Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 pm
palindromeofbolton wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm
Small morsel on Nixon's Twitter.

Q: Anything new on Rodwell and Wyke?
Nixon: Agreeing a Wyke fee will be a challenge. Rodwell was down last week for a chat despite the unsurprising denials.
The reaction from people I know to that Rodwell rumour was horror, but I'm not sure it'd be a bad signing. He's a decent athlete and okay on the ball. He'd probably be a good CB signing for us. Depends where his head is these days. We are desperate for some pace at the back.
Isn't Rodwell more a DM? I've never seen him as a centre half. If he's cheap (there are few or no other suitors) then he's worth a punt imo
Rodwell is a tweener that's the problem though more of a natural centre half than a mid IMO
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:52 am

Regarding Teixeira: 150k is nothing in terms of transfer fees, but it's a lot to us - both those things can be true. We may only be offering a portion of his wages on loan, too. Given that he's struggled generally in his career, I don't mind us being cautious. Ultimately, we'll see. My hope is that we may be playing hardball and we'll still be flexible on a deal in the end. We are unlikely to find a player with more ability.

As regards Kone, he is a good player but that doesn't mean he will work in the Championship and we'll have to wait and see if he were to join. I would hope he's the type we'd look at, as we've not had a proper footballer at the back for ages, but he got time on the ball in France that he won't here. Any player heading into a new division is a risk, including lads moving from the Prem to the Championship. I'd back him to do well, but he might need time to adapt. Still got 4-5 years in him as a CB, so that's in his favour.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am

Rodwell is, I think, someone who would do well in a back 3. Not sure about one of a pair at the back, that's up to the manager.

He's not some terrible non-league player who who tricked the world. He is a decent player. He wasn't worth the wages he was paid, but that's not the lad's fault. He was a young, English player that that leads to hype. If his head is right he's easily good enough for this division and did well for Everton in the Prem.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am
Rodwell is, I think, someone who would do well in a back 3. Not sure about one of a pair at the back, that's up to the manager.

He's not some terrible non-league player who who tricked the world. He is a decent player. He wasn't worth the wages he was paid, but that's not the lad's fault. He was a young, English player that that leads to hype. If his head is right he's easily good enough for this division and did well for Everton in the Prem.
When did he last play well? How many injuries has he had since last playing well.

Even if you could get his head right, and I'm unconvinced that is going to happen quickly, his hamstring is prone to go at any time.

Madness to sign him, absolute madness.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

When did he last play well? How many injuries has he had since last playing well.

Even if you could get his head right, and I'm unconvinced that is going to happen quickly, his hamstring is prone to go at any time.

When did he last get games under a manager who wanted him? He was signed by committee at City and then by Gus Poyet at Sunderland when they were collectively dire. Since then he's had something like 6 managers who have all seen his wages as a burden and he's been pushed towards the door, including whilst in rehab for that injury.

I agree with you he'd be a risk, but the lad does have ability as a player. Everton is that only club that has really included him in the squad and supported him and he's clearly a player that needs that. I won't be upset if we don't sign him (I don't even know if we want to), but the idea that he's not good enough for us is wide of the mark. His injury history is a valid concern.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

When did he last get games under a manager who wanted him? He was signed by committee at City and then by Gus Poyet at Sunderland when they were collectively dire. Since then he's had something like 6 managers who have all seen his wages as a burden and he's been pushed towards the door, including whilst in rehab for that injury.

I agree with you he'd be a risk, but the lad does have ability as a player. Everton is that only club that has really included him in the squad and supported him and he's clearly a player that needs that. I won't be upset if we don't sign him (I don't even know if we want to), but the idea that he's not good enough for us is wide of the mark. His injury history is a valid concern.
Good enough on form he hasn't shown in a long long time. And an injury record that would make Darren Anderton blush. I thought we were moving on with younger, fresher players. Not signing the types of players who relegated us from the top flight then left us bottom end of the championship.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:28 am
I thought we were moving on with younger, fresher players. Not signing the types of players who relegated us from the top flight then left us bottom end of the championship.

He's 7 years younger than Henry and 5 younger than Pratley.

I agree he's still a massive risk, like another Kirchoff with all sorts of mental baggage too.
Even if he played well he'd get stick.

How motivated would you be with squillions sitting in the bank and everyone on your back?
As soon as it gets hard you've got a soft place to fall on your piles of dosh, so don't know how that would play out.
Not especially renowned for his inner drive and mental toughness is he?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:28 pm

His injury history is nothing like either Anderton or Kirchoff. Allardyce said the lad played with the handbrake on because he was always thinking he'd get injured, but that his actual injury history wasn't bad. With Rodwell it's in his head. Unless Sam was trying it on to trick a club into taking him. As I said, it'll depend on whether Parky thinks he can sort the lad out. It sounds like he declares himself unfit to play when he thinks he might get an injury and not when he's injured. That's Coleman's view, anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Something similar happened to a mate of mine. He got into the first team and was playing European football at 18, then he got an ankle injury and it took him a year to get back properly. He got himself a move to a decent club and he just couldn't get his head right following the injury. He ended up on loan and was lucky that he got a manager who sat him down and talked him through things. He managed to kick on, got more football and ended up with some international caps. If he'd not had the right manager on loan he'd probably have ended up in a similar position to Rodwell. Blaming his situation on external factors and not fixing it on the training ground.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Akpan has gone to Bradford.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:52 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 pm
Akpan has gone to Bradford.
Iles tweets Bolton were never interested as they are "aiming higher". Should think so.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Some rumours around that we are looking at Mulumbu. Has that made any papers?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Not seen it anywhere.

Out of contract is he? Seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Type we need, but his career seems to have gone backwards.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:52 pm

I think he is, yes. It may just be people linking SPL players because Ken said we'd check on a few Bosmans in Scotland.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:43 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Not seen it anywhere.

Out of contract is he? Seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Type we need, but his career seems to have gone backwards.
31 years-old now and playing for Kilmarnock. A few articles saying he's a star there and they want to keep him but the top 4 Scottish clubs are circling.... No-one mentions us that I can see... But he's in Scotland; we're in Scotland, room on the bus for a litl 'un...

Played 141 Premier League games so a step above Pratley and Henry although getting up there in age too

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Mulumbu was a superb player for West Brom. Not sure what happened at Norwich, but you'd like to think a move from Killy to the Championship would appeal. If we are actively looking at freebies in Scotland then I'd hope that players like Mulumbu, Templeton and Crawford would make that list.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Here is the interview with Rodwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... blame.html

Seems himself as a ball playing CH.

There are some rumours that Sheffield Wednesday are also interested, as well as MLS teams, so it is likely that any low wages offer we make will be trumped by others.

If we were to be in a position to sign him, the comments here about him being scared to get injured is precisely what would be a massive problem imho. For whatever reason he was sat at home uninjured on £70kpw as Sunderland lurched into L1. That suggests a mental weakness. We need the opposite. We need a leader and someone who sets an example to everyone else in terms of commitment at CH. We need someone who will take bruises to win aerial duels and stretch every muscle to keep pace with quick forwards a lot of teams have in the Championship. If we signed at least two more decent CH's, and took Rodwell on some sort of low wage trial basis with a view to rehabilitating him and getting him involved, then fine, the benefits could be great, if he could work with our fitness team and build his confidence. But he doesn't appear to be someone we can rely on from the start.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:53 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:02 pm
Here is the interview with Rodwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... blame.html

Seems himself as a ball playing CH.

There are some rumours that Sheffield Wednesday are also interested, as well as MLS teams, so it is likely that any low wages offer we make will be trumped by others.

If we were to be in a position to sign him, the comments here about him being scared to get injured is precisely what would be a massive problem imho. For whatever reason he was sat at home uninjured on £70kpw as Sunderland lurched into L1. That suggests a mental weakness. We need the opposite. We need a leader and someone who sets an example to everyone else in terms of commitment at CH. We need someone who will take bruises to win aerial duels and stretch every muscle to keep pace with quick forwards a lot of teams have in the Championship. If we signed at least two more decent CH's, and took Rodwell on some sort of low wage trial basis with a view to rehabilitating him and getting him involved, then fine, the benefits could be great, if he could work with our fitness team and build his confidence. But he doesn't appear to be someone we can rely on from the start.

Smacks to me of a 'come and get me' style interview set up by his agent. Best avoided.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Smacks to me of a 'come and get me' style interview set up by his agent. Best avoided.
Yeah it did. I have minimal confidence in him. At minimal wages maybe worth a punt to see if "Jack can be great again"/there's anything left at all.
27 unbelievable waste.
If he hadn't been 'earning' 74K per week he might be hungry but he looked pretty ensconced on his pristine ice-white couch.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm

IMO the quality of our squad is clearly dependent on KA getting investment in - its becoming clear to me that KA will not put a penny of his own money in to get some of these quality additions into the club, the likes of Wyke, Teixeira, Kone etc...who would significantly improve us.

I think that he has the best intentions of the club at heart, but I don't think that he's that bothered whether it affects our start to the season or not. Its not panic fanny time but its quite obvious to me that we have our targets but we will only proceed if someone else pays for them not KA....and BTW I've always backed KA