers in the middle. Is he an upgrade on either of those two?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 am
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:15 am
I notice we have Alex Bruce on trial. 32 year old Centre Half. Had lengthy spells at Hull and Leeds and Ipswich (mostly at this level with a few in the PL). Should he sign it'll add some competition in defence alongside Dervite behind the first choice duo of Beevers and Wheater and probably give us an option if we want to go 3 at the back with one of them in reserve.
I think I'd rather loan Reece Burke. I've nothing particularly against Alex Bruce but he's never struck me as particularly brilliant, or particularly pacy (the one thing I think we lack). Thereafter we lapse into speculation but I'd have to wonder whether he'd be at the top end of the wage bill and whether he'd be happy on the bench if we play a back four with Wheevers in the middle. Is he an upgrade on either of those two?
True, maybe PP just got him in to play this game so he can try different formations (which is for the benefit of the other lads on the field). I don't really know. It's a body for the time being. If Burke is a concrete plan and it's in the pipeline to happen then Bruce is just filling the gap til that comes to fruition. Can't hurt at this point. Signing Bruce permanently would smack a little bit of last resort. I think PP has said all along he's hoping to get some PL loans in so he's biding his time with trialists until then.

I notice nowt came of that 6'4" Swiss forward we took on trial...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am
That didn't surprise me at all. Parky's quotes basically said "we're taking him to make up the numbers and so Gaz Madine doesn't have to play every minute."
As things stand at the moment Haris is coming to Scotland with us. We need numbers and we don’t want players playing too many minutes too soon. It puts people at risk of injury. We’ll look at him in training, continue to monitor people and continue to work on getting some new signings in as well.
Habib Habibou might not come to owt either – FWIW, Iles says he's not getting strong vibes he'll sign – but he has more chance than Tabakovic ever did.

On Bruce - yeah, you might be right. Could be more of the same: another body through the door, although it's a player we might genuinely want to sign if we get an injury and he's still available, having been impressed by PP etc. His father may also be not insignificant: again, make a good impression and it can't hurt to get in with the family.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am
That didn't surprise me at all. Parky's quotes basically said "we're taking him to make up the numbers and so Gaz Madine doesn't have to play every minute."
As things stand at the moment Haris is coming to Scotland with us. We need numbers and we don’t want players playing too many minutes too soon. It puts people at risk of injury. We’ll look at him in training, continue to monitor people and continue to work on getting some new signings in as well.
Habib Habibou might not come to owt either – FWIW, Iles says he's not getting strong vibes he'll sign – but he has more chance than Tabakovic ever did.

On Bruce - yeah, you might be right. Could be more of the same: another body through the door, although it's a player we might genuinely want to sign if we get an injury and he's still available, having been impressed by PP etc. His father may also be not insignificant: again, make a good impression and it can't hurt to get in with the family.
Last night Iles said Haris had more chance than Habib...Iles reckons Habib not being involved last night was a dead giveaway...said Parky only plays trialists if they have a chance.

On Bruce, I assume that he is here in case Burke falls through. West Ham played him the other day so perhaps there is some possibility they want to keep him. Bruce isn't a bad player IMO, but as you say similar to what we've got. He can play defensive midfield though too...so versatility which is important in our limited squad.

Karacan went off limping last night. Midfield is now IMO most crucial area to strengthen. When you think from last season we've lost Trotter, Thorpe and Spearing who all played a number of games in midfield, we look very light there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am
Last night Iles said Haris had more chance than Habib...Iles reckons Habib not being involved last night was a dead giveaway...said Parky only plays trialists if they have a chance.
I've never seen a more lukewarm Parkinson quote than the one about Tabakovic, so if Habibou has less chance, he's no chance. But we'll see in time. Still three senior games left, plus three more "XI"s.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 am

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am
I've never seen a more lukewarm Parkinson quote than the one about Tabakovic, so if Habibou has less chance, he's no chance. But we'll see in time. Still three senior games left, plus three more "XI"s.
That was Iles view that Haris had a slim chance and Habib had no chance....

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Alex Bruce is solid and I wouldn't mind us signing him but we would be particularly susceptible to a pacy attack.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm

French outlet Foot Mercato reports Habibou's returned to Lens because "no financial agreement has been reached for the moment". Habibou is under contract but has a release clause.

Burnden Aces say Tabakovic has gone back to Swissland. Arsenal forward Stephy Mavididi (19), who went on loan to Charlton last season for a bit.

Somewhat implausibly, Goal.com claim we're going to loan young (well, 24-year-old) Chelsea goalkeeper Jamal Blackman, who impressed last term at Wycombe. Apparently "Ben Amos is set to depart the Macron Stadium and Blackman will compete with Ben Alnwick for a starting spot." No news on Mark Howard, or for that matter Jake Turner. On our priority list, I'd put a loanee goalkeeper about level with a glass hammer.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm
On our priority list, I'd put a loanee goalkeeper about level with a glass hammer.
A Jimmy Glass hammer?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm
On our priority list, I'd put a loanee goalkeeper about level with a glass hammer.
A Jimmy Glass hammer?
Heh. Fittingly enough Glass started off at Crystal Palace, albeit after Malcolm Allison dropped the Glaziers nickname (which happened in the same summer of 1973 as Glass was born). Furtherly fittingly, former Palace gaffer Alan Pardew is a qualified glazier.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm
Little Green Man wrote:
A Jimmy Glass hammer?
Heh. Fittingly enough Glass started off at Crystal Palace, albeit after Malcolm Allison dropped the Glaziers nickname (which happened in the same summer of 1973 as Glass was born). Furtherly fittingly, former Palace gaffer Alan Pardew is a qualified glazier.
Very appropriate for a thread about the transfer window.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:22 pm
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm
Little Green Man wrote:
A Jimmy Glass hammer?
Very appropriate for a thread about the transfer window.
Especially it's slammed shut too hard. Or that noisy Scottish bloke breaks it with his screeching on SSN.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 pm

What do Chris Evans, Gary Lineker and Graham Norton have in common?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 pm
Annoying nice people?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Annoying tw*ts?

Our next three managers?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm

The only three BBC employees to earn more than Ben f*cking Amos.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 pm

^^ That hurts.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
They've all temporarily replaced Gary Megson as manager?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm
The only three BBC employees to earn more than Ben f*cking Amos.
They would probably do a better job in goal too.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:45 am

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... on-efl-epl

One of a couple of sites reporting Utd interest in young keeper Jake Turner.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion