Retained list

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Retained list

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:09 pm
Felsted? Do you mean Wales' No.1 Felgate?
Good old auto correct! He's the badger :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am

Sounds like we might have a few re-signings over next week or two!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am
Why so? I wonder if we may have our decision-making delayed by next Monday's court case.

Remember, last summer Wheater left and returned. I know we're dealing with people rather than stock but my hunch is that if we're unsure it's better to let go; if they really want to return and we can't find better options, the door will remain open.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 am

Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Why so? I wonder if we may have our decision-making delayed by next Monday's court case.

Remember, last summer Wheater left and returned. I know we're dealing with people rather than stock but my hunch is that if we're unsure it's better to let go; if they really want to return and we can't find better options, the door will remain open.
On't official site, Ken said he hoped to be making "positive and exciting announcements" over the next couple of weeks. On the football side of things.

Lee Anderson also tweeted this morning that it was a big week ahead.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Why so?
On't official site, Ken said he hoped to be making "positive and exciting announcements" over the next couple of weeks. On the football side of things.

Hmm. Well, it's nice to see you're happy, but I'm not sure I agree with your reading of things. Ken's always pledging exciting and positive et ceteras, while Lee's tweet could mean anything. Big week of telling players they're no longer wanted? Big week of negotiations to get them below a bar above which we shall not go? Big week of his various clients finding out whether or not they're wanted?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 am

Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Why so?

Hmm. Well, it's nice to see you're happy, but I'm not sure I agree with your reading of things. Ken's always pledging exciting and positive et ceteras, while Lee's tweet could mean anything. Big week of telling players they're no longer wanted? Big week of negotiations to get them below a bar above which we shall not go? Big week of his various clients finding out whether or not they're wanted?
Aye. Could mean lots of things. And could result in nowt. But the inference was definitely good news....mind they might be expecting negotiations to be easier than they turn out.

We'll see.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am

Could also mean he expects his old man to finally complete the takeover, but my breath remains unbated :?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 am

Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am
Could also mean he expects his old man to finally complete the takeover, but my breath remains unbated :?
He's bought some shares off Deano already. The rest I strongly suspect will depend on the court hearing between Blu Marble and Deano's company later this month.

Think the announcements alluded to will be players agreeing deals to stay on. If anything.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Leave him be DSB. We might get the worried Insane back next week, so let's enjoy the happiness whilst it lasts :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm
Leave him be DSB. We might get the worried Insane back next week, so let's enjoy the happiness whilst it lasts :D
One can be worried about certain things without necessarily worrying about others...

DSB is right, there is a cloud over us right now that has been here too long and needs shifting. Until that is sorted and the embargo gone it is right to be worried.

However, Ken, Lee etc have done a good job in working around that so far, and initially this summer I expect them to do the same.

If come mid July we are still in embargo then we will be getting relegated next season. You can't compete in the championship on a side made up exclusively of free transfers with squad restrictions in place. It simply isn't happening. (Remember the embargo precludes us from paying loan fees so even the best loan players would be out of reach). Even Parkinson has admitted that. So I'd say KA has a couple of months to strike agreement, get BM off the case, pay off all immediate debts and present a convincing business plan to the league, signed off by our new auditors, to convince them he's got us financially covered next season.

That for me is the bottom line.

However, I do expect the club to be able to keep some key players from last season. How many, and who, we shall see.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 15, 2017 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
One can be worried about certain things without necessarily worrying about others...

DSB is right, there is a cloud over us right now that has been here too long and needs shifting. Until that is sorted and the embargo gone it is right to be worried.

However, Ken, Lee etc have done a good job in working around that so far, and initially this summer I expect them to do the same.

If come mid July we are still in embargo then we will be getting relegated next season. You can't compete in the championship on a side made up exclusively of free transfers with squad restrictions in place. It simply isn't happening. (Remember the embargo precludes us from paying loan fees so even the best loan players would be out of reach). Even Parkinson has admitted that. So I'd say KA has a couple of months to strike agreement, get BM off the case, pay off all immediate debts and present a convincing business plan to the league, signed off by our new auditors, to convince them he's got us financially covered next season.

That for me is the bottom line.

However, I do expect the club to be able to keep some key players from last season. How many, and who, we shall see.
Now that made me sit up a touch coming from a person who constantly told us what a great job Gartside was doing :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Now that made me sit up a touch coming from a person who constantly told us what a great job Gartside was doing :wink:
Lets not go there. Only for the sanity of this thread and spirit of looking forwards.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 pm

On the topic of retained/released lists: Derby aren't releasing any senior players, just U23 lads Alefe Santos and Tom Mellors, who might interest our new scout (when appointed) for Didsy's lot.

Santos is a Brazilian winger who has been at various English clubs - Stoke as a kid, first-team breakthrough Bristol Rovers, nearly moved to top-flight Hull, opted for Derby, didn't play a league game, loaned to Notts County and Eastleigh. DOB 1/3/95.

Mellors is a striker who signed a one-year deal last year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 15, 2017 1:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:27 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Lets not go there. Only for the sanity of this thread and spirit of looking forwards.
Okay but it really is just game playing guessing who stays, who goes, who we can sign until the business side of things is sorted and the league get off our backs.
For what it's worth I believe Ken is doing a reasonable job motivated by, in the not too distant future, moving on and turning in a profit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:27 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Okay but it really is just game playing guessing who stays, who goes, who we can sign until the business side of things is sorted and the league get off our backs.
For what it's worth I believe Ken is doing a reasonable job motivated by, in the not too distant future, moving on and turning in a profit.
I'm sure we can re-sign players without the embargo being too much of an issue. Might be different for those loan players we had as their registrations would still be with their parent clubs (unless they permanently signed here till the end of the season).

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am

Most likely to mean, "please buy a season ticket in anticipation of some unspecified excitement ahead." :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 2:17 pm
I'm sure we can re-sign players without the embargo being too much of an issue. Might be different for those loan players we had as their registrations would still be with their parent clubs (unless they permanently signed here till the end of the season).
None of them did, but many are now freebies. Thorpe's already been told he'll be turned loose; ALF, Henry and ATaylor are all free agents next month and all unlikely to be so much as offered terms by their parent clubs, so that's a matter of waiting six weeks; Karacan is also a free agent pretty much as of now. Long and Viv Solomon-Otabor are still under contract next season (and the one after in Viv's case).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Is it definite that Insane is being retained next season?...... :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Restrained

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

If come mid July we are still in embargo then we will be getting relegated next season. You can't compete in the championship on a side made up exclusively of free transfers with squad restrictions in place. It simply isn't happening. (Remember the embargo precludes us from paying loan fees so even the best loan players would be out of reach).
Really? Do you really think the embargo makes that much difference? If the embargo is lifted do you think our transfer policy will be much different than if it remains?

Don't get me wrong, we need the embargo to be lifted. We need the ability to compete on a level footing in the transfer market and pay modest fees for promising players. But regardless of the embargo, we are still skint, and even after shedding some big earners we are losing money or barely breaking even. I feel we are going to have to "compete in the championship on a side made up exclusively of free transfers" regardless, with the addition of some loans that don't involve a loan fee.

We are lucky in that we have a number of Championship level players already signed or who can (hopefully) be retained from last season. So we can be competitive without signing too many players, and without paying fees. A squad of Dervite, Wheater, Beevers, Derik, Spearing, Pratley, Karacan, Vela, Morais, Taylor, Madine, Le Fondre, Plus the best two of the four keepers we have already contracted, plus say Amari'i Bell, Stephen Darby, Sammy Ameobi, and then two or three loans of attacking players from Prem clubs and we already have a good chance of staying up imho. And if those attacking players include the next Tammy Abraham or Sam Gallagher we could even do well...