Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:27 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm
Bye Bye Phil....thanks for the most boring, ugly, long ball, most turgid football in decades.....I think Bradford are looking for a longball / hoof manager
.. and for the promotion and keeping us up last year.

Cheers.
Aye with the 2nd best squad in the division....well done Phil getting us out of league 1 with the most expensive squad in the league.

Anyway I've heard he's gone, Bradford have promised him a 6ft 9in striker & a CB who can launch the ball 100 metres from a standing start, guaranteed to be within 20 yards of said 6ft 9ins striker's head....apparently Parkinson is elated as its a perfect tactical scenario for him.
Still did it.

You'll thank him for keeping us up last year though?.
No I won't he's an awful manager - I'll thank ALF & Wilbraham for keeping us up last year.....remember Burton away that was how I'll remember Parkinson, because that game summed him up.
It was one of the worst championship squads to ever stay up. Full of lower league journeymen and players close to their free bus passes.

The rest of football acknowledged what a job Parky did keeping it up, and he is a big part of the team spirit we fostered.

It’s a shame we are struggling now but the hyperbole is unnecessary.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Bye Bye Phil....thanks for the most boring, ugly, long ball, most turgid football in decades.....I think Bradford are looking for a longball / hoof manager

Cheers.
Aye with the 2nd best squad in the division....well done Phil getting us out of league 1 with the most expensive squad in the league.

Anyway I've heard he's gone, Bradford have promised him a 6ft 9in striker & a CB who can launch the ball 100 metres from a standing start, guaranteed to be within 20 yards of said 6ft 9ins striker's head....apparently Parkinson is elated as its a perfect tactical scenario for him.
Still did it.

No I won't he's an awful manager - I'll thank ALF & Wilbraham for keeping us up last year.....remember Burton away that was how I'll remember Parkinson, because that game summed him up.
Aye, both signed by the man but that's irrelevant in this argument.

He's not a terrible manager just not the standard required for this league however he never stood a chance as you never took the dark glasses off. Always won in spite of and lost because of.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm
At least someone's happy, anyway.
Only happy when he goes, I would have much preferred a win today....KA wont sack him though because he'd have to part with some money....which we all know KA wont spend a penny of his own cash, he's a chairman in name only....no substance, leadership or direction.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:43 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Cheers.

Still did it.

He's not a terrible manager just not the standard required for this league however he never stood a chance as you never took the dark glasses off. Always won in spite of and lost because of.
Ah so its now my fault because I never liked him....as its me who coach the players, pick the team, sign the players, my tactics etc...

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Cheers.

Still did it.

I think the majority of fans have been unbelievably patient and were not wearing dark glasses.
However we have become the Championship pushovers over the larger part of last and this season. That, irrespective of whether we are relegated or not, cannot be allowed to continue or we shall find ourselves playing non-league football sooner rather than later.

The issue for me is that Parkinson has a reputation for being a cautious and defensive minded coach but cannot organise a strong defence to save his life. Do you remember that Alllardyce always used to say that you build a winning team from the back? Someone said a little earlier that Parkinson seems to lack the organisational sklils necessary to get the best out of players and I would agree completely with that assessment.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Of course he should be sacked! But Parky's job is the safest in all 4 leagues. We have no money, he knows that, so it will carry on in the hope that we might get a win (no hopes of that). We have the most cautious defensive minded manager and we can't defend. We depend on Ameobi, who by the way was knackered after about 47 minutes, but he daren't take him off as he is the one who makes us have a slight heartbeat. I'm just hoping parky walks, he can't rely on his history with us, yes he has done great with us but every dog has it's day!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:46 pm

We're not doing the basics and that's down to the manager. We don't keep our shape when not in possession and we're too pedestrian going forward with the ball. We had just 10 minutes at the start of the second half when we moved the ball quickly enough. How many of our passes went backwards today - 30%??

Secondly, I couldn't understand our set up today. Ameobi seemed to be target man plus wide supplier on both sides and protection in front of our right back. If you're going to play with a target man up front, then your advanced midfielders need to do one of two things; Either pull wide if the target man holds the ball up, so he can give, turn and go again or get beyond him if he flicks the ball on. We just don't do that!!

We need to get back to basics. One man for me can do that and that man is Mick Mcarthy. We can't afford to wait any longer.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:05 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Cheers.

Still did it.

I think the majority of fans have been unbelievably patient and were not wearing dark glasses.
However we have become the Championship pushovers over the larger part of last and this season. That, irrespective of whether we are relegated or not, cannot be allowed to continue or we shall find ourselves playing non-league football sooner rather than later.

The issue for me is that Parkinson has a reputation for being a cautious and defensive minded coach but cannot organise a strong defence to save his life. Do you remember that Alllardyce always used to say that you build a winning team from the back? Someone said a little earlier that Parkinson seems to lack the organisational sklils necessary to get the best out of players and I would agree completely with that assessment.

On the highlighted point, irrespective of whether you think he's a bad manager and should be sacked or not, I think it's worth pointing out that only recently his team was the one with the fewest goals conceded in the whole of the football league. The year before that they were fifth overall. Fair enough, it was at the third tier level both times, but it doesn't suggest that he's a man who's unable to organise a defence.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

You have just said it all there Nich. He is ok in the 3rd tier, that's where he belongs. He can manage there, organise there, but it's too much for him in the Championship. He is out-thought on every tactic going in this league

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm
You have just said it all there Nich. He is ok in the 3rd tier, that's where he belongs. He can manage there, organise there, but it's too much for him in the Championship. He is out-thought on every tactic going in this league

Maybe, but - and I'll no doubt be scoffed at for even suggesting this - he's working with if not the lowest then the second lowest budget in the league. Not only that but he's having to foster a team spirit amongst players being paid late and threats of administration. Whatever you think about his tactical ability (and I'd argue that he's better than a lot of people think), there's no doubt that his players are still playing for him despite all the uncertainty and the shenanigans going on behinds the scenes. Money isn't the be all and end all, but Swansea City have spent much more than we have and for large parts of the game today we matched them. Give Parky a proper budget and some financial stability and he'd probably do alright.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:26 pm

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm

The only reason he won’t be sacked before Christmas is Ken’s budget.

Are we really that much more worse off than Rotherham, Wigan pre takeover, Blackburn, all clubs with similar attendances? I suppose rovers did sign that geezer from forest with money.

He has signed players this summer...in a way looking at the shite he has amassed I am glad he wasn’t given much money...

We’re beaten as soon as we concede, which is generally within the firsT half hour - if the stadium emptied at half time you couldn’t blame anyone!

Total lack of confidence and totally clueless in front of goal. I think we’re into needing to change manager territory else our record low points tally will be looming again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 pm
twilight wrote:

Maybe, but - and I'll no doubt be scoffed at for even suggesting this - he's working with if not the lowest then the second lowest budget in the league. Not only that but he's having to foster a team spirit amongst players being paid late and threats of administration. Whatever you think about his tactical ability (and I'd argue that he's better than a lot of people think), there's no doubt that his players are still playing for him despite all the uncertainty and the shenanigans going on behinds the scenes. Money isn't the be all and end all, but Swansea City have spent much more than we have and for large parts of the game today we matched them. Give Parky a proper budget and some financial stability and he'd probably do alright.
Yep. I mean it’s at the point where IF there is money for a change (a big if) then it might give a temporary lift, because currently it’s grim. I do think we are playing better than results suggest but we cannot score so....

But it doesn’t mean Parky isn’t one of the better options out there for us. He has been working in circumstances many would have walked out on, let alone achieved success.

But there we are. I personally would just back him. But I think that relies on faith things turn. I think they will, but many many don’t.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
twilight wrote:

Give Parky a proper budget - I'm fcuking pissing myself at this....you are seriously deluded, based on what ? I wouldn't give him another £1, I wouldn't give him another day he couldn't organise a church raffle....I honestly don't see it.....teams with worse budgets & worse players than us are more organised, work harder, are fitter, play better football, create more, even score the odd goal....I've never understood people defending Parkinson he's a League 1 manager at best....and if anyone disagrees please show me his record at championship level

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Another point and it’s not an excuse or a reason but our season was bubbling after Preston. 11 points. Fought back from 2-0 down away from home to a draw and we looked better than Preston just about all over the pitch. We looked like a comfortable lower mid half side at worst.

Then the international break, the administration debacle....I wonder how much that took out of the club psychologically...perhaps the notion we were all in it together slipped alongside the talk of Anderson not paying former players? Or perhaps it took to toll on the management team too. However you look at it, the drop from then in form and performance level is drastic. And scary. And we weren’t ‘lucky’ early season. We grafted and looked a unit. Not sure what happened but the whole blumarble debacle in the middle of this seems a large coincidence if nothing else.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Are we really that much more worse off than Rotherham, Wigan pre takeover, Blackburn, all clubs with similar attendances?

Budget wise, worse off than Blackburn and Wigan certainly.

officer_dibble wrote:
He has signed players this summer...in a way looking at the shite he has amassed I am glad he wasn’t given much money...

We’re beaten as soon as we concede, which is generally within the firsT half hour - if the stadium emptied at half time you couldn’t blame anyone!

Total lack of confidence and totally clueless in front of goal. I think we’re into needing to change manager territory else our record low points tally will be looming again.

But the point is that he's signed those players because he wasn't given much money. He wanted Wyke, he wanted Garner, he wanted Robinson, we were after Celina last season. He got none of them.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 pm
Another point and it’s not an excuse or a reason but our season was bubbling after Preston. 11 points. Fought back from 2-0 down away from home to a draw and we looked better than Preston just about all over the pitch. We looked like a comfortable lower mid half side at worst.

Then the international break, the administration debacle....I wonder how much that took out of the club psychologically...perhaps the notion we were all in it together slipped alongside the talk of Anderson not paying former players? Or perhaps it took to toll on the management team too. However you look at it, the drop from then in form and performance level is drastic. And scary. And we weren’t ‘lucky’ early season. We grafted and looked a unit. Not sure what happened but the whole blumarble debacle in the middle of this seems a large coincidence if nothing else.
What absolute utter rubbish, do you really believe what you have just posted ? - If you have played football at any decent level you would not have posted that....when you walk onto the pitch you play to win and give your all for the full 90 mins, and that's nothing to do with whether you have been paid, its down to personal pride, wanting to show people how good you are and basically wanting to beat the opposition.

If millionaire championship level professional football players don't perform because they have £10k less in there £M plus bank accounts then I feel really sorry for them.....admin, bluemarble has fcuk all to do with the team being disorganised, passionless, devoid of ideas etc and is more to do with being poorly coached, poorly trained, sent out beaten before a ball is kicked....the buck stops with the manager who just happens to be the most negative, defensive minded, most boring manager in BWFC history....

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Are we really that much more worse off than Rotherham, Wigan pre takeover, Blackburn, all clubs with similar attendances?

Budget wise, worse off than Blackburn and Wigan certainly.

officer_dibble wrote:

But the point is that he's signed those players because he wasn't given much money. He wanted Wyke, he wanted Garner, he wanted Robinson, we were after Celina last season. He got none of them.
Again complete bollocks.....you're just guessing at this, I'm sure that he came out and said that he didn't actually want Celina - and this last window he said that Doidge was his 1st choice target.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
twilight wrote:

Give Parky a proper budget - I'm fcuking pissing myself at this....you are seriously deluded, based on what ? I wouldn't give him another £1, I wouldn't give him another day he couldn't organise a church raffle....I honestly don't see it.....teams with worse budgets & worse players than us are more organised, work harder, are fitter, play better football, create more, even score the odd goal....I've never understood people defending Parkinson he's a League 1 manager at best....and if anyone disagrees please show me his record at championship level

I think this is the nub of it. You haven't realised just how little money we have. There's only one club that has a lower budget than us and that's Rotherham. Except their manager isn't expected to build a team capable of finishing mid-table, nor are they living on a financial knife-edge. It doesn't excuse everything but for crying out loud, things behind the scenes are a great deal worse than you think they are and have a much bigger impact than we will ever probably know. Parky isn't brilliant, but neither is he the absolute worst.

And as for delusion, I recall a time last season when you were on yet another of your rants against Parky that when pressed for suggestions as to who we should appoint instead, you offered up Thomas f*cking Tuchel. That's the same Thomas Tuchel who turned down Everton a few weeks previously because they weren't in the Champions League.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
twilight wrote:

I think this is the nub of it. You haven't realised just how little money we have. There's only one club that has a lower budget than us and that's Rotherham. Except their manager isn't expected to build a team capable of finishing mid-table, nor are they living on a financial knife-edge. It doesn't excuse everything but for crying out loud, things behind the scenes are a great deal worse than you think they are and have a much bigger impact than we will ever probably know. Parky isn't brilliant, but neither is he the absolute worst.

And as for delusion, I recall a time last season when you were on yet another of your rants against Parky that when pressed for suggestions as to who we should appoint instead, you offered up Thomas f*cking Tuchel. That's the same Thomas Tuchel who turned down Everton a few weeks previously because they weren't in the Champions League.
Didn't Rotherham beat Swansea last week....?