Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 am

https://youtu.be/OybT0mRUaoY

murph video is up. seems a nice calm guy.
What could've happened; did.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/august ... ke-murphy/

And done.

No idea what he's like, but we were desperate for another midfield player. Still need one more IMO.
Henry coming back wouldn't be the end of the world for me. It's that type we need anyway. Got legs in Lowe and Vela, hopefully a bit of quality on the ball in Murphy, need a headcase now. Plus a LB, keeper, and we're not far off. Would like more pace at the back but got our 4 there now I think (admittedly with three crocks). If that Rangers offer for Beevers is still there and wood allow us to get a more mobile CB i'd snap their hands off.

Alternatively he could be planning to use Wilson as the enforcer in midfield and we need a CB instead.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

And done.

No idea what he's like, but we were desperate for another midfield player. Still need one more IMO.
Henry coming back wouldn't be the end of the world for me. It's that type we need anyway. Got legs in Lowe and Vela, hopefully a bit of quality on the ball in Murphy, need a headcase now. Plus a LB, keeper, and we're not far off. Would like more pace at the back but got our 4 there now I think (admittedly with three crocks). If that Rangers offer for Beevers is still there and wood allow us to get a more mobile CB i'd snap their hands off.

Alternatively he could be planning to use Wilson as the enforcer in midfield and we need a CB instead.
Just sign Henry. He wouldn't play every game. But as you say he's the type we need, knows the job here. I think he'd be massively useful especially late on in games. He was used as a first option last season, but as a squad player he'd be really ideal, I'd have thought.

Think Murphy has been used as a defensive type midfield player at Burton and Leeds at times according to their fans so he might do that job too.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:38 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

And done.

I agree with all this.
I think Wilson is a utility. If Beevers goes he can be the left-sided centreback, if not he can cover Lowe for his inevitable yellow-card suspensions.
I would like to see him get game time, in a bunch of roles early season (especially centreback) to see if he's not better/quicker.
My worry with Henry would be if he'd been training? If not his legs may be gone.

1st leftback and 2nd keeper are priority now over 5th striker. Even quicker Mancienne-type 5th centreback is more important. We play every game with 2 centrebacks.
Last edited by mullayo on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:39 am

Henry give over - no way, he served a purpose last season but he could hardly move at the end of the season & he's 36 in a few months time. We've moved on significantly IMO & the squad is looking ok - Lowe & Murphy are a step up from Henry, both far more energetic, mobile & both better on the ball than Henry & Pratley.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 am

Think Murphy has been used as a defensive type midfield player at Burton and Leeds at times according to their fans so he might do that job too.
149 games as a centre mid and 40 games as DM - kind of bridging player but big enough and experienced enough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:45 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:39 am
Henry give over - no way, he served a purpose last season but he could hardly move at the end of the season & he's 36 in a few months time. We've moved on significantly IMO & the squad is looking ok - Lowe & Murphy are a step up from Henry, both far more energetic, mobile & both better on the ball than Henry & Pratley.
Depends if we lack that presence in front of the back four. Been a huge problem for us down the years. Henry the first to properly fill it for me.

Lowe and Murphy are definitely more mobile, but sometimes you need someone protecting your centre halves.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:53 am

Aye, and a huge difference between him playing every minute of every game and being used more sparingly.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:53 am
Aye, and a huge difference between him playing every minute of every game and being used more sparingly.
Exactly. We'd be a better team at West Brom with him in (obviously he'd not be fit...but if he were) than him not.

Bristol City at home, you'd probably not pick him.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Very happy with the Murphy signing. There was a worrying, glaring, gaping hole in the squad in CM/DM. To me it has now been partially filled.

+1 for Henry. He would be ideal now. Not only would he add some ruthlessness, he is a true leader. He does some nasty stuff like professional fouls and moaning at the ref precisely when the team needs it, plus he organizes everyone else and gets people fired up. He captained two teams to promotion from this league.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:29 pm

I've got a really good feeling about Murphy.

I don't know whether we'll bring Henry back but it's rumoured that we effectively put him on notice. I'd have him back here too.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Anderson confirms we made a bid for Wyke which was below Bradford's valuation and that we won't be trying to outbid Sunderland. So presumably there's still a bit of cash available for the right player.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm
Anderson confirms we made a bid for Wyke which was below Bradford's valuation and that we won't be trying to outbid Sunderland. So presumably there's still a bit of cash available for the right player.
Bid might have been £100,000!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:13 pm
Bid might have been £100,000!
"Potentially reaching" 600k was what was being said around here at the time. God knows what that actually means in terms of upfront cash, if it's an accurate report.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:28 pm

The squad numbers have been released. Do Connor Hall, Jack Earing and Jake Turner still count as Development Squad players? Do we have five available places left or just two?

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/august ... confirmed/
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Jay Desilva young highly rated LB at Chelsea rumoured to be our next signing (probably on loan) - could be absolute bollocks though....but Lee Anderson was apparently at Chelsea a few days ago

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Any indication what the "double emoji" thing people were going on about meant? We only seem to have announced one; unless we're waiting on another club to sort their side.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm
Any indication what the "double emoji" thing people were going on about meant? We only seem to have announced one; unless we're waiting on another club to sort their side.
Think other one is that Zouma who Iles says we are still waiting on paperwork for.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm
Think other one is that Zouma who Iles says we are still waiting on paperwork for.
No young Zouma is for the U23's not 1st team....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 pm

That wouldn’t preclude agent Lee patting his own back!

I think Robinson will have surprised us - I think that position might be a late deadline day job. When is deadline day?