The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 am

ally.morrison wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 7:32 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 pm
Rangers are not on our arse if we were we would our European licence granted a few days ago
And if our leagues so tin pot says a lot about teams in your nation signing from it everybody from players to coaches 😉
Lol. Nobody who has a career goes to Scotland. End of. Apart from maybe to Celtic if they are a premiership reserve and fancy an easy trophy.

You've got 38 year old Clint Hill playing for you and you just got absolutely dicked 5-1 at home. Any team in that situation is most definitely on its arse.
Which is why he won't get a new deal so Woods Steven Butcher Stevens Gascoigne Ball to name but a few careers were over when they signed?What age are you do you know anything about your country and your players relationship with our club?

Players are happy to sign with us and play on the European center stage something they never normally get playing with championship and bottom rung EP sides

Coming to a proper football future were we don't do draws is a pressure only really good players can cope with its why so many have failed with decent pedigree of playing in the so called greatest league in the world 😉😉
That's right. Every aspiring player can't wait to get a game in at Firhill Park.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 03, 2017 10:19 am

ally.morrison wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 7:32 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 pm
Rangers are not on our arse if we were we would our European licence granted a few days ago
And if our leagues so tin pot says a lot about teams in your nation signing from it everybody from players to coaches 😉
Lol. Nobody who has a career goes to Scotland. End of. Apart from maybe to Celtic if they are a premiership reserve and fancy an easy trophy.

You've got 38 year old Clint Hill playing for you and you just got absolutely dicked 5-1 at home. Any team in that situation is most definitely on its arse.
Which is why he won't get a new deal so Woods Steven Butcher Stevens Gascoigne Ball to name but a few careers were over when they signed?What age are you do you know anything about your country and your players relationship with our club?

Players are happy to sign with us and play on the European center stage something they never normally get playing with championship and bottom rung EP sides

Coming to a proper football future were we don't do draws is a pressure only really good players can cope with its why so many have failed with decent pedigree of playing in the so called greatest league in the world 😉😉
Lets see how many top European players Rangers sign this season. And how much money they spend compared to those in the top 2 divisions in England.

Nobody at the top of their game wants to play in Scotland, especially if not for Celtic.

You're going back decades with the players you mention and even then those players weren't all in their prime when they signed for Rangers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 03, 2017 10:19 am

Mar wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 am
Nicko58 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am
If we finish 4th from bottom next season that'll do me. If we can establish ourselves as a championship club we will be very attractive for a big money foreign takeover in my view.

This is also where I'm at. If I happen to be wrong and we finish in the top half then I'd be delighted, however I just think that the step up is massive and that we're some way off being capable of doing anything but fighting to survive it yet. If we can first of all stay up, and then finish a little more comfortably the season after, then that will be good enough for me. As you say, we'll be ripe for a big money takeover at that stage.
I'm firmly in the camp of riding the wave of positivity to the top. We should aim for winning the league knowing that it is possible with the right players, staff and mentality. Can't see it happening however but working towards that objective like we did last season should see us good come the end of the season.

The club has already shown that they have imbued the right spirit across the team and with some notable signings to help lift the team we should be able to compete on a decent footing.

We've seen other teams do the double up so let's aim for that.

Being realistic however I think mid table is an achievement given our circumstances but I'd rather aim for the stars rather than being pessimistic and simply hoping for just above the drop zone.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being positive - in football and in life. What I'm not up for is being positively stupid and gambling the club's future with ridiculous expenditure speculatively based on the possibility of promotion. A reminder that last season, 11 Championship clubs each spent £25m on player wages, some as much as £41m. Half the league is on parachute payments, and as Ipswich owner Marcus Evans - hardly a man who'll ever have to shine shoes for change - noted, “The average parachute club starts with a £20 million per season head start over the rest of us. The lack of parity in the game certainly makes it harder to compete. [It] gives them a massive financial advantage.”

In fact, our old play-off rivals Ipswich are an interesting case study, forensically investigated by @SwissRamble in this article.

To repeat: I think we should aim high, but not buy a ladder we can't afford.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 03, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, saying 4th of bottom would be good isn't negative. Not in my view. I'll be delighted if we stay up. If something better happens then super. But as DSB says we should be aiming for gradual and affordable improvement. The championship is a tough league nowadays with lots of money at the top, just like the premiership.

When I think of the teams we will be playing next year, I am buzzing with excitement. Big followings coming to the Macron again, some great away games. Villa, Sunderland, Leeds etc....cannot bloody wait!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 03, 2017 10:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:19 am
ally.morrison wrote:
You're going back decades with the players you mention and even then those players weren't all in their prime when they signed for Rangers.
Some of them were, BWFCi. During the Heysel ban, Rangers' easy access to Europe – and newfound financial power - attracted quite a few decent players north. Rangers had more players (four) in England's Italia 90 squad than any other team; Trevor Steven and Gary Stevens were in their prime.

However, that's a very very long time ago, when Thatcher was still in power, before the signing of the Maastricht Treaty, before the Bosman rule, before the abolition of the backpass.

True, two of the players Ally mentioned were signed thereafter. Gascoigne was an astute but risky signing in 1995 after three unimpressive injury-dogged years at Lazio. Michael Ball, signed in 2001, was a bang-average player leaving a club (Everton) in financial trouble. And that's the final cited example, 16 years ago.

More pertinently, I don't know quite what the juddering frig any of this discussion (English players in Scotland) has to do with Bolton signing any players, except that Ally seems to have two tunes to play: Scottish players should go south because they're good enough to play in England, but English players should go north because Scotland's wonderful.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am

Two fcukin tedious tunes at that! He's either an agent who thinks we have a line to Ken or someone with too much time on his hands!

Looking forward to a proper transfer thread this summer, dont want to have to wade through chat about dogshit scottish players!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am
Two fcukin tedious tunes at that! He's either an agent who thinks we have a line to Ken or someone with too much time on his hands!

Looking forward to a proper transfer thread this summer, dont want to have to wade through chat about dogshit scottish players!
:pray: :pray:

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Wed May 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Wow they were not in there prime really Butcher was captain of England in 1986 we signed him plenty of others failed like Jeffers that was meant to be the next best thing

Yes I have to much time on my hands and if I was a agent then I would be cutting the at bigger clubs not here anyway doubt any of you watch the Scottish leagues you have no idea if the players are dogshit or the dawgz baws

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2017 1:14 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 1:11 pm
doubt any of you watch the Scottish leagues you have no idea if the players are dogshit or the dawgz baws
Correct. Because we're not fcuking interested and don't play in the Scottish leagues. We probably don't generally watch the Welsh leagues, Danish leagues, Swedish leagues etc. either.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 03, 2017 2:19 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Wow they were not in there prime really Butcher was captain of England in 1986 we signed him plenty of others failed like Jeffers that was meant to be the next best thing

Yes I have to much time on my hands and if I was a agent then I would be cutting the at bigger clubs not here anyway doubt any of you watch the Scottish leagues you have no idea if the players are dogshit or the dawgz baws
Mate, even when I watch an EPL game I don't know half the players as I'm interested in Bolton Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers alone. Even if I watch England there's usually at least two players that I don't know.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed May 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Norwich are set to release 7 players. Wonder if we'll be in for any of them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 03, 2017 4:07 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 2:54 pm
Doubt it. Most are overpaid and over the hill. Kyle Lafferty had his uses for Burnley a decade ago and has had some good games up top for Norn Iron, but since returning from his tour around Rangers, Sion and Palermo he's scored 3 in 36 Championship games.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:07 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Doubt it. Most are overpaid and over the hill. Kyle Lafferty had his uses for Burnley a decade ago and has had some good games up top for Norn Iron, but since returning from his tour around Rangers, Sion and Palermo he's scored 3 in 36 Championship games.
We probably can't afford Bassong either who at 30 would be a good addition on a 2 year deal imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm
jmjhb wrote:
We probably can't afford Bassong either who at 30 would be a good addition on a 2 year deal imo

Correlation doesn't imply causation and all that, but Bassong has been relegated six times in his career. That has to be a bit of a red flag.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm
jmjhb wrote:

Correlation doesn't imply causation and all that, but Bassong has been relegated six times in his career. That has to be a bit of a red flag.
Bloody hell! That's a worse record than Lever End!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 04, 2017 12:46 am

Bastard. :spank:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu May 04, 2017 8:00 am

Wed May 03, 2017 10:19 am
Mar wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 am
Nicko58 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am
If we finish 4th from bottom next season that'll do me. If we can establish ourselves as a championship club we will be very attractive for a big money foreign takeover in my view.

This is also where I'm at. If I happen to be wrong and we finish in the top half then I'd be delighted, however I just think that the step up is massive and that we're some way off being capable of doing anything but fighting to survive it yet. If we can first of all stay up, and then finish a little more comfortably the season after, then that will be good enough for me. As you say, we'll be ripe for a big money takeover at that stage.
I'm firmly in the camp of riding the wave of positivity to the top. We should aim for winning the league knowing that it is possible with the right players, staff and mentality. Can't see it happening however but working towards that objective like we did last season should see us good come the end of the season.

The club has already shown that they have imbued the right spirit across the team and with some notable signings to help lift the team we should be able to compete on a decent footing.

We've seen other teams do the double up so let's aim for that.

Being realistic however I think mid table is an achievement given our circumstances but I'd rather aim for the stars rather than being pessimistic and simply hoping for just above the drop zone.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being positive - in football and in life. What I'm not up for is being positively stupid and gambling the club's future with ridiculous expenditure speculatively based on the possibility of promotion. A reminder that last season, 11 Championship clubs each spent £25m on player wages, some as much as £41m. Half the league is on parachute payments, and as Ipswich owner Marcus Evans - hardly a man who'll ever have to shine shoes for change - noted, “The average parachute club starts with a £20 million per season head start over the rest of us. The lack of parity in the game certainly makes it harder to compete. [It] gives them a massive financial advantage.”

In fact, our old play-off rivals Ipswich are an interesting case study, forensically investigated by @SwissRamble in this article.

To repeat: I think we should aim high, but not buy a ladder we can't afford.
Agreed. I very much doubt this will be a financially driven season but more a season of what can be achieved given our lack of finances. We're playing catchup already and the standout factor we have at the minute is the crest of flying high on the back of promotion. Should we carry that onto the season and keep it going then we should avoid the malaise and disinterest that ultimately ended up sending Lennons team down.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 2:19 pm
ally.morrison wrote:

Mate, even when I watch an EPL game I don't know half the players as I'm interested in Bolton Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers alone. Even if I watch England there's usually at least two players that I don't know.
Exactly where I'm at these days! Really couldn't care less about other teams.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am

I do! :D Keep it up ally.morrison!

Though I believe he will learn in time about this forum's tendency to argue minutiae. Even regarding Scots fitba.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... act_calls/

No rush to sort contracts out. I like this approach. For once we are in a good position (IF Ken sorts the embargo and finances out of course). We can make good decisions on which players we want to keep and for how much. Parky talks a lot of sense here.

For example more I think about it, more I wonder whether signing 31 year old Morais makes sense. Lads been superb, but, will he continue having that sort of impact? Looking at his career this appears to be a high rather than something he will necessarily maintain.

Good that Parky isn't rushing decisions and is having a proper think. Ken does need to get a move on so everyone knows what budget we're working to (and get that embargo gone). That will help decision making processes.