The Alternatives

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Alternatives

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:35 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 am
Maybe the return of Ameobi might return to Postman to his best beat. Sammy suits 4-2-3-1 much better than a 3-5-2 (unless you play him at No.10?), although recently we've been looking more of a 3-4-3. Whatever the formation, the problem is goals, and the lack of them is often due to not getting players up and around Madine. The return of Sammy (and, a bit later, Vela) is our main hope.
I'll throw the question out to the posters on here regarding this point as I'm interested in what the fans think - this not getting players up and around Madine (which is true because there is normally no one within 30-40 yards of him when the team fire aimless balls at his head on a very regular basis).

Is this because our players are not good enough or perhaps not fit enough and have perhaps never done this at their previous clubs OR is it what Parkinson or Parkin coaches and they are told not to get forward quickly as it creates gaps in midfield ?
I think it's a sympton of our lack of creativity, and how ineffective we are on the ball. We've been playing Madine with ALF/Armstrong to give him support up the pitch, but if they want to ever touch the ball their only option is to drop into midfield or pull out wide.

I'd quite like to see Buckley-Noone-Sammy playing behind one of the strikers, should everyone ever be fit enough.
Indeed. Buckley hasn't been fit in over 2 years now though. Faint hope of him being a regular. However, Noone, Sammy and Vela...given Vela can shoot...might work.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am
Tombwfc wrote:
I'd quite like to see Buckley-Noone-Sammy playing behind one of the strikers, should everyone ever be fit enough.
Indeed. Buckley hasn't been fit in over 2 years now though. Faint hope of him being a regular. However, Noone, Sammy and Vela...given Vela can shoot...might work.
I like Tom's trio, although both he and BWFCi are right to caveat based on fitness. We've also got Morais as a sub/alternative along that attacking-midfield line. But we are indeed more likely to play Vela as the 10, asking him to plough back and forth as he did last season.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:38 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am
Tombwfc wrote:
I like Tom's trio, although both he and BWFCi are right to caveat based on fitness. We've also got Morais as a sub/alternative along that attacking-midfield line. But we are indeed more likely to play Vela as the 10, asking him to plough back and forth as he did last season.
Yeah, I think where Vela will improve us the most is defensively. Sure he can shoot will add a goal or two, but also he is pretty strong, and runs all day, and last season was the trigger for the press that often meant us regaining possession high up the pitch. Even the likes of Madine and Clough were harassing the opposition in support of Vela's initial press. Once teams have to work harder to keep it in their defensive areas, the quality into the attacking areas isn't as good. We have badly missed that this season. Leeds, Derby, Hull, Middlesbrough have all kept possession and created chances against us easily, with barely a tackle made against them. Middlesbrough in particular achieved 66% possession, and their central midfielders and central defenders just kept it between themselves until one of the attacking players was ready to make a run. It was way too easy. Vela would have interfered with that for sure.