The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:03 pm
Looks like that is it. Leaves us very short in midfield. Hopefully we can get out of embargo and pick up a free transfer or two. Still quality is lacking in this squad as it stands sadly.
Quality? What did you really expect given our situation? Get Wheater, Sammi and Vela back in the side plus the signings and loanees and we'll be as good as we could feasibly expect. I feel sorry for Parky trying to do his best against all the odds.
I guess there was hope we could have done more having resolved the ownership situation yesterday. But clearly that happened too late to be meaningful. Ken must now shift the embargo within the next few days so we can sign a couple of the best free transfers left.

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:08 am

Quite happy with the signing of Mr Noone I have always rated him. He definitely put a shift in, has Chris Taylor left then for the space. Once the injuries come back I will be even happier.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 am

Have to hold my hands up and say I have not seen Noone play, or maybe I have and can't remember him. Please that they have signed someone who may improve/help the team, but I was secretly hoping they could sign a defensive midfielder, still hoping they can?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:47 am

twilight wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 am
Have to hold my hands up and say I have not seen Noone play, or maybe I have and can't remember him. Please that they have signed someone who may improve/help the team, but I was secretly hoping they could sign a defensive midfielder, still hoping they can?
They better had get the embargo shifted and snap up a couple of free transfers. Otherwise will be very underwhelming in terms of squad depth and quality.

Over to Ken.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 am

I know his name but wasn't aware he was a winger. Odd that Cardiff have let a wide man go and then replaced him with Liam Feeney. Hopefully it's a Warnock clash thing. He seems to be shipping out a few who have been at Cardiff a while
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 am
I know his name but wasn't aware he was a winger. Odd that Cardiff have let a wide man go and then replaced him with Liam Feeney. Hopefully it's a Warnock clash thing. He seems to be shipping out a few who have been at Cardiff a while
Feeney is a good player. He'd get into our side, without a doubt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:03 pm
Looks like that is it. Leaves us very short in midfield. Hopefully we can get out of embargo and pick up a free transfer or two. Still quality is lacking in this squad as it stands sadly.
Agreed, is Spearing the best free centre mid out there then?
Diagouraga has been released from Leeds. I remember him being a good defensive midfield for Brentford a couple of years ago. But yeah, for us at least, Spearing probably what we need...
Evidently it depends on cash and the player's willingness to come, but amongst the other unemployed defensive midfielders are Jan Kirchhoff (27, ex-Sunderland), Joe Ledley (30, ex-Palace), Youssouf Mulumbu (30, ex-WBA), ex-Gooner Mathieu Flamini (33), Karl Henry (34, ex-Wolves/QPR), ex-pies Hendry Thomas (32) and Wilson Palacios (33) plus dear old Nigel Reo-Coker (33).

More realistically but less excitingly, Nathan Doyle (30) was signed by Parky for Bradford in summer 2012 - “I think it's an outstanding signing for us, he's played most of his career at Championship level” – on a one-year deal, which was extended after he started 52 of Bradford’s 64 games that season, in a variety of positions including centre-back; he was an ever-present in the run to the League Cup final and helped them get promoted from tier four. In his second season he played 41 times but was released the following summer as Parky overhauled the squad; since then he’s been at Luton, who he left in January, so the Championship would be a step back up (he’s played 110 games in the top two tiers).

There’s also Isaiah Osbourne (29), the former Villa midfielder who’s played 88 times in the top two divisions – including for Forest, Boro and Blackpool in the Champo. More recently he’s been in the third tier with Scunny and Walsall, but at 6ft 2in he’s also 3in taller than Doyle, if height’s your thing.

Even more realistically, there’s Joey O’Brien. He’s already been training with the club and is still only 31.

Jay fits the profile best in that he knows the club and staff, but also that his return would be a tangible good-news story which would hopefully have a visceral effect lifting the place. Get him (+1) tidying up in a well-organised 4-2-3-1 with a rotating cast of wide creators (Sameobi, Postman, Noone, Buckley) and we might have a chance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 am

Reading Ken's latest piece on the official site and Lee Anderson's tweets this morning, doesn't sound like we will be signing anymore players imminently. Lee seems to rule out Spearing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Here's the deals (excluding the Academy kids without real first-team experience). Good window? Naughty window? I'd say not a bad one, considering; we still have one or two holes but given where we're at...

RELEASED (9): 
Lawrie Wilson, Reece Wabara, Lewis Buxton, Dean Moxey, Liam Trotter, Jay Spearing, Mark Davies, Tom Walker, Max Clayton 
TRANSFERRED OUT (2): 
Conor Wilkinson, Jamie Proctor
LOANEES RETURNED (4): 
Tom Thorpe, James Henry, Chris Long, Viv Solomon-Otabor

RE-SIGNED (8):
David Wheater, Dorian Dervite, Jem Karacan, Filipe Morais, Sammy Ameobi (all 1 yr);
Andrew Taylor, Adam Le Fondre, Gary Madine (all 2 yrs)
NEW SIGNINGS (4):
Mark Little, Stephen Darby, Will Buckley, Craig Noone (all 2-yr)
LOANED IN (4):
Adam Armstrong, Reece Burke, Josh Cullen, Antonee Robinson

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I liked Feeney but I've no idea whether he's still performing to the level he was when he was last with us. He wasn't anything special in his final season but then neither was anybody else. It may perhaps temper some folks expectations of Noone, if a canny manager like Warnock is happy to let him go and replace him with Feeney
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I liked Feeney but I've no idea whether he's still performing to the level he was when he was last with us. He wasn't anything special in his final season but then neither was anybody else. It may perhaps temper some folks expectations of Noone, if a canny manager like Warnock is happy to let him go and replace him with Feeney
Indeed. As ever when a player signs (if they've scored against us once or twice this seems particularly true) twitter is fawning over him. However, I can't remember ever seeing a Cardiff game and him standing out particularly to me. Not that I've watched Cardiff much. But say when they had that Peter Whittingham I always thought he stood out and looked a player in his day. But Noone? Have no idea.

I feel yesterday was a bit underwhelming considering our major midfield weakness was totally unaddressed. At least Chungy would have been a good Vela replacement. But as it stands we've signed a winger who, as you say has been replaced by Feeney. If we're playing 4-2-3-1 I'm not sure who plays the Vela role. Don't think anyone we've got suits that. At all. It'll probably be Ameobi but I really don't want him there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am
Here's the deals (excluding the Academy kids without real first-team experience). Good window? Naughty window? I'd say not a bad one, considering; we still have one or two holes but given where we're at...

RELEASED (9): 
Lawrie Wilson, Reece Wabara, Lewis Buxton, Dean Moxey, Liam Trotter, Jay Spearing, Mark Davies, Tom Walker, Max Clayton 
TRANSFERRED OUT (2): 
Conor Wilkinson, Jamie Proctor
LOANEES RETURNED (4): 
Tom Thorpe, James Henry, Chris Long, Viv Solomon-Otabor

RE-SIGNED (8):
David Wheater, Dorian Dervite, Jem Karacan, Filipe Morais, Sammy Ameobi (all 1 yr);
Andrew Taylor, Adam Le Fondre, Gary Madine (all 2 yrs)
NEW SIGNINGS (4):
Mark Little, Stephen Darby, Will Buckley, Craig Noone (all 2-yr)
LOANED IN (4):
Adam Armstrong, Reece Burke, Josh Cullen, Antonee Robinson
Cheers for that, DSB.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Boooooooooo! Booooooooooo! This was a feckin rubbish thread that left me with a tangible feeling of disappointment. No marquee signing, no world cup winners and no imposing 'beast of a man' midfielders. Instead, we now seem to have 13 wingers and #notafeckinsoul to play in the middle

Boooooooooooo! Bruce out!!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 pm
Boooooooooo! Booooooooooo! This was a feckin rubbish thread that left me with a tangible feeling of disappointment. No marquee signing, no world cup winners and no imposing 'beast of a man' midfielders. Instead, we now seem to have 13 wingers and #notafeckinsoul to play in the middle

Boooooooooooo! Bruce out!!
Burn him!!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 pm
Bruce out!!
For a Brexitian pay-off, no probs! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Julio Baptista is apparently in the hotel at the ground discussing terms and is expected to sign as a free agent....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm
Julio Baptista is apparently in the hotel at the ground discussing terms and is expected to sign as a free agent....
Semi retiree desperation. We clearly are fcuked it seems.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:12 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm
Semi retiree desperation. We clearly are fcuked it seems.
Are you mixing him up with John the Baptist? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Seems legit; photo doing the rounds.

We need a midfield hard man... :-/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:18 pm

If Baptista signs, nobody can convince me that is Parky's decision. No way on earth would Parky, from all we know about him, want a 36 year old Brazilian attacking midfield player in the situation we are in.

This has to be a Ken decision.