Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Of course we'll need investment to compete properly, but predictions of doom at this stage is nonsense - we don't know what will happen over the next few months. How about postponing the despair until we know there is no forthcoming investment?
Not predicting doom. I expect Ken to come up with the goods this time. He knows he has to!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm
I am in a really good mood. But lets not mess around. We need SOME money to avoid relegation. We can't survive like we did last season as given Wigan are coming up bankrolled by new owners and Blackburn will have a budget larger than Burton's - both likely to be somewhat stronger than Burton and Barnsley. And no premiership side coming down will be as bad as Sunderland.
Aye you must be in a good mood, 'cos yesterday you said "Wigan have failed in this league twice in the last 3 years and Blackburn went down for a reason too" and that Grayson failed at Sunderland. Now the two promoted sides seem to be juggernauts and the poor old Mackems a lost cause... :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:45 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Of course we'll need investment to compete properly, but predictions of doom at this stage is nonsense - we don't know what will happen over the next few months. How about postponing the despair until we know there is no forthcoming investment?
Not predicting doom. I expect Ken to come up with the goods this time. He knows he has to!
I hope he does, but I'm not going to think about it until later in the summer and enjoy the happy glow of Sunday for as long as possible :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm
I am in a really good mood. But lets not mess around. We need SOME money to avoid relegation. We can't survive like we did last season as given Wigan are coming up bankrolled by new owners and Blackburn will have a budget larger than Burton's - both likely to be somewhat stronger than Burton and Barnsley. And no premiership side coming down will be as bad as Sunderland.
Aye you must be in a good mood, 'cos yesterday you said "Wigan have failed in this league twice in the last 3 years and Blackburn went down for a reason too" and that Grayson failed at Sunderland. Now the two promoted sides seem to be juggernauts and the poor old Mackems a lost cause... :D
Not juggernauts, just more competitive that Burton/Barnsley.

And frankly we need to see some off field progress badly!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Schteve McClaren said to be taking over at QPR. If they're going all pass-to-feet, it might open the door wider for their lofty striker Matt Smith. (Rs fan in the office says we can have him.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Schteve McClaren said to be taking over at QPR. If they're going all pass-to-feet, it might open the door wider for their lofty striker Matt Smith. (Rs fan in the office says we can have him.)
That's one team who could go into the bottom 3 then!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm
Yes that is a crazy appointment, getting rid of Holloway and appointing McClaren. If we were to change things, Holloway and McCarthy represent perfect Championship safe pair of hands on low budget type of appointments. Otherwise, Smith would be perfect for Parky...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Interesting to see you both so sure QPR have made a mistake. There's two Rs fans in the office today and they both agree Holloway has outlived his usefulness and gone a bit mad; mention is made of ever-changing line-ups, kids brought in and discarded. One of them fondly remembers McClaren's previous spell at the club (as a coach) for the fine football it brought. Maybe they've got their own five-year plan. McClaren has always struck me as slightly struggling when making big purchases or managing big egos, but he's a very highly-regarded coach.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd welcome anyone finishing below us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 09, 2018 3:31 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm
Yes that is a crazy appointment, getting rid of Holloway and appointing McClaren. If we were to change things, Holloway and McCarthy represent perfect Championship safe pair of hands on low budget type of appointments. Otherwise, Smith would be perfect for Parky...
Wash your mouth out. Apart from Owen Coyle there isn't a manager I'd like us to employ less!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm

League One clubs finished a day ahead of Champo clubs, and they're being a bit quicker to publish their release/retain lists: there's a few stories at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one

Most notably (but not exactly world-shakingly), Peterborough boss Steve Evans has transfer-listed 13 players including captain Jack Baldwin. The 6ft1in 24yo can play centre-back, defensive midfield or right-back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Burton have offered contracts to six players who might go free: winger Lloyd Dyer (35), midfielder Hope Akpan (26), former BW keeper Harry Campbell (22) and defenders Tom Naylor (26), Damien McCrory (28) and Jake Buxton (33). 35yo forward Luke Varney has been released, full-back Tom Flanagan (26) has been transfer-listed.

Hammersmith-born but a one-cap Norn Iron international, 6ft 2in Flanagan has played across both defence and midfield, totalling 57 games in the Championship. Nigel Clough explains that with Burton relegated, he has to “make cuts somewhere”: "He's got a year left, but we have to free something up somewhere. With John Brayford, if Damien McCrory stays, and Ben Turner stepping in at left-back as he did, I don't think we can carry all three. He's made 57 Championship appearances in the last two years, and he did well. He had a new lease of life, almost, at full-back. The reasoning for bringing him back was he covers you all the way across the back four. That's still the case, but we have to make cuts somewhere and unfortunately, that's one of them. He hasn't done anything wrong greatly. It's just that, as I say, if Damien signs, it'll be Brayford and Damien who'll be our full-backs."

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Interesting to see you both so sure QPR have made a mistake. There's two Rs fans in the office today and they both agree Holloway has outlived his usefulness and gone a bit mad; mention is made of ever-changing line-ups, kids brought in and discarded. One of them fondly remembers McClaren's previous spell at the club (as a coach) for the fine football it brought. Maybe they've got their own five-year plan. McClaren has always struck me as slightly struggling when making big purchases or managing big egos, but he's a very highly-regarded coach.

They would know best obviously, but from the outside looking in, if you look at QPR's team, they are very limited, particularly up front, and personally I think Holloway has done a really good job there to keep them out of trouble, especially as he has had practically no money to spend. And they play some nice stuff too. If McClaren has to work under the same conditions he will be lucky to last six months imo.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 09, 2018 4:57 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 pm

They would know best obviously, but from the outside looking in, if you look at QPR's team, they are very limited, particularly up front, and personally I think Holloway has done a really good job there to keep them out of trouble, especially as he has had practically no money to spend. And they play some nice stuff too. If McClaren has to work under the same conditions he will be lucky to last six months imo.
All about perceptions I suppose. They both seem to think Rs are playing football that's neither nice nor effective, and that Holloway is to blame. One of them is worried about McClaren, for the usual reasons, but the other's fairly confident. Me, I'm intrigued. He'll not be going in blind, he'll know how much money he's got, and if he's got to bring through the youth players he should be quite good at that. Arguably better than if they give him £10m and demand promotion, Derby-style.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed May 09, 2018 4:58 pm

According to Pete O’Rourke from Football Insider, Bolton Wanderers are set to compete with Rangers and Hearts for Plymouth Argyle defender, Sonny Bradley.

The article from Football Insider states:

“A well-placed source has told Football Insider that incoming Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is in the market for defensive reinforcements this summer and has given the green light to the pursuit. Bolton Wanderers are long-term admirers of the defender and they are monitoring Bradley’s situation.

Bradley would fit the type of player Bolton are looking to sign as he is a free agent and Phil Parkinson is a big fan of the towering defender.”

26 year old Sonny Bradley has been with Plymouth for the past two years, scoring 11 goals in 94 games.

The centre back has been offered a new deal by Plymouth, but could leave for free should the right offer come along.

As with all transfer rumours, it’s only official when a player is on the BWFC website wearing a shirt and holding a scarf.

Bradley was previously linked with Wanderers in January, so this could just be a rumour being rehashed.
https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... h-defender

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bradley

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Wed May 09, 2018 4:57 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 pm

All about perceptions I suppose. They both seem to think Rs are playing football that's neither nice nor effective, and that Holloway is to blame. One of them is worried about McClaren, for the usual reasons, but the other's fairly confident. Me, I'm intrigued. He'll not be going in blind, he'll know how much money he's got, and if he's got to bring through the youth players he should be quite good at that. Arguably better than if they give him £10m and demand promotion, Derby-style.
It would be hilarious if he sports a strong Lahndan accent in his first post match interview :)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:24 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:58 pm
According to Pete O’Rourke from Football Insider, Bolton Wanderers are set to compete with Rangers and Hearts for Plymouth Argyle defender, Sonny Bradley.

The article from Football Insider states:

“A well-placed source has told Football Insider that incoming Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is in the market for defensive reinforcements this summer and has given the green light to the pursuit. Bolton Wanderers are long-term admirers of the defender and they are monitoring Bradley’s situation.

Bradley would fit the type of player Bolton are looking to sign as he is a free agent and Phil Parkinson is a big fan of the towering defender.”

26 year old Sonny Bradley has been with Plymouth for the past two years, scoring 11 goals in 94 games.

The centre back has been offered a new deal by Plymouth, but could leave for free should the right offer come along.

As with all transfer rumours, it’s only official when a player is on the BWFC website wearing a shirt and holding a scarf.

Bradley was previously linked with Wanderers in January, so this could just be a rumour being rehashed.
https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... h-defender

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bradley
6ft 5in!! Parky must be salivating :)

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 am

So am I correct in saying this is our under-contract squad as it stands:

K: Ben Amos, Jake Turner,
RB:Mark Little, Stephen Darby,
LB:Andrew Taylor,
CB: David Wheater (option)
DM:
M: Josh Vela,
RW:
LW:Will Buckley,
ST: Adam Le Fondre, Craig Noone
TS:
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 am

Found this Fanpost on Lion of Vienna Suite dated March 27 from RCJ_97: My Wanderers Summer Wishlist
Nostradamus like prescience from six weeks ago to what we've been discussing on the board.

Free Agents
David Meyler:

Maybe a different first choice to many, but one I feel would make a lot of sense for our side. Karl Henry has been the signing of the season, but only he knows whether or not he has it in him to carry on for another season. This is where I think David Meyler would be a great replacement. An experienced pro, seven years Henry’s junior, Meyler has over ten seasons of first team football at Premier League and Championship level. Along with the 20 international caps he has won for Ireland and his online presence in the YouTube community, Meyler would bring a high level of professionalism and leadership to the squad. His contract is due to run out this summer, and is a player that I feel should be considered with some sincerity, should his wage demands be suitable for our budget. As a massive fan of David Meyler myself, I would love to see him in a white shirt.

Erhan Oztumer:

5"3 yet still ran the show when we played against Walsall last season. Arguably one of the best players in League One, and I couldn’t believe that The Saddlers managed to keep hold of him in the summer. That said, his contract is set to expire and I wouldn’t be surprised if we aren’t linked with the number 10. His on the ball ability reminds me of Barry Bannan during his short time here, and his link up play with Le Fondre during this time, could be something that Oztumer may be able to replicate should he join the club. A small, nimble and technically excellent number ten, now doesn’t that sound familiar?

C.Y.Lee:

Now this may be something a little sentimental, but after the falling through of the deadline day loan move to the Macron, I have no doubt Wanderers fans would love to see the South Korean pull the white shirt on again. It is hard to see us being able to afford his wages, but with the lack of football in the Premier League at Crystal Palace, Chungy may be willing to lower his demands for the hope of first team football. There is no doubts of his ability, however he has only featured for Palace five times this season, but with a full pre-season and move away from London, CYL could resurrect his career back in Bolton.

Scouting League One

Graham Carey:

Carey is an Attacking Midfielder currently applying his trade along with former Wanderer Oscar Threlkeld at Plymouth Argyle. 9 Goals and 13 Assists in his 34 appearances this season has been a great effort from the former Republic Of Ireland U21, and is someone who I feel could be a great addition to the squad up here in the North West.

Marcus Maddison:

A player linked with the Wanderers following promotion last season. Maddison has had an unbelievable season at Peterborough scoring 8 goals and providing 18 assists. Would he be a good acquisition for Wanderers, or was there a reason nothing materialised last summer?

Jack Marriott:

Alongside Maddison is Jack Marriott. A 23-year-old striker who is currently the top scorer in the league with 23 goals. Between Maddison and Marriot, they have been directly involved in 53 goals this season, an outstanding feat for any duo. Marriott could easily find it hard to adapt to the Championship, but at the age of 23, he has plenty of room for growth and I believe Parky can get the absolute best out of players.
What could've happened; did.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am

mullayo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 am
So am I correct in saying this is our under-contract squad as it stands:
I keep a Contract Expiry thread updated: see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23114&p=1054597#p1054597

If you're including Wheater because he has an optional extension, then the same applies to Karacan, Dervite and Morais. (Other players may also have "options", but we can only go on the information that the club makes public.)
K: Ben Amos, Jake Turner
RB: Mark Little, Stephen Darby
LB: Andrew Taylor
CB: David Wheater (option), Dorian Dervite (option)
DM:
M: Josh Vela, Jem Karacan (option)
RW: Filipe Morais (option)
LW: Will Buckley
ST: Adam Le Fondre, Craig Noone
TS:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 10, 2018 9:22 am

Beevers has come out and unequivocally said he wants to stay. So I suspect unless the club decide otherwise he will stay. I'd like that to not necessarily be as an out and out first choice. Make him fight for his place. Only left footed CB we had though.