The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am

Habib Habibou elicited some howling laughter from my Leeds ST colleagues today. Cant see it myself.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am

Read some Barnsley fans saying Armstrong is not ready yet for the Championship. They say League 1 is his level at the moment.

20 goals in 40 games for Coventry in 2015/16 suggest he should be ready for the Championship.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am
Habib Habibou elicited some howling laughter from my Leeds ST colleagues today. Cant see it myself.
Leeds binning off unsettled continental strikers: that's always worked out well hasn't it?
8b0cb596bcbb15c5f99f17b6981adb35--football-stickers-football-cards.jpg
8b0cb596bcbb15c5f99f17b6981adb35--football-stickers-football-cards.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
Anyways, he might come to summat and he might come to nowt, but as someone who married into a Leeds family I'd note that yon part of the nation is as obsessively negative and derogatory as the Geordie lot are passionately positive (read: deluded). In short, I'll trust Parky's judgement over a Peacock fancier's.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm

I predict that we'll give that Habibou a trial. Then politely decline. Cannot see us signing him myself.

We do desperately need a Madine upgrade, or at the absolute least a player who can do the same job to give Madine a rest and keep him fresh.

Listening to his interview Armstrong says he can play wide...my suspicion is that is where he'll play mostly.

We are in my view buying to the 4-2-3-1 system Parky favoured at the start of last season. We can re-create it with Ameobi back and Armstrong pretending to be Zach (similar sorts I'm told though seems Armstrong is more pacy and perhaps less technical than Zach).

The anomalies are, where does ALF fit in? And also we don't have a natural midfield 2 as yet. Really need a defensive screen in there. Or a very physical type.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 pm

We've had three "senior" games so far and AFAIK we haven't played a back three at any point: we seem to have alternated between 4-2-3-1 and 4-diamond-2. The latter shape doesn't include wingers – which would be a weird preference considering we've renewed Morais, captured Buckley and re-signed Ameobi – but I think we've been picking it more through necessity of available players than through an overwhelming desire to play that system.

If we don't play a back three at Fylde tonight or Fleetwood on Saturday, you have to imagine the odds are lengthening on it being used with any regularity during the season. To some extent that makes sense considering the wide signings, especially if Armstrong is to be deployed as Zach II. I'm still wondering if PP might be contemplating occasionally playing Ameobi at No.10 (in a 4231 or 352) if the occasion calls for prioritising extra attacking creativity over the hard midfield running of a Vela.

None of which explains where ALF fits in...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Alf can play as the 1 in a 4231 providing we remember not to lump it. It of course depends on the 3 behind, but with much movement and passing it could work. ALF is the most likely goalscorer we've got and I think he needs to be playing regularly to get anywhere near the best from him. I can see Ameobi playing off him with 2 wide capable of coming inside and interchanging working reasonably well.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:08 pm

If it's still 4-2-3-1 imagine Armstrong will start on the bench behind Buckley from the left. Buckley is 6ft, Ameobi 6'3, Vela 5'10. Possible you could get away with ALF through the middle on his todd if surrounded by that physicality?

Can't tell at the moment. If it was going to be a 3 I'd expect another CB (and for us to play it in pre-season). 4-2-3-1? Lot's of short strikers you'd prefer in a two? 4-4-2 diamond? Why buy all the wingers? 4-4-2? Just...why? Maybe it's gonna be a flat 2. Legs of two of Jem/Darren/Vela. Not sure inverted wingers works then. And you lose a lot from Vela.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:10 pm

toon supporting mate of mine - who's view on footy I do very much respect - reckons Armstrong is the business. He'd have preferred Newcastle to have kept him, but reckons he's not in favour with Rafa and maybe not quite ready for the Premiership. He reckons we've got a great player who should be able to do a job for us...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 pm
Alf can play as the 1 in a 4231 providing we remember not to lump it. It of course depends on the 3 behind, but with much movement and passing it could work. ALF is the most likely goalscorer we've got and I think he needs to be playing regularly to get anywhere near the best from him. I can see Ameobi playing off him with 2 wide capable of coming inside and interchanging working reasonably well.
Honestly don't think he can. I mean he "can" but for me is ineffective. The 1 needs to keep the centre halves busy they either need a lot of pace or a physical presence, ideally both. ALF doesn't really have either. So is easy to defend against on his own. The idea that we're going to be playing tiki-taka and ALF only need be involved in the box is pie in the sky. Whoever plays up front needs to be a focal point, either by stretching defences in behind or out wide or by outmuscling the centre halves and letting us win second balls. Neither is really a strong part of ALF's game.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Honestly don't think he can. I mean he "can" but for me is ineffective. The 1 needs to keep the centre halves busy they either need a lot of pace or a physical presence, ideally both. ALF doesn't really have either. So is easy to defend against on his own. The idea that we're going to be playing tiki-taka and ALF only need be involved in the box is pie in the sky. Whoever plays up front needs to be a focal point, either by stretching defences in behind or out wide or by outmuscling the centre halves and letting us win second balls. Neither is really a strong part of ALF's game.
Movement from the 4, themselves and the ball. Not tika taka, just proper pass and move. The whole concept that you have to be fast or physical is pie in the sky. Unless you've got Maldini reading the game then movement will create opportunity. Lumping it at Madine will lose more games than moving the ball around ALF. Not saying ALF is THE answer, but if this toon lad is fast and clever, with the unpredictability of Ameobi and an on song Buckley then it will create the chances we need.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I think he's quick enough to ask the question in behind. I think we might get away with it if Buckley and Ameobi are the wingers as your "out ball" suddenly becomes either of them on the full-back (in the way we often used SKD when he and Anelka played together).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:37 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am
Read some Barnsley fans saying Armstrong is not ready yet for the Championship. They say League 1 is his level at the moment.

20 goals in 40 games for Coventry in 2015/16 suggest he should be ready for the Championship.
Whereas my NUFC supporting chums are quite perplexed as to why The Prick won't give him a run out.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Have to agree with Insaneo here. We saw what happened when ALF played in a one towards the end of last season when we couldn't score for shite and ended up handing out our buffer points like sandwiches.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Have to agree with Insaneo here. We saw what happened when ALF played in a one towards the end of last season when we couldn't score for shite and ended up handing out our buffer points like sandwiches.
I think the difference is who is around him and us having proper movement as opposed to watching the ball sail over heads.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 pm
I think the difference is who is around him and us having proper movement as opposed to watching the ball sail over heads.
The same for this Armstrong. If they (Alf/Armstrong) are in a team that plays to their strengths they're more likely to do well.

Armstrong is aiming for 10 goals before January (can't find the quote but he was challenged by Rafa to get 10 goals at Bolton). Playing out wide might make that a little bit trickier. Presumably, they've all discussed what the plan is so there's not going to be any surprises if he's used sparingly or played out wide. The 10 goal quote did sound like he was aiming to be starting games and playing up front to me.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am
Leeds binning off unsettled continental strikers: that's always worked out well hasn't it?

8b0cb596bcbb15c5f99f17b6981adb35--football-stickers-football-cards.jpg

Anyways, he might come to summat and he might come to nowt, but as someone who married into a Leeds family I'd note that yon part of the nation is as obsessively negative and derogatory as the Geordie lot are passionately positive (read: deluded). In short, I'll trust Parky's judgement over a Peacock fancier's.
Hahaha thats a stretch DSB! Cantona to the filth is a bit before my time, but Inalways thought they didnt want to sell anyway did they? But I do trust these lads opinions so far as you would a Leeds fan and I mentioned his name and it brought a reaction we might have about say Akin Bulent or Djibril Diawara.

Tonights trialist sounda wholly more realistic though I doubt provides the pace that our back line seriously lacks.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:33 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
The same for this Armstrong. If they (Alf/Armstrong) are in a team that plays to their strengths they're more likely to do well.

Armstrong is aiming for 10 goals before January (can't find the quote but he was challenged by Rafa to get 10 goals at Bolton). Playing out wide might make that a little bit trickier. Presumably, they've all discussed what the plan is so there's not going to be any surprises if he's used sparingly or played out wide. The 10 goal quote did sound like he was aiming to be starting games and playing up front to me.
Unless Armstrong thinks he's Henry (the French one) and will score goals galore coming inside :D

The way I see it is I'd rather play to ALF's and Armstrong's strengths than Madine's. That of course is in a binary world and I'd like to think it isn't beyond the wit of manager and team to mix it up a little :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 am
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Unless Armstrong thinks he's Henry (the French one) and will score goals galore coming inside :D

The way I see it is I'd rather play to ALF's and Armstrong's strengths than Madine's. That of course is in a binary world and I'd like to think it isn't beyond the wit of manager and team to mix it up a little :)
Madine's presence improves ALF no end and I'd bet everything the same will be said for Armstrong.

Modern game I think that 90% of the time you need a target up there. Which is why we need another targetman type adding in.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 am
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Madine's presence improves ALF no end and I'd bet everything the same will be said for Armstrong.

Modern game I think that 90% of the time you need a target up there. Which is why we need another targetman type adding in.
I f you play a target man, you need a target man, not Nadine.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:15 am

I notice we have Alex Bruce on trial. 32 year old Centre Half. Had lengthy spells at Hull and Leeds and Ipswich (mostly at this level with a few in the PL). Should he sign it'll add some competition in defence alongside Dervite behind the first choice duo of Beevers and Wheater and probably give us an option if we want to go 3 at the back with one of them in reserve.