Release or retain?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you offer a contract for next season?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Mark Howard
1%
Ben Alnwick
9%
Mark Beevers
8%
David Wheater
9%
Dorian Dervite
4%
Jon Flanagan
6%
Derik Osede
2%
Karl Henry
8%
Darren Pratley
5%
Jan Kirchhoff
7%
Alex Perry
3%
Jem Karacan
4%
Jeff King
5%
Filipe Morais
8%
Chris Taylor
No votes
Sammy Ameobi
10%
Aaron Wilbraham
2%
Chinedu Obasi
2%
Connor Hall
7%

Total votes: 417

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Release or retain?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm
A little disappointed and equally as surprised to see Kirchhoff's name on there. Clearly a very decent player if kept fit. Can one of you remind me who Chinedu Obasi is please?

As for Pratters, given the way he applauded three sides of the ground as he made his way off against Forest, I assumed from that that his departure must have all been done and dusted. Seemingly not. Drastically reduced wages, maybe?
Obasi's the Nigerian thirtysomething striker the Andersons insisted on us giving a trial to and eventually signing, at which Parky basically said "You won't see him play" and everyone in the ESL said "He must be better than Wilbraham".

I suspect Pratley knew that might be his last game, pending inevitable negotiations. He jolly well should be applauding the fans, both as captain and as someone who's earned £5m basic over the last three years.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm
A little disappointed and equally as surprised to see Kirchhoff's name on there. Clearly a very decent player if kept fit. Can one of you remind me who Chinedu Obasi is please?

As for Pratters, given the way he applauded three sides of the ground as he made his way off against Forest, I assumed from that that his departure must have all been done and dusted. Seemingly not. Drastically reduced wages, maybe?
Sounds like Pratley is away and hasn't met Parky yet. He may be being released or offered something. We don't know yet.

Kirchoff is clearly never going to be properly fit so I'd not be taking the risk. We need people fit to run and work hard.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Nothing unexpected in this announcement, and good to see we are giving ourselves scope to bring in better players. I think Dervite has had a raw deal and in pure football terms is more talented than Beevers and Wheater, but clearly Parky doesn't fancy him for whatever reason so best to let him go. I thought Howard might stay as he seems to work well within Parky's preferred structure of having two competitive first choice keepers, but fine if we are looking for better or looking to develop Turner.

I think Wilbraham might get a new deal. He will be on super low wages as he was signed during the embargo period, and Championship level strikers are generally expensive and hard to come by. Keeping him a third choice target man, on the basis that we would sign two better ones in this window makes sense to me.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm

I'd imagine Pratley is going to get a new deal. He's been a tad instrumental in terms of our wins despite coming across as a poor player from the looks of it. Clearly theres something there whether its lifting the squad or performing better than it appears.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 25, 2018 8:45 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 pm
Nothing unexpected in this announcement, and good to see we are giving ourselves scope to bring in better players. I think Dervite has had a raw deal and in pure football terms is more talented than Beevers and Wheater, but clearly Parky doesn't fancy him for whatever reason so best to let him go. I thought Howard might stay as he seems to work well within Parky's preferred structure of having two competitive first choice keepers, but fine if we are looking for better or looking to develop Turner.

I think Wilbraham might get a new deal. He will be on super low wages as he was signed during the embargo period, and Championship level strikers are generally expensive and hard to come by. Keeping him a third choice target man, on the basis that we would sign two better ones in this window makes sense to me.
Dervite is bobbins. Goes missing when it counts. See Barnsley's equaliser for example.

Weak bodied and weak minded. Exactly the sort I'm delighted we are parting company with.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am

Mar wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm
I'd imagine Pratley is going to get a new deal. He's been a tad instrumental in terms of our wins despite coming across as a poor player from the looks of it. Clearly theres something there whether its lifting the squad or performing better than it appears.
Ah yes, the win percentage...
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 08.53.52.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 08.53.52.png (15.04 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
You'd still have to hope there's better out there, surely?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am
Mar wrote:

Sorry DSB I don't get the table.
What does 10, 11 and 13 represent?
Also the 2, 2, 11?

Isn't it just a bunch of random numbers that Pratley showed Parky to get game time? Irrefutable proof!!!
What could've happened; did.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 am

mullayo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am
Mar wrote:

Also the 2, 2, 11?

Isn't it just a bunch of random numbers that Pratley showed Parky to get game time? Irrefutable proof!!!
Ha! Wins/Draws/Losses, with and without Captain Fantastic. Statistically, we did get notably better results when he was playing. He missed the opening game, then three losses-to-nil in September (although we'd also lost the previous two to nil with him playing), then seven successive league games in Jan/Feb (W2 D2 L3), then three more in Easter week (L3).

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 am

Presumably Pratley was playing in place of cullen/Derek, thus explaining improved stats, rather than it being Pratley's excellence. Whatever the merits or demerits of Pratley he will always be a symbol of Coyle's legacy: replacing uninspiring but competent footballers with Championship (at best) mediocrity.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 am
Presumably Pratley was playing in place of cullen/Derek, thus explaining improved stats, rather than it being Pratley's excellence. Whatever the merits or demerits of Pratley he will always be a symbol of Coyle's legacy: replacing uninspiring but competent footballers with Championship (at best) mediocrity.
Yep. He was one of our more effective players last season, but we need to be better this season. I can see the appeal of having Henry or Pratley around as back-up, if on swallowable wages, but Darren's 33 and Henry's 36 in November so if they're both first-team regulars it's going to be a long hard season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
We're in the championship. I'm torn on Pratley, on one hand I think he's good enough as a midfield runner, on the other I'd love us to find better. All about how much money we have. We still need a squad and I suspect we'll not improve on him as a squad option.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am

Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 am
mullayo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am
Mar wrote:

Also the 2, 2, 11?

Ha! Wins/Draws/Losses, with and without Captain Fantastic. Statistically, we did get notably better results when he was playing. He missed the opening game, then three losses-to-nil in September (although we'd also lost the previous two to nil with him playing), then seven successive league games in Jan/Feb (W2 D2 L3), then three more in Easter week (L3).
Wow 71% wins and draws with him and only 26^% without. Pay him and play him!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Just a view, but we're still playing in an area we know against teams we're familiar with, ie The Championship. Half our problems this last season came from soft goals given away late on, and the other half from an inability to score goals or put chances away ourselves. None of that is rocket science ( think our extended spell of non-productive games. You don't lose points in football, you just fail to collect them) ). I think I'd be concentrating on where the faults lay in the former, and putting some real emphasis on the latter. I hope that's how Parky is thinking.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
We're in the championship. I'm torn on Pratley, on one hand I think he's good enough as a midfield runner, on the other I'd love us to find better. All about how much money we have. We still need a squad and I suspect we'll not improve on him as a squad option.
I know, but I was referring to Coyle signing these players in the Premiership. There is worse than Pratley, but I just can't get past him being a poster boy for our decline. Harsh on him, but he's been here for most of it and rarely shone for more than a couple of games a season. I'd hope we can find a better willing runner..

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I know, but I was referring to Coyle signing these players in the Premiership. There is worse than Pratley, but I just can't get past him being a poster boy for our decline. Harsh on him, but he's been here for most of it and rarely shone for more than a couple of games a season. I'd hope we can find a better willing runner..
When Swansea got promoted they looked keen on keeping Pratley. I'd imagine it's a case of him being a fairly reasonable player at championship level.

I'd second that Pratley is a poster boy for our decline. He probably warrants the tag more than anyone else due to him sticking with the club after being signed by Coyle.

I'd be happy to see him getting another season or two. Even a testimonial if he's here long enough. The guy needs some positive PR around him. He's very much heads down and get on with it.

That being said I wouldn't make him a focal point of the team. In order to get back to progress we need to improve positions and a playmaker is definitely needed.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 pm

If he gets a testimonial I'm burning the place down.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Only reason he's still got a chance is because Derik is a stooge.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat May 26, 2018 6:13 am

Pratley is such a divisive figure. For me on the outside looking in at this level he's an adequate journeyman. Tries hard at least, so I like him a little.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 am

Yes, I'm RELIABLE like Jussi!
I'm sure I was DEDICATED before. I had thousands of posts before I lost the ability to log-in.

Now I'm RELIABLE everyone needs to listen to what I say. It'll be right on the money.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun May 27, 2018 3:25 am

PRAT(ley)FALLS

My new (statistically verified) theory as to why we win more with Pratley on the pitch. It's mainly because he's lying on it, getting fouled and earning free kicks.
FACTS
A) Bolton have the lowest amount of goals in the league from open play therefore relying much more on setpieces.
B) No central/holding midfielder was fouled more often than Prattle on average @ 2.1 per game (he also gave away 2.3 per, Henry was 1.9 - both top 10 offenders)

Not only do his Pratfalls earn shots at goal, his excessive fouling both ways kills a lot of time. Priceless for a crap team. He's practically Robbie Savage!