Retained list

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Retained list

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

If come mid July we are still in embargo then we will be getting relegated next season. You can't compete in the championship on a side made up exclusively of free transfers with squad restrictions in place. It simply isn't happening. (Remember the embargo precludes us from paying loan fees so even the best loan players would be out of reach).
Really? Do you really think the embargo makes that much difference? If the embargo is lifted do you think our transfer policy will be much different than if it remains?

Don't get me wrong, we need the embargo to be lifted. We need the ability to compete on a level footing in the transfer market and pay modest fees for promising players. But regardless of the embargo, we are still skint, and even after shedding some big earners we are losing money or barely breaking even. I feel we are going to have to "compete in the championship on a side made up exclusively of free transfers" regardless, with the addition of some loans that don't involve a loan fee.

We are lucky in that we have a number of Championship level players already signed or who can (hopefully) be retained from last season. So we can be competitive without signing too many players, and without paying fees. A squad of Dervite, Wheater, Beevers, Derik, Spearing, Pratley, Karacan, Vela, Morais, Taylor, Madine, Le Fondre, Plus the best two of the four keepers we have already contracted, plus say Amari'i Bell, Stephen Darby, Sammy Ameobi, and then two or three loans of attacking players from Prem clubs and we already have a good chance of staying up imho. And if those attacking players include the next Tammy Abraham or Sam Gallagher we could even do well...
Makes a huge difference. For many reasons. Primarily because the model for adding quality for us in the championship will be loans from premiership clubs. Those players are in demand and attract a loan fee. One we aren't allowed to pay under embargo.

Also because even free transfers need league approval and as Parky said in a recent interview, because of that we missed out on several players last summer, as players didn't want to sign for a club under embargo.

I think it is crucial. Parky said during the town hall event, that we got away with the embargo last season. But that we wouldn't be able to do so the league higher. I agree with him.

It clearly doesn't mean we will be spending big fees, but it opens up a lot of crucial markets. There may even be some foreign bargains to be had for very modest fees.

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Mon May 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Totally agree with the above post.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Let us not underestimate Parky's skill at attracting the right players to the club in the most trying of circumstances, which, I feel, will be called upon to the hilt in the coming weeks - embargo or no.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 16, 2017 6:16 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:52 pm
Restrained
Retrained :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 am

I'd rather not be paying loan fees and wages, I'd much prefer that money is invested in our own players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 am
I'd rather not be paying loan fees and wages, I'd much prefer that money is invested in our own players.
In an ideal world, yes. But we're not in one. We won't have the money to buy in the required quality. See what Huddersfield have done this season with a number of premiership loan players. Remarkable really. They were down near the bottom last year.

Loans will be essential to our survival. Sure it is short termism, but then again, if we stay up, the increased income allows us to invest more widely and over time bring more players through our ranks (in theory). If we go straight back down again though then we're back to square one.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am

No news on the grown-ups yet, but we've offered an extra year to five scholars. Over to academy chief Jiminho Phillips (per BN):
We've offered third-year scholarships to five of our players, three of which are from the Bolton area – Cole Lonsdale, Harry Brockbank and Jack Earing. We’ve also offered an extra year to Alex Samizadeh, from Manchester, and Ryan White, from Blackpool, so there’s a real North West feel to the lads we’ve kept on at the club.

It’s a big year for the players because I have seen in the past players who struggled in their first and second year really blossom in their third. When I look back at Joey O’Brien and Nicky Hunt it wasn’t until the third year of their scholarship did they really show what they were capable of on a football field. It’s vital we kept those boys on and there’s a lot of development to take place.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm

As expected, Wigan have released Andy Taylor – plus Jussi, Stephen Warnock and Gabriel Obertan.

Our old friend Gregg Wylde has left Millwall by mutual consent.

Earlier (this month), Sheffield United released striker Marc McNulty and midfielder Stefan Scougall (both 24), while transfer-listing James Wilson, Chris Hussey and Matt "Job" Done.

Leeds have released Ross Turnbull, Jordan Botaka and Billy Whitehouse plus U23s Jack Vann, Michael Taylor and Alex Purver.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 am
In an ideal world, yes. But we're not in one. We won't have the money to buy in the required quality. See what Huddersfield have done this season with a number of premiership loan players. Remarkable really. They were down near the bottom last year.

Loans will be essential to our survival. Sure it is short termism, but then again, if we stay up, the increased income allows us to invest more widely and over time bring more players through our ranks (in theory). If we go straight back down again though then we're back to square one.
Another way to look at it is that a loan player is motivated to play well because they're looking for suitors. Similar to 12-month contracts. I'm in favour of both if it means we aren't stuck paying the wages of a turkey for 3 years. Appearance incentives seem like a good motivational idea too, unless they backfire into a revolt. After recent seasons I don't think you can take it for granted that your star signings are going to show up most weeks.

Reading that the club gets money from Holding and Clough for a long time to come gives me some hope that someone is on top of things.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Blackburn have released skipper Jason Lowe plus defenders Adam Henley, Wes Brown, Gordon Greer and Joshua Askew, midfielders Hope Akpan and Danny Guthrie and marvellously-named striker Ramirez Howarth.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Lowe would be handy for his versatility and he's still quite young at 25/26?

Henley, was pretty highly regarded, but he's only played 80 games in 6.5 years, so must be pretty injury prone, or just not developed as much as they'd hoped!

Don't think either will struggle to find a decentish contract somewhere
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Henley, was pretty highly regarded, but he's only played 80 games in 6.5 years, so must be pretty injury prone, or just not developed as much as they'd hoped!

If you're anything like me, might there be a slight possibility of confusion between Henley and Grant Hanley? Apologies if I've unfairly maligned you.

I too was intrigued by Lowe but a friend who used to cover Blackburn doesn't think he's up to much – not outstanding at anything, a bit average in all areas, sometimes a little slow to the ball. I fear he may even have used, as a comparison, the word "Trotter".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Hmmm, Danny Guthrie's an interesting one. Showed bags of potential when on loan to us but had little end product. I know he's older now but doesn't appear to have ever really stuck anywhere.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm

The ever reliable HITC website has ALF, David Wheater, Gary Madine, Filip Morais and Jem Karacan all turning down contract offers. No mention of Spearing.

No "understood", or "rumoured to have" in the article.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/18/se ... ct-offers/
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Every time I submit a tender it gets turned down. If it wasn't then I'd feel embarrassed.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Yep, haggling I guess. Although maybe someone is shit stirring if it's being made public.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 pm

If you're anything like me, might there be a slight possibility of confusion between Henley and Grant Hanley? Apologies if I've unfairly maligned you.

I too was intrigued by Lowe but a friend who used to cover Blackburn doesn't think he's up to much – not outstanding at anything, a bit average in all areas, sometimes a little slow to the ball. I fear he may even have used, as a comparison, the word "Trotter".
No Hanley went to Newcastle(?)... Henley is a mixed race lad who came through quite young

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 19, 2017 9:12 am

Wheater, Spearing, Le Fondre, Karacan & Morais have turned down extensions. Wheater has confirmed on Instagram that the first offer is being 'negotiated'

Looks like the club is cutting costs to a probably more realistic level, but if you've got a big mortgage to pay..........

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 am

Hope we sign Henley. Went to school with our kid and I'd quite like an inside source.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.