Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:56 am
Bolton. Blackburn. Parkinson wants Danny Graham. But there’s an option in his contract that means Rovers can keep him. And that would mean a fee as well as top wages.

Would be a decent signing imo

I suggested him earlier. Got a good strike rate.
Last year in League One14 goals at a a fair clip of 1 per 180 mins.
Career in the Championship 64 goals (25 assists) at respectable 221 mins per similar to ALF's career 213 mins.
In the Prem clearly used as a sub 18 (11 assists) at decent 384 mins per.
At 6ft, if he has legs still he'd be an upgrade on what we got.
Apparently on a fair whack, although if that's a lot for League One or Championship I don't know. Although if you avoid a fee you expect to pay a extra wages...
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:45 am

It seems Graham is on a FREE but keen to stay on at Jackburn.

Lancashire Telegraph journalist Rich Sharpe has confirmed that the clause Nixon mentions became null and void when Rovers were relegated back in 2017.

Rich Sharpe
@richsharpe89
RE: Danny Graham. The option that was in his contact became redundant when #Rovers were relegated. So he’s out of contract as of the end of this month. However, he wants to stay at Rovers and I expect that he will. https://twitter.com/richsharpe89/status ... 4837120001

10:47 PM - Jun 9, 2018

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:23 am

Chungy was on 25K a week at Palace. I'd forget about him unless nobody has bitten come end of August. I'm hearing we can go to about 12K a week max for one striker. Rest have to be sub 10K.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am

Ameobi was offered big terms elsewhere this week. He wants to stay but Bolton aren't offering anything like what is on offer elsewhere. Likely to go. Morais is done and will stay barring a last minute change of heart.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am
Ameobi was offered big terms elsewhere this week. He wants to stay but Bolton aren't offering anything like what is on offer elsewhere. Likely to go. Morais is done and will stay barring a last minute change of heart.
Thus it will always be. Each time we get a decent player we can't afford to compete with almost any club in keeping them. Be nice if a bit of club loyalty was shown, but we all know that can never compete with a bigger wage checks . Personally, I'd cap the whole of football wages at five grand a week and make them sort their own deals with the club. Greedy agents to be dispensed with completely, admission prices to become affordable and stuff Sky and co. Pipe-dream of course, but dreaming hasn't become an outrage topic...yet. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:10 pm
Elsewhere, for the record, Liverpool confirm they're releasing Jon Flanagan
In case it's of interest – I suspect it's not - Brendan Rodgers' Celtic and Steven Gerrard's Rangers are said to be interested. (Well, this being football news, they're said to be Set To Battle It Out In An Old Firm Ex-Anfield Scrap, etc etc.)

Doubt we can match their wages for someone who was on £25kpw at LFC; doubt there's overwhelming urge to do so; sure there's other priorities.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Flanagan was a real mixed bag for us. In the Villa win I remember thinking he looked a real class act but towards the end of the season he seemed all at sea and I was pleased when Little came back in.

Someone, somewhere will pay him far more than he's worth. As you say DSB, our priorities for who will be our big earners, lie elsewhere
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Nixon suggesting that we are in for an experienced midfielder. Want to take a look at him in training. May put a piece in tomorrow's paper about it
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am
Thus it will always be. Each time we get a decent player we can't afford to compete with almost any club in keeping them. Be nice if a bit of club loyalty was shown, but we all know that can never compete with a bigger wage checks . Personally, I'd cap the whole of football wages at five grand a week and make them sort their own deals with the club. Greedy agents to be dispensed with completely, admission prices to become affordable and stuff Sky and co. Pipe-dream of course, but dreaming hasn't become an outrage topic...yet. :wink:
I don't think it's a case of losing out, we are offering what we think players are worth. If they go to someone overpaying, let them. We've been there done that and lived the consequences.

Releasing Henry and Pratley was a big statement to me. We are determined to be better than last season. Had we kept them I'd be worried. As it is we've already signed a younger version.

Proof is in the pudding but the club is in the best position it's been for ages.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:52 pm

I still don't get the Ameobi thing. Bar one or two games, he was poor last season I believe, something which has been a pattern throughout his career. I'd be happy to see him go.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:52 pm
I still don't get the Ameobi thing. Bar one or two games, he was poor last season I believe, something which has been a pattern throughout his career. I'd be happy to see him go.
Depends how you view it. He can do things in a pitch no other player can. That will win you points, not just in obvious ways, but for example his ability to hold the ball in a tight situation and keep it away from your goal. Equally he can be frustrating. Hard to replace imo as those with more consistent end product cost fortunes and there aren't many around like him.

He was at times our only outlet. Having said that he isn't consistent enough to break the bank for. Also his asthma will always hold him back.

I'd love him to stay. But if he goes we move on.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm

My first post on here for about 7 years.

Personally I'd be very disappointed if we lost Ameobi as I think he'd likely improve for playing in a more technically minded team. I'd also see it as a worrying sign if we're not able to offer reasonable wages to a player like him, as it would seem a strong indication that we are not going to be in a competitive position this season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Also if we are as financially hamstrung as we appear to be, we're really going to up our game in the loan market. If you look back at the players we had in last year too many of them made little to no impact. If we're committed to playing better football this season then we should be pursuing loan deals for players from the top PL academies.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:54 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Personally I'd be very disappointed if we lost Ameobi as I think he'd likely improve for playing in a more technically minded team. I'd also see it as a worrying sign if we're not able to offer reasonable wages to a player like him, as it would seem a strong indication that we are not going to be in a competitive position this season.
We are competitive wage wise now. We couldn't sign Lowe last year due to the restrictions. Now we have some leeway and will be competitive with the bottom 8 or so wage wise.

Doesn't mean we want to blow loads on Ameobi. He ultimately will never be consistent enough to be a really top player.

We are in a really good position now. Finally. We can reshape the squad and set a sensible and competitive if modest by the overall divisions standards wage bill.

First chance we've had to do that for 3/4 years.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Just hope we don't sign two shite players for the price of one good one. Never a good strategy.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:02 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Me too. Right wing is now a position that has gone backwards. Ameobi was a gamebreaker that could dribble and crack defences. Morais mainly on the field for his deadball skills was expendable, especially if Oztumer comes in.
What is happening with the Turk? Wages holdup? Will it happen?

At the moment we've arguably only upgraded defensive mid.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:43 pm
Nixon suggesting that we are in for an experienced midfielder. Want to take a look at him in training. May put a piece in tomorrow's paper about it
MAYBE?...

Dean Marney – Burnley defensive midfielder

Age would be a big problem, as he turns 35 in January, as is the fact he didn’t play last season due to cruciate ligament damage. Nottingham Forest are keen on him though, which could suggest he could still do a job at Championship level.

255 Champ games, 16 goals, 25 assists, 50 yellows
96 Prem games, 4 goals, 8 assists, 28 yellows.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am

If the Marney rumour has anything in it, I don't see why we didn't keep the uninjured Henry instead??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am
If the Marney rumour has anything in it, I don't see why we didn't keep the uninjured Henry instead??
Such was my first thought. I'm sure Henry would have jumped at the chance and at the right money.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 am

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes and what was offered though. My view is that Henry was vital to us staying up last year, and easily our best player to play on that deeper pivot two. It was also clear at the end of the season that time was catching up. No way he can play 90 move every week for a season.

I'd have offered him a year on middling money to effectively be a squad player. It's possible we did and he didn't fancy it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.