The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 am
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... act_calls/

No rush to sort contracts out. I like this approach. For once we are in a good position (IF Ken sorts the embargo and finances out of course). We can make good decisions on which players we want to keep and for how much. Parky talks a lot of sense here.

For example more I think about it, more I wonder whether signing 31 year old Morais makes sense. Lads been superb, but, will he continue having that sort of impact? Looking at his career this appears to be a high rather than something he will necessarily maintain.

Good that Parky isn't rushing decisions and is having a proper think. Ken does need to get a move on so everyone knows what budget we're working to (and get that embargo gone). That will help decision making processes.
Not an unreasonable point, but then there's a fair few in this team that have had a much better season, just passed, than any I've seen them have before. Wheets is 30 and has had by far and away his best season for us. Taylor is 30, we got him from a team, just relegated, that he couldn't get into. etc. etc. Realistically, I've not seen much in Wheets performances to suggest he still has "whatever it is" at Championship or higher level. Madine has never done much outside of League 1 - his best goal tally in a Championship season is 4.

I don't think the team we currently have is good enough to stay up, by some distance - so clearly choices will have to be made.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

No rush to sort contracts out. I like this approach. For once we are in a good position (IF Ken sorts the embargo and finances out of course). We can make good decisions on which players we want to keep and for how much. Parky talks a lot of sense here.

For example more I think about it, more I wonder whether signing 31 year old Morais makes sense. Lads been superb, but, will he continue having that sort of impact? Looking at his career this appears to be a high rather than something he will necessarily maintain.

Good that Parky isn't rushing decisions and is having a proper think. Ken does need to get a move on so everyone knows what budget we're working to (and get that embargo gone). That will help decision making processes.
Not an unreasonable point, but then there's a fair few in this team that have had a much better season, just passed, than any I've seen them have before. Wheets is 30 and has had by far and away his best season for us. Taylor is 30, we got him from a team, just relegated, that he couldn't get into. etc. etc. Realistically, I've not seen much in Wheets performances to suggest he still has "whatever it is" at Championship or higher level. Madine has never done much outside of League 1 - his best goal tally in a Championship season is 4.

I don't think the team we currently have is good enough to stay up, by some distance - so clearly choices will have to be made.
Wheater has played a decent amount of premiership football. As has Taylor. Few years back Taylor was in the championship winning Cardiff City side.

I'd strongly argue that both Wheats and Tayls have played a lot and proven themselves at higher levels than league one.

I'd also disagree, I think Wheater this season looked like he could comfortably play a level up.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 am

I think Morais deserves a crack with us next season and I don't think a 1 or 2 year deal (at the right price) is too much of a gamble. It may be that he isn't an automatic 1st choice, but it's good to have options (see lack of Madine alternative). I suspect our defence will be more vulnerable next season, but again, getting more options in there will help (as will Moxey moving on). I hope we can sign Karacan as he looked to me to have the good bits of Pratley and Spearing (running, closing down spaces etc) with the added benefit of being a bit more dynamic and a threat.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 am
I think Morais deserves a crack with us next season and I don't think a 1 or 2 year deal (at the right price) is too much of a gamble. It may be that he isn't an automatic 1st choice, but it's good to have options (see lack of Madine alternative). I suspect our defence will be more vulnerable next season, but again, getting more options in there will help (as will Moxey moving on). I hope we can sign Karacan as he looked to me to have the good bits of Pratley and Spearing (running, closing down spaces etc) with the added benefit of being a bit more dynamic and a threat.
Karacan looks a good one to me. I'd like to see him stay here.

I like Morais but cannot help feel he's one where it will be a tough decision. He's been brilliant, but given he's 31 and the attacking end of our team is definitely where we need improvement next season...is he good enough? We've got to be careful there isn't likely to be money to afford loads of cover, anyone we have has to be good enough to perform at championship level.

I think they will definitely try and keep Spearing, Taylor and Wheater. Think the rest are the ones where some debate will be needed, am sure some will stay. I have a feeling they'll offer Madine something. ALF will probably get some sort of offer but whether enough to keep him, I'm not sure. Again he's 30 so can't see much of a contract being doled out.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I like Morais but cannot help feel he's one where it will be a tough decision. He's been brilliant, but given he's 31 and the attacking end of our team is definitely where we need improvement next season...is he good enough? We've got to be careful there isn't likely to be money to afford loads of cover, anyone we have has to be good enough to perform at championship level.

I think they will definitely try and keep Spearing, Taylor and Wheater. Think the rest are the ones where some debate will be needed, am sure some will stay. I have a feeling they'll offer Madine something. ALF will probably get some sort of offer but whether enough to keep him, I'm not sure. Again he's 30 so can't see much of a contract being doled out.
I think Morais would be less effective, but the quality of his balls into the box don't diminish, just maybe the frequency that he manages it against better defenders. I'm more worried who will be on the end of them. Whilst Madine has been important to us this season I'm not convinced challenging for the ball is enough unless he can create as much of a problem that Kev did in his heyday. If the price is right I'm happy to sign both, but I think Morais delivery will be harder to replace than Madine's challenges.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I think Morais would be less effective, but the quality of his balls into the box don't diminish, just maybe the frequency that he manages it against better defenders. I'm more worried who will be on the end of them. Whilst Madine has been important to us this season I'm not convinced challenging for the ball is enough unless he can create as much of a problem that Kev did in his heyday. If the price is right I'm happy to sign both, but I think Morais delivery will be harder to replace than Madine's challenges.

I'm happy with whatever Parky decides. Trust him to get it right. I sort of agree, Morais' delivery is so good, it is hard to pass up on. But again it sort of depends how we're setting up. If we play two up front then delivery into the box is key. If we are going with one up there, I personally think you need people in those wide areas with more to their game than Morais seems to offer. Mind you he's been playing at wing back, and I absolutely do not think we can use him there in the championship. So again perhaps depends how Parky thinks we'll be setting up. Guess my concern is championship sides won't be as easy to work a yard of space against with a quick bit of speed over a few yards which seems to be Morais' game. When teams doubled up on him and nullified that towards the end of the season I actually thought he struggled a bit. He's not going to get quicker at his age either.

Tough calls all round. Parky will get em right though.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 am

I'm happy with whatever Parky decides. Trust him to get it right. I sort of agree, Morais' delivery is so good, it is hard to pass up on. But again it sort of depends how we're setting up. If we play two up front then delivery into the box is key. If we are going with one up there, I personally think you need people in those wide areas with more to their game than Morais seems to offer. Mind you he's been playing at wing back, and I absolutely do not think we can use him there in the championship. So again perhaps depends how Parky thinks we'll be setting up. Guess my concern is championship sides won't be as easy to work a yard of space against with a quick bit of speed over a few yards which seems to be Morais' game. When teams doubled up on him and nullified that towards the end of the season I actually thought he struggled a bit. He's not going to get quicker at his age either.

Tough calls all round. Parky will get em right though.
Aye, we'll have to see what direction Parky wants to go and who else they think they can get in. I'm more optimistic than this time last year :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am

Much of this depends on the wages they ask and the budget we have, obviously, but broadly:

• Release M Davies, Dervite, Moxey, Trotter, Wilson, Wabara, Buxton, Walker and probably Clayton (unless for buttons)
• Seek to get rid of (the still-contracted) Amos, Proctor, Chris Taylor, and possibly Derik
• Thanks and goodbye to Thorpe and Henry; wouldn't be aghast to hire them later in the summer if they're still available and we haven't found better, but let's not limit ourselves. You imagine Parky has several targets outside the club (Stephen Darby?!)
• Keep Wheater but seek a younger, faster centre-back (as an alternative/competition to Wheavers in a back four, necessary cover in a back three)
• Keep Andy Taylor
• Keep Morais - he may have peaked but he can't half cross a ball; perhaps he comes on for the last 30 against tiring defenders?
• Keep ALF but not at any price because he needs players near him, which limits tactical options
• Upgrade Madine with a similar type for first-choice; possibly keep Madine around as back-up
• Spearing would be good but not at any price. Karacan may be much more affordable and if Jay wants twice as much, is he worth it?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:58 am

More or less where I'm at DSB.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 04, 2017 12:12 pm

And me.

Think there's no doubt we'll keep Phil. He along with Wheater, Taylor and Spearing will be the first getting calls. Think all four will stay unless Jay's head gets turned.

On Morais, worth remembering we have absolutely no other wingers. He'll stay, hopefully with SammyAmmy on the other side.

Said it before but we're a right-back off a top-half champo defence. I worry about keeper and the front half though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 12:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wheater has played a decent amount of premiership football. As has Taylor. Few years back Taylor was in the championship winning Cardiff City side.

I'd strongly argue that both Wheats and Tayls have played a lot and proven themselves at higher levels than league one.

I'd also disagree, I think Wheater this season looked like he could comfortably play a level up.
When we were relegated from the Championship the 11 players that played most games for us were:

Amos - 40 - still here (sorta) - appearances this season - 0
Clough - 25 - gone - 2016/17 - 17
Mavies - 34 - still here - 2016/17 - 4
Derik - 22 - still here - 2016/17 - 19
Feeney - 36 - gone - 2016/17 - 0
Holding - 26 - gone - 2016/17 - 0
Madine - 22 - still here - 2016/17 - 36
Moxey - 33 - still here - 2016/17 - 16
Pratley - 36 - still here - 2016/17 - 11
Vela - 30 - still here - 2016/17 - 45
Wheater - 26 - still here - 2016 - 43

I think any of the ones we still have, need to prove themselves of Championship quality. I would sign Wheater and Andy Taylor (just to be clear) but they need to step up in the Chumps - just bandying an "opinion" that they can, when they clearly and demonstrably couldn't two years ago doesn't cut it for me...Sure there was a back-drop of financial woes, but they were no great shakes the season before either...it was only going one way.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am
Much of this depends on the wages they ask and the budget we have, obviously, but broadly:

• Release M Davies, Dervite, Moxey, Trotter, Wilson, Wabara, Buxton, Walker and probably Clayton (unless for buttons)
• Seek to get rid of (the still-contracted) Amos, Proctor, Chris Taylor, and possibly Derik
• Thanks and goodbye to Thorpe and Henry; wouldn't be aghast to hire them later in the summer if they're still available and we haven't found better, but let's not limit ourselves. You imagine Parky has several targets outside the club (Stephen Darby?!)
• Keep Wheater but seek a younger, faster centre-back (as an alternative/competition to Wheavers in a back four, necessary cover in a back three)
• Keep Andy Taylor
• Keep Morais - he may have peaked but he can't half cross a ball; perhaps he comes on for the last 30 against tiring defenders?
• Keep ALF but not at any price because he needs players near him, which limits tactical options
• Upgrade Madine with a similar type for first-choice; possibly keep Madine around as back-up
• Spearing would be good but not at any price. Karacan may be much more affordable and if Jay wants twice as much, is he worth it?
That's about it for me - then there's Mr Pratley (of course) :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:21 pm

• Keep Andy Taylor
That's about it for me - then there's Mr Pratley (of course) :-)
Aye, still contracted for a year. Fair point though. Not quite as urgent a get-rid as Amos (expensive and unneeded), CTaylor (cheap not good enough) Proctor (cheap not good enough) and Derik (we could probably get better for his wage), but if someone for some reason wanted him and that helped us keep Jay, I'd be interested.

I suspect Parky, however, will keep Pratley.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:18 pm

When we were relegated from the Championship the 11 players that played most games for us were:

I think any of the ones we still have, need to prove themselves of Championship quality. I would sign Wheater and Andy Taylor (just to be clear) but they need to step up in the Chumps - just bandying an "opinion" that they can, when they clearly and demonstrably couldn't two years ago doesn't cut it for me...Sure there was a back-drop of financial woes, but they were no great shakes the season before either...it was only going one way.

Yep of course. But given both Taylor and Wheater have played the majority of their football in the top two divisions it would be relatively decent evidence that with a good manager in a half decent side they will be good enough. Morais has played most of his football below that level.

That is all I'm saying.

They need to be better than they were in the championship last time.

Can't believe I'm saying this either, but I'd be sorely tempted to keep Dervite. He has been excellent in a back three and as Iles said on his facebook chat the other day is probably a cheap option for back up to Wheater and Beevers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 12:41 pm

• Keep Andy Taylor
I think there is an important point raised by Parky that ripping too much up, leaves the risk of not having the right spirit around the club. As he says he wants to keep "the core" I imagine that definitely involves seriously trying to keep Taylor, Wheater and Spearing. Possibly Madine also. Parky does like him, a lot, if you believe Marc Iles.

My view is that given what Parky has said in the BN today that he feels the big decisions to make are on Morais/ALF/Dervite and possibly Clayton (though for me he's not good enough).

Just a gut feeling.

Think like you that Karacan might be kept too.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu May 04, 2017 12:43 pm

• Keep Andy Taylor
I agree with most of this....I'm just not sure about Madine in the championship, I think that we need a better version (if we can afford it ?) if we are to have a decent crack at the championship

Personally I think PP will have a few aces up his sleeve / players already primed etc...in regards to transfers (if the embargo gets lifted) / out of contract players / free transfers in the summer

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Yep of course. But given both Taylor and Wheater have played the majority of their football in the top two divisions it would be relatively decent evidence that with a good manager in a half decent side they will be good enough. Morais has played most of his football below that level.

That is all I'm saying.

Can't believe I'm saying this either, but I'd be sorely tempted to keep Dervite. He has been excellent in a back three and as Iles said on his facebook chat the other day is probably a cheap option for back up to Wheater and Beevers.
There's well over half a side in bold, up above - 7 in total - excluding Amos. You could see Derik and Moxey going out of that list. Still leaves just under half a team - so the other half (of which Taylor would be one, for me) are going to have to be pretty fcking good, because we didn't marginally go down, as you (I think) observed, we won 4 games and conceded 81 goals - it's wasn't "just a bit short" it was "a long way short"...

Generally Parky's signings have been good, so I'm happy to leave him to it to see what he can do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 04, 2017 12:56 pm

How deep is your core? If (if) we keep Wheater, ATaylor, Spearing, ALF and Morais, adding to the contracted Howard/Alnwick, Beevers, Pratley and Vela, that's the existing core: nine players (10 if you count both keepers), interestingly only three of them not signed (or in Wheater's case re-signed) by PP. Would just need a right-back (or third centre-back) and a left-sider for a 4-2-3-1... albeit one that would struggle.

Note also Parky saying we need competition for places. I'd assume he'd start largely loyal to the men who got us up but if they don't shape up in pre-season he won't be scared to promote the newcomers. There's probably a comparison with Rioch in 1993: keeping the core on the payroll happy to assimilate some signings for depth and competition, be they trusted old faces (Jiminho, Gary Parkinson) or spritely newcomers (Tomo, Coyle).

Dervite is a big choice, depends how much he wants compared to anyone else Parky might fancy; same for Madine. I presume Dervite would be asked to take a big wage cut, bigger than the one asked of Madine (signed later).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

That is all I'm saying.

There's well over half a side in bold, up above - 7 in total - excluding Amos. You could see Derik and Moxey going out of that list. Still leaves just under half a team - so the other half (of which Taylor would be one, for me) are going to have to be pretty fcking good, because we didn't marginally go down, as you (I think) observed, we won 4 games and conceded 81 goals - it's wasn't "just a bit short" it was "a long way short"...

Generally Parky's signings have been good, so I'm happy to leave him to it to see what he can do.
I guess some of this depends on a) how much difference a manager might make b) how much stock you put in team balance being crucial.

I'd argue many of those players are good enough but the balance of that side wasn't correct. If you replaced, Feeney, Clough and Moxey with three better players (two of whom need to be scoring and creating at that level regularly) whole picture could look very different.

Bit like this season. We floundered until Morais came in with his assists. I think we have enough solid types if we keep most of them its about adding some "x factor" on top of that. IMHO.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Thu May 04, 2017 12:56 pm
How deep is your core? If (if) we keep Wheater, ATaylor, Spearing, ALF and Morais, adding to the contracted Howard/Alnwick, Beevers, Pratley and Vela, that's the existing core: nine players (10 if you count both keepers), interestingly only three of them not signed (or in Wheater's case re-signed) by PP. Would just need a right-back (or third centre-back) and a left-sider for a 4-2-3-1... albeit one that would struggle.

Note also Parky saying we need competition for places. I'd assume he'd start largely loyal to the men who got us up but if they don't shape up in pre-season he won't be scared to promote the newcomers. There's probably a comparison with Rioch in 1993: keeping the core on the payroll happy to assimilate some signings for depth and competition, be they trusted old faces (Jiminho, Gary Parkinson) or spritely newcomers (Tomo, Coyle).

Dervite is a big choice, depends how much he wants compared to anyone else Parky might fancy; same for Madine. I presume Dervite would be asked to take a big wage cut, bigger than the one asked of Madine (signed later).
Iles reckoned Dervite wasn't on much anyhow.

Its going to be interesting. I have a hunch Madine is rated far higher by Parky and his team than people think and he could be one of the key ones they want to keep. Could be wrong. As you say there, the key in my view is whether we can get better for the same money. Parky may see it differently though.