Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am

On Sam, I'm still not convinced he's done. He does like a pay cheque, and who can blame him? Football has been his life, and although he'll happily be a pundit (and probably start a Hard-Hitting Redtop Column) he'll miss the thrill of it.

International management would have been an ideal step down from the day-to-day; obviously England's gone, and the other home nations are locked up for a while – he might have been in the frame for Norn Iron if Michael O'Neill had hopped over to Scotland. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he took a short-term national-team contract somewhere, like Redknapp with Jordan; note that back in November the threw his hat into the ring for the USA job, which is still vacant...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am
jmjhb wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 am
He wouldn't drop two divisions when he's still a viable contender for Prem jobs.

All he needs to do is wait till a struggling Prem club pots their manager, get appointed for 6 months, keep them up, get sacked and receive millions for the privilege. Nice work if you can get it!
I'm not sure he'll bother. He's been there and done that more than enough times. I suspect he can earn money in Dubai on the TV and doing PAs etc.....
How much money can a guy earn/spend? He still lives in an incredibly modest house (by comparison) on Grange Park, has literally millions in the bank and is in his 60s. I don't think that the fiscal allure of the UAE or chatting on TV are his thing. I think that one last '4uck the lot of you' might be though as he performs another rescue act after Christmas.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am
jmjhb wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 am
He wouldn't drop two divisions when he's still a viable contender for Prem jobs.

All he needs to do is wait till a struggling Prem club pots their manager, get appointed for 6 months, keep them up, get sacked and receive millions for the privilege. Nice work if you can get it!
I'm not sure he'll bother. He's been there and done that more than enough times. I suspect he can earn money in Dubai on the TV and doing PAs etc.....
How much money can a guy earn/spend? He still lives in an incredibly modest house (by comparison) on Grange Park, has literally millions in the bank and is in his 60s. I don't think that the fiscal allure of the UAE or chatting on TV are his thing. I think that one last '4uck the lot of you' might be though as he performs another rescue act after Christmas.
He spends a lot of time in Dubai. And is on their footie coverage quite often when not working.

He doesn't need another football job, there is nothing left for him. Only the money. And he can earn that in a warmer climate.

If a job that offered a chance to win stuff came up its an entirely different matter. But I don't see that happening.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2018 1:32 pm

We should be spending the summer looking to recruit new players, not a new manager
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:32 pm
We should be spending the summer looking to recruit new players, not a new manager
And on that subject....
Pete O'Rourke
‏@SportsPeteO
6m6 minutes ago
More
Bolton have invited former Woking star Nathan Ralph on trial. #BWFC
So, a 25 year old player from the non-league who in his career has scored 3 goals in 99 games. WTAF?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm

He's a left-back

I don't mind us giving trials

I doubt it will be our only potential hire

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm
He's a left-back

Listed as a winger where I looked. Even so, 25, non-league player....its an odd one. I know some blossom later in their careers, but it smells like scraping the very very bottom of the barrel.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm
He's a left-back

Listed as a winger where I looked. Even so, 25, non-league player....its an odd one. I know some blossom later in their careers, but it smells like scraping the very very bottom of the barrel.
Apparently he's done a bit of both. Either way, goalscoring is a somewhat reductive stat-set for anyone but a striker. Ameobi's second-tier goal record of 6 in 84 is comparable to Chris Taylor's 4 in 84; are they comparable? All league goals, Ameobi: 8 in 104; Taylor: 40 in 380.

Anyway. Maybe, just maybe, someone more clued-up than you or I has recommended him; I'm sure they're not picking names out of a hat. I'm also sure that the next players we're linked in won't be sixth-tier. It could be that we're waiting to conclude negotiations with our existing Bosmen before deciding which proper players to sign.

It's May.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Anyway. Maybe, just maybe, someone more clued-up than you or I has recommended him; I'm sure they're not picking names out of a hat. I'm also sure that the next players we're linked in won't be sixth-tier. It could be that we're waiting to conclude negotiations with our existing Bosmen before deciding which proper players to sign. It's May.
Agree with all this. We employ scouts and surely they make recommendations based on what impresses them? As you say, it's May and a lot of fine-tooth combing will surely go on before we talk about finalities. The training ground will sort the wheat from the chaff and Parky must be over the moon to have a few bob to play with. Time we gave everything and everybody a chance before dropping sandbags. I'm happy to just wait and see; all part of the fun.... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 22, 2018 4:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 am

He doesn't need another football job, there is nothing left for him. Only the money.
I'd say the opportunity to stick two fingers up to his detractors will appeal to him more. As I said, and despite him being a particularly avaricious individual, he has more money than he can / will ever spend already.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 am

He doesn't need another football job, there is nothing left for him. Only the money.
I'd say the opportunity to stick two fingers up to his detractors will appeal to him more. As I said, and despite him being a particularly avaricious individual, he has more money than he can / will ever spend already.
It will, but he won't do that by repeating the same trick he's already proven. Big Sam likes money though, that much has been made evidently clear.

Nobody will bat an eyelid should Sam rock up at a struggling Brighton in December (insert any bottom half premiership team here) and keeps them up. It won't change anything for him, personally or professionally.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:25 pm
despite him being a particularly avaricious individual, he has more money than he can / will ever spend already.
As you say, Sam has a humble house compared to his earnings. I'm glad about that. But it's a curious thing, is earning money: some people can take it or leave it, but others just can't resist. I don't know whether Sam falls into that category but frankly, if someone else waves a £9m cheque in front of him (as Everton did), he'd have to be very very sure he didn't need that money. Or that his kids didn't, or their kids, or theirs...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm
He's a left-back

Presumably making sure we have more than 12 players for training :)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:16 pm

I'll repeat what I posted when I opened this thread, 13 months ago.
This is not a rabble-rousing exercise, but an opinion poll. There's already a lot of talk that Phil Parkinson should be sacked, so let's separate the signal from the noise with a very simple yes/no question: do you think that he has to go?

Note: It says here that the voting mechanism allows members to change their vote. So this can be a snapshot of public opinion after every result, good or bad; you can change your mind as often as you like, but presumably Ken only gets to do it once.
Here's the scores as it was last left:
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 18.15.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 18.15.17.png (19.76 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
It will be interesting to see how much they change.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I think it’s time. Rather now than it getting more toxic and souring what’s been a good job and relationship.

This cycle of 5 or 6 results followed by 8 or 9 utter dogshit performances and losses can’t continue.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:21 pm

I don't accept the suggestion on the Hull match thread that we may struggle to attract a manager should we dispense with Parky. There are very few championship jobs that become available and when they do, even the very difficult ones e.g Ipswich, Reading seem to attract 'big' names.

Lambert has a very tough job ahead of him with, I suspect, a very limited budget for the next transfer window. Hasn't stopped him taking the job on.

For a cheap, out of work option, I think we could do a lot worse than Gary Bowyer
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 pm

No. Deserves the full season for what he's done. It's been bad before and he's turned it around before. Parky's time here has seen the only good memories of bwfc in years, some bad times too but it can't be pitch invasions every week.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:05 am

The first time this poll came out I said yes. Now, strangely enough I have said no. Don't think we will get anybody better suited at the moment for the club.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 am

I am a No, at least not yet.

Since July, based on public reporting, there have been four winding up orders against the club, including one case of near administration, and two instances of players publicly calling the club out for non-payment of contractual bonuses. Not only does that likely deter decent managers, but it also suggests the club is unstable and it would therefore be unwise to jettison the one area of stability around the club i.e. the management team.

In addition, Parky does deserve some time and patience, due to having achieved a lot despite all the turmoil going on around him, and the fact he seems happy here, and if he was to turn the current run around, he and us would be all the stronger for it.

There are issues however. I am really concerned Parky does not have a method of how to win games now. He is changing the team and formation too much from game to game. He is talking a lot about passing the ball, which suggests he feels the team has evolved into a team that does aim to pass the ball, but there isn't the intelligent movement at the top end of the pitch to go with it for us to be a threat. And we seem to have lost the ability to cause teams problems by being direct because we have too many players who want to get on the ball, rather than looking to gamble on knock downs from Magennis or the other forwards. Also, our set pieces have declined in recent weeks, both in terms of quality of the delivery and getting on the end of them.

The only possibility I see for things improving under Parky is Ameobi coming back soon and staying fit, and possibly Ireland becoming a factor, or Ozzy imrpoving (some signs today). We have a very tough next couple of months in terms of fixtures too. I do wonder if Parky can survive this, with each defeat the noises for him being sacked will only get louder.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:31 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 am
I am a No, at least not yet.

Since July, based on public reporting, there have been four winding up orders against the club, including one case of near administration, and two instances of players publicly calling the club out for non-payment of contractual bonuses. Not only does that likely deter decent managers, but it also suggests the club is unstable and it would therefore be unwise to jettison the one area of stability around the club i.e. the management team.

In addition, Parky does deserve some time and patience, due to having achieved a lot despite all the turmoil going on around him, and the fact he seems happy here, and if he was to turn the current run around, he and us would be all the stronger for it.

There are issues however. I am really concerned Parky does not have a method of how to win games now. He is changing the team and formation too much from game to game. He is talking a lot about passing the ball, which suggests he feels the team has evolved into a team that does aim to pass the ball, but there isn't the intelligent movement at the top end of the pitch to go with it for us to be a threat. And we seem to have lost the ability to cause teams problems by being direct because we have too many players who want to get on the ball, rather than looking to gamble on knock downs from Magennis or the other forwards. Also, our set pieces have declined in recent weeks, both in terms of quality of the delivery and getting on the end of them.

The only possibility I see for things improving under Parky is Ameobi coming back soon and staying fit, and possibly Ireland becoming a factor, or Ozzy imrpoving (some signs today). We have a very tough next couple of months in terms of fixtures too. I do wonder if Parky can survive this, with each defeat the noises for him being sacked will only get louder.
I concur with much of what Bristol's said here. Parkinson very much deserves time and patience from the fans given what he's done for our club. That being said, he does need to figure out his best team and stick with it for a while, because this chopping and changing is obviously massively detrimental.

I've said it before, but I'll repeat that I believe a lot of you on here massively underrate Ameobi's importance to our side. I would be surprised if our goalscoring doesn't improve when he returns.