Time to Declare...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Declare...

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Well, quite. Curious how Ken's rhetoric has shifted from "stoopid embargo, stoopid player limits, it's all somebody else's fault" to "we've got plenty of players" 10 days before a vital window opens.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:48 pm
He's had feck all to spend and hasn't had a single day of a transfer window out of embargo, it's no surprise some of the punts he's had to take haven't worked out.

Thought his flirtation with 3 at the back was balls, and he hasn't got the balance right away from home, but otherwise don't think he's done a lot wrong. Really not sure how much more can be expected with what we have.

We haven't got any f*cking money.
We've got money, just not a lot, and none of it spare. It's almost like we're an old firm operating in a depressed area with high unemployment whose main customers have all passed away, but a new managing director took over a year or so ago.
So, do you take the cash the business still has and you squirrel it away under your bed (the Ken Anderson approach), or use tiny amounts to buy nuts and bolts that you don't use anyway because you have no projects they can be used on (the Parkinson approach), or do you invest in an asset like a car that can drive you to a new area where full employment reigns (getting a new manager approach).
Obviously there are pitfalls to the last strategy, such as because you're buying a high mileage much used second hand model you might get a Pulis instead of a Grayson. But if you don't try you're still going to end up on the dole.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I'd put my hat on Vela being sold in a few days time, but PP won't see the money from that deal I suspect. KA is clearly trying to keep the club balanced on a financial knife edge. Vela will bring in a little over a million quid I would think, which keeps the proverbial wolf from the door, but gives us little in terms of operating room. Our only hope is that we can attract some Prem fringe players who want to play football for their future development or as a shop window. Even then, we'd be relying on their clubs paying the bulk or all of their wages, which might come with contractual clauses where we have to play them etc.

I still reckon the squad we have on paper, can achieve more than bottom 4 in this league. I'm not convinced the manager has the wherewithall to make it work.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:23 pm
I'd put my hat on Vela being sold in a few days time, but PP won't see the money from that deal I suspect. KA is clearly trying to keep the club balanced on a financial knife edge. Vela will bring in a little over a million quid I would think, which keeps the proverbial wolf from the door, but gives us little in terms of operating room. Our only hope is that we can attract some Prem fringe players who want to play football for their future development or as a shop window. Even then, we'd be relying on their clubs paying the bulk or all of their wages, which might come with contractual clauses where we have to play them etc.

I still reckon the squad we have on paper, can achieve more than bottom 4 in this league. I'm not convinced the manager has the wherewithall to make it work.
I basically agree with all of those sentiments.
In a nutshell, we are being starved of capital, we'll keep selling assets to continue operating until that folly comes home to roost. And meanwhile we'll get demoted because the manager is incapable of properly utilising the squad he has - who, although not top class, are capable of mid table mediocrity at least.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:10 pm

The really sad thing about all of this, is that we'd all happily settle for mid table mediocrity!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:06 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:48 pm
He's had feck all to spend and hasn't had a single day of a transfer window out of embargo, it's no surprise some of the punts he's had to take haven't worked out.

Thought his flirtation with 3 at the back was balls, and he hasn't got the balance right away from home, but otherwise don't think he's done a lot wrong. Really not sure how much more can be expected with what we have.

We haven't got any f*cking money.
We've got money, just not a lot, and none of it spare. It's almost like we're an old firm operating in a depressed area with high unemployment whose main customers have all passed away, but a new managing director took over a year or so ago.
So, do you take the cash the business still has and you squirrel it away under your bed (the Ken Anderson approach), or use tiny amounts to buy nuts and bolts that you don't use anyway because you have no projects they can be used on (the Parkinson approach), or do you invest in an asset like a car that can drive you to a new area where full employment reigns (getting a new manager approach).
Obviously there are pitfalls to the last strategy, such as because you're buying a high mileage much used second hand model you might get a Pulis instead of a Grayson. But if you don't try you're still going to end up on the dole.
You might get a Pulis instead of a Grayson? Crikey, that would be some bonus.

I'd eat my arm off for a man who has consistently kept teams our size in the premiership.

Over a bloke who has just been sacked because he had Sunderland second bottom in this league.

Pulis IF he would come would be a literal no brainer and anyone who would take Grayson over him is completely and utterly laughable.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Laugh all you want. Pulis is as boring and stale as Parkinson. I'm saying that with the backing of a life long Stoke fan watching me type this over my shoulder.
You continuously mix up what a manager can do with the financial position the club he works for is in.

So to recap: BWFC-insane claims Parkinson and Allardyce are of identical quality but Pulis is superior to both by far. And you call me laughable!
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:04 pm

And also what the fecking point of watching is.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 pm
Laugh all you want. Pulis is as boring and stale as Parkinson. I'm saying that with the backing of a life long Stoke fan watching me type this over my shoulder.
You continuously mix up what a manager can do with the financial position the club he works for is in.

So to recap: BWFC-insane claims Parkinson and Allardyce are of identical quality but Pulis is superior to both by far. And you call me laughable!
Your recap is wildly inaccurate. Saying two managers play the same systems doesn't make them of equal quality.

It would be frankly ridiculous to appoint Grayson over Pulis if we ever got the chance. An act of absolute buffoonery.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Since the start of October, when Henry, Vela and Ameobi first played together, we have W3 D5 L3, despite the Burton defeat, which suggests to me:

1.) Our team is good enough to perform at a mid table level, and so our chances of avoiding the drop are decent.
2.) Parky deserves to continue, as he has managed to fashion a competitive Championship team despite severe restrictions in the TW.

If the next four games don't go well as one may expect however, and we get 0-2 points, his position will be under intense scrutiny I feel...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 pm

The squad is nowhere near. With everyone fit we can compete, but beyond that...yikes.

We had about 3 from 12 didn't we? I said I'd take at least being in a fight from there and we are. January is huge. If the main thing we do is sell Vela, we're gone. If we can keep him and add one or two good enough to be in the first XI, we have a chance.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 pm
The squad is nowhere near. With everyone fit we can compete, but beyond that...yikes.

We had about 3 from 12 didn't we? I said I'd take at least being in a fight from there and we are. January is huge. If the main thing we do is sell Vela, we're gone. If we can keep him and add one or two good enough to be in the first XI, we have a chance.
2 from 11, yeah. I think we have decent cover in certain positions, but absolutely nothing in others. Noone and Armstrong could cover Ameobi and Buckley reasonably well. Dervite and Burke are no worse than Wheater or Beevers imo. Howard/Alnwick, Robinson/Taylor are ok. In central midfield and centre forward we have zero cover. Cullen, Karacan, Derik would severely weaken it to the point we would be fodder for most of this league. Wilbraham at 38 would struggle to last 90 mins if Madine got injured or suspended. Darby is a problem as cover for Little too, especially as Little hasn't got the greatest career injury record. If, IF, we could sort RB, CM and CF cover or even improve those positions in January, I would back us to stay up...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Genuine question, Max Clayton and Jay Spearing both went to Blackpool. Have either made good there? Just wondering after seeing Clayton's name on an old squad list.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm
Genuine question, Max Clayton and Jay Spearing both went to Blackpool. Have either made good there? Just wondering after seeing Clayton's name on an old squad list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%8 ... .C._season

Would seem not. Spearing joined on the 4th October, has played 9 out of the 10 league games since then, and Blackpool have W2 D3 L5 of them. He also played in their 2-1 defeat at Boreham Wood in the first round of the FA Cup.

Clayton has barely played, with just two substitute appearances in the league all season, and one goal from three games in the Checkatrade trophy.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:11 am

We need to get rid of some of the desperate squad fillers that I think were bought because we needed someone, anyone in the summer to make up the numbers. We need to replace them with someone that can genuinely challenge the 1st choice lot. e.g...

- Someone to properly challenge Madine
- Someone that can run around *and* pass in midfield to replace Pratley
- Someone that can play centre back and keep one of Wheevers out of the 1st team

Easier said than done, but since we have superhero football agents running the show, I don't see why we can't improve on at least the CB and CM. There's half a dozen players to try and feck off to L1, 2 and Conf..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:06 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

Would seem not. Spearing joined on the 4th October, has played 9 out of the 10 league games since then, and Blackpool have W2 D3 L5 of them. He also played in their 2-1 defeat at Boreham Wood in the first round of the FA Cup.

Clayton has barely played, with just two substitute appearances in the league all season, and one goal from three games in the Checkatrade trophy.
Cheers Bristol. Not world beaters too good for Bolton then. I had great hopes for Clayton back a ways. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Cheers Bristol. Not world beaters too good for Bolton then. I had great hopes for Clayton back a ways. :wink:
Clearest example yet of how our fans often overrate our own players. Spearing was meant to be too good for league one, when reality is he probably found his level or thereabouts.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:25 pm

The amazing thing is that after a very short career so far, Spearing would never have to work again I suspect, if he ended his career tomorrow.

He must be seriously kicking his agent for being so greedy. A bit like Mario Melchiot, who's agent turned down £38k to stay at Birmingham City. He ended up on £8k at Rennes. I've little or no sympathy for either.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Clearest example yet of how our fans often overrate our own players. Spearing was meant to be too good for league one, when reality is he probably found his level or thereabouts.
He's a defensive midfielder playing for a mediocre, newly promoted side. What are you expecting from him?

Swap him and Karl Henry and neither team will be noticeably better or worse.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:37 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

He's a defensive midfielder playing for a mediocre, newly promoted side. What are you expecting from him?

Swap him and Karl Henry and neither team will be noticeably better or worse.
Henry was wanted by a championship side. By more than one. Spearing wasn't.

Spearing just isn't that good. Clayton is probably league two at best.