EMBARGO LIFTED!! #Boom

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

EMBARGO LIFTED!! #Boom

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Surely worthy of it's own thread?

Well done Ken!!

Parky - Get some midfielders signed asap!!

All may not be lost this season...

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/septem ... go-update/

onlywanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: EMBARGO LIFTED!! #Boom

Post by onlywanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Undoubtedly good news.

But we're still skint, no?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm

We are skint, aye , so it will be interesting to see how far we can stretch things.

Personally I wouldn't be spending (wage) money on Julio Baptista, unless it's very low wages for a very short term (to January and we'll see?). More interested in Joey O'Brien, who's actually what we need (unless Baptista is a complete forward who can win headers, hold up play and score goals) – but I'd be even more interested in Jay Spearing, and yes I know the club have ruled it out. We need a midfield schemer, someone who can break up attacks and start our own.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm
We are skint, aye , so it will be interesting to see how far we can stretch things.

Personally I wouldn't be spending (wage) money on Julio Baptista, unless it's very low wages for a very short term (to January and we'll see?). More interested in Joey O'Brien, who's actually what we need (unless Baptista is a complete forward who can win headers, hold up play and score goals) – but I'd be even more interested in Jay Spearing, and yes I know the club have ruled it out. We need a midfield schemer, someone who can break up attacks and start our own.
Yes I agree, midfield is the priority. Baptista and O'Brien wouldn't be the answer there. Diagouraga and Mulumbu if they could be restored to their best would be options for the midfield too, as well as Spearing. The problem we are going to have is that free agents are likely to be behind in terms of fitness levels. There is a 2 week break at the end of September. I hope Parky can get a couple in before then...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Spearing would be my number one. Seems to be bridges burnt there. Also keen to get the likes of Perry, Turner and King in the squad.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm
Spearing would be my number one. Seems to be bridges burnt there. Also keen to get the likes of Perry, Turner and King in the squad.
I don't want Spearing - I don't think he's what we need at all, the midfield is small enough.

We need a taller 6ft type combative, aggressive, hard working central midfielder who can be a bit imposing.

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 pm

I have put a lucky dip on euromillions it only £115 million if I win it all I will make a cheque out to Phil.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I don't want Spearing - I don't think he's what we need at all, the midfield is small enough.

We need a taller 6ft type combative, aggressive, hard working central midfielder who can be a bit imposing.
Sounds like Pratley that description.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Spearing struggled at times last season. Not championship standard. I would avoid him unless nothing else available. O'Brien was a crock for us. Too injury prone. Not sure who else is free but if you look at these players you have to wonder why nobody else has signed them up

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

I assume that this is a piss take, as Pratley doesn't match any of that description apart from being around 6ft....

He can't tackle, is soft as shite, slow & cumbersome and isn't even hard working - he's a fecking carthorse

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Agreed but my scouting network hasnt seen one of them for free. Maybe in January.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Yay.

Great news. Been a long time coming but glad to see that monkey off our back.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Interesting Iles say's this in the BEN article on the lifting of the Embargo:
It is understood that while the Whites have technically come out of embargo, the EFL will be insisting various financial criteria are met to allow the club to operate freely.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

I assume that this is a piss take, as Pratley doesn't match any of that description apart from being around 6ft....

He can't tackle, is soft as shite, slow & cumbersome and isn't even hard working - he's a fecking carthorse

Of course it is. Pratley was barely good enough last season. Out of his depth at Championship level now.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Well thats bollocks. We're either under embargo or not - they cant approve our ownership / business plan or whatever and say that they think we are a bit dodgy still and continue to monitor us. Thats not in the rules.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 pm
Well thats bollocks. We're either under embargo or not - they cant approve our ownership / business plan or whatever and say that they think we are a bit dodgy still and continue to monitor us. Thats not in the rules.
I don't see the problem. I think it's probably a stipulation of you can come out of the embargo provided you have a few checks put in place to satisfy certain criteria. It's likely to be either that or they continue to monitor us under embargo and stop us from signing any players.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 pm

I've been informed on pretty good authority, that the embargo has not been lifted, only softened. Meaning we can promote youngsters, but still cannot buy players, or sign out of contract players without the same approval we've had since 1902 or however long we've been embargoed
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

That would make some sense. Otherwise you have to question why we haven't had some of these out of contract players in through the door.

Then again Iles has us signing an ex watford player and Joey O Brien??!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 pm
I've been informed on pretty good authority, that the embargo has not been lifted, only softened. Meaning we can promote youngsters, but still cannot buy players, or sign out of contract players without the same approval we've had since 1902 or however long we've been embargoed
I can quite believe this, Iles has stated that he believes parts of the embargo still remain, and that neither Ken nor the EFL are prepared to provide clarification. Does your source have any information on the salary cap? Presumably the fact that youngsters can play means the squad limit cap has gone. And as OD says we are being linked with, and indeed Parky and Ken are both referring to signing out of contract players, suggesting that the squad limit cap has gone and either they have EFL approval, or are confident of getting EFL approval to sign out of contract players?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 pm
Iles was asked this on his last Facebook live. Basically he said he doesn't know. But sounds like we are under some sort of restriction, exactly what that is, seems unclear. Guess we will find out.