Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 am
Not sure how anyone would see losing Vela as a good thing, given how much we need his energy in midfield. He's not the most talented midfielder ever, but he's a better footballer than Pratley and he does that job better. We've nobody else in the squad who can do it.
what about Williams?
He seems to have it all apart from goals - based on his higlights from last year in our division.

Lowe is easily our best midfielder.
I was expecting much more from Murphy.
O'Neill's has been better.
Should have got Gary Gardner...
Insane? had a good description of Vela, premiership athlete, league 1 skills.
If he wasn't local he'd be long gone.
If someone's offering something decent we'd be fools not to take it.
What could've happened; did.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

mullayo wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 am
Not sure how anyone would see losing Vela as a good thing, given how much we need his energy in midfield. He's not the most talented midfielder ever, but he's a better footballer than Pratley and he does that job better. We've nobody else in the squad who can do it.
what about Williams?
He seems to have it all apart from goals - based on his higlights from last year in our division.

Lowe is easily our best midfielder.
I was expecting much more from Murphy.
O'Neill's has been better.
Should have got Gary Gardner...
What's 'something decent'? Unless we're talking £5m+ I think it would be absolute madness to sell now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am

Aye far too big a risk to sell Vela. We aren’t exactly stacked in midfield with options. With Williams I think we are just about in quota. I’d not sell Josh at this point.

Financially probably a different story. Right now Vela offers running that nobody else does. And we need that running, badly. Against Birmingham we were crying out for someone pressing the ball. We won so it was glossed over. But the idea that Vela was the problem against Sheffield United is nonsense. Our away form has been built on two holding and Josh doing the running. Why we’d want to change that is beyond me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm

mullayo wrote:
what about Williams?
There's your issue.

The lad looks a player, but you can't say he can do a particular job based off a highlights reel.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm
mullayo wrote:
what about Williams?
There's your issue.

The lad looks a player, but you can't say he can do a particular job based off a highlights reel.
But we were just saying no-one else on the squad (apart from Lowe) can do the job - Vela not enough skills, Murphy not enough running, Oz not enough human...

Before we give 35 year-old Gary O'Neill the position...
The logical next step is to play Williams and see if he can do the job.
Everton think enough of him to have a recall clause. If they get injuries he may disappear halfway through the season.
I'd say he'll get a half soon enough.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am
mullayo wrote:

What's 'something decent'? Unless we're talking £5m+ I think it would be absolute madness to sell now.
'
You might be talking £5m+
I might be talking £2m+
The problem is what Ken is talking... ?
Usually bollocks excuses and blaming others...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 am

mullayo wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 am
The_Gun wrote:
mullayo wrote:

'
I might be talking £2m+
Selling Vela would be silly at this point. January might be a different story if a new contract can’t be agreed. I’d far rather have his athleticism than not. We need it. It’s a huge asset.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 am

mullayo wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 am
The_Gun wrote:
mullayo wrote:

'
I might be talking £2m+
Unlees we desperately need the money, which it appears we don't, then selling would be seriously stupid. We need to give ourselves the best chance of staying in this division and weakening our squad at this stage certainly isn't going to help that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 am

If we go off gossip then both Beevers and Vela are likely to leave before the deadline. If that were to happen, the club had better know what they're doing and have replacements lined up in advance.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:59 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 am
If we go off gossip then both Beevers and Vela are likely to leave before the deadline. If that were to happen, the club had better know what they're doing and have replacements lined up in advance.
Really??? Seems highly unlikely to me.

Iles said this morning that there 'could' be some incomings which sounds slightly concerning to me, as I think we definitely need a couple more in.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 am
Vela's been having a right barney on twitter with his haters.

It'd be a weird decision to let him go now, especially with Murphy struggling.

And I hardly trust them to have a replacement lined up. They didn't have one lined up to replace ALF, or Madine for that matter.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Vela and Beevers (I think) are both in the final year of their respective deals. From a financial point of view it makes loads of sense to flog them now. Makes no sense on the football side of things, but with the young lad in from Everton I suppose we would only be one short if Vela went and that would be a #10. We'd miss his energy, but money talks.

Beevers would be missed only if we couldn't sign a replacement. I don't think we need him as much as we need Vela, but we have less cover if he goes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:11 pm
Vela and Beevers (I think) are both in the final year of their respective deals.
This is why I try to keep the Contract Expiry thread updated, unless I'm on holiday.

They are indeed both in the final year of their contract. As is everyone, except Alnwick, Olkowski, Lowe, Murphy, Oztumer, Ameobi and Magennis, plus Connor Hall and The Other Zouma. Could be another busy summer.

As I've said before, I'm fine with us having a churn of players, if the alternative is wasters hanging about. That said, it's a high-risk strategy so we should be trying to tie down the saleable assets to longer contracts; the fact that we haven't done so with Beevers and Vela (and one or two others) might suggest that either Ken doesn't agree with their agents' opinion of their worth, or Parky doesn't feel they are utterly essential to the team, or both.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Old-fashion ed of me I know, but should professional footballers even be arguing the toss with fans on public media outlets? I did a lot of head shaking, reading ( on here mainly as I don't tweet and twitter ) about Kev Davies's wife slinging the custard pies about with his fans. She got a lot of stick, but what decent wife wouldn't defend her husband against abusers? It's all so wrong and surely can affect the mood and mentality of players, players being paid a lot of money to play football. Laughable part about it all, are these people football fans at all or just trolls? My guess is the latter.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm
Jugs wrote:

Old-fashion ed of me I know, but should professional footballers even be arguing the toss with fans on public media outlets? I did a lot of head shaking, reading ( on here mainly as I don't tweet and twitter ) about Kev Davies's wife slinging the custard pies about with his fans. She got a lot of stick, but what decent wife wouldn't defend her husband against abusers? It's all so wrong and surely can affect the mood and mentality of players, players being paid a lot of money to play football. Laughable part about it all, are these people football fans at all or just trolls? My guess is the latter.
I don't think Vela should be doing interacting, and to be honest it's not like he's getting abuse. Just some fans are saying what we say on here - he's plateaued.

Anyway, how can we sell him now, lads? Cash window has closed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm
Jugs wrote:

I don't think Vela should be doing interacting, and to be honest it's not like he's getting abuse. Just some fans are saying what we say on here - he's plateaued.

Anyway, how can we sell him now, lads? Cash window has closed.
Loan-to-buy, like us with Remi Matthews.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Why not? Knob heads want to get after him he can tell then to get f*cked. Folk whined that they were all behind fences in ivory towers and now you can speak to them but the flip side is they can speak back. If you'd gone up to someone in the pub in the old days and told them they were a shithouse, I doubt the reaction would've been "oh I don't think I should interact".

Being less flippant, one of the best things about the year we went up was the bond again between players and fans. Josh was a big part of that. Only justification for selling him for me is if contract negs have broken down.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 pm
Why not? Knob heads want to get after him he can tell then to get f*cked. Folk whined that they were all behind fences in ivory towers and now you can speak to them but the flip side is they can speak back. If you'd gone up to someone in the pub in the old days and told them they were a shithouse, I doubt the reaction would've been "oh I don't think I should interact".
Being less flippant, one of the best things about the year we went up was the bond again between players and fans. Josh was a big part of that. Only justification for selling him for me is if contract negs have broken down.
Can I just clarify? This is Atticus Prufrock, university student curently studying law who posted that? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:12 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 pm
Can I just clarify? This is Atticus Prufrock, university student curently studying law who posted that? :lol:
Must be the longest degree ever if he's still studying

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 pm

:lol: aye, I'll take it though, cheers TD!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.