Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by jmjhb » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:46 pm

A double emoji explosion from Lee

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:48 pm

All but confirmed Wyke is heading to Sunderland:
SUNDERLAND. Wyke fee agreed with Bradford. 500 plus 500. All happy. Subject to terms and medical. Doyle at Preston likeliest replacement on loan.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:03 pm

One assumes that Garner is a result of us not getting or main targets (Wyke being one). Same reason we eventually picked up Hobbs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:03 pm
One assumes that Garner is a result of us not getting or main targets (Wyke being one). Same reason we eventually picked up Hobbs.
I disagree. We never put an offer in for Wyke. Ever. We put an offer in for Magennis at least twice. My view is Wyke has been media talk all this time.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:03 pm
I disagree. We never put an offer in for Wyke. Ever. We put an offer in for Magennis at least twice. My view is Wyke has been media talk all this time.
Agreed, but even then - His agent would probably be pushing for a better package at Sunderland with a promotion bonus built in - with us, his package could only go down, should we get relegated
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
We also never put a bid in for Bauer, but we went for him. Anderson negotiates and then makes offers. Iles has openly discussed Wyke with people at BWFC and people at Bradford have confirmed our interest on background, just not on the record.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:31 pm

If we got Garner, Ireland and Robinson (big ifs), would people see them as good business?

Pretty sure there's a consensus view that everyone would be happy with Robinson, but not sure about the other two.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We also never put a bid in for Bauer, but we went for him. Anderson negotiates and then makes offers. Iles has openly discussed Wyke with people at BWFC and people at Bradford have confirmed our interest on background, just not on the record.
Iles. Do me a favour. That bloke gets told what they want him to know. He was claiming we'd bid for Wyke, until Bradford told him we hadn't.

We put bids in for two strikers. Magennis one. The other? Not Wyke.

Doesn't in any way suggest to me that Wyke was ever our number one target. Just a convenient name to band around the media. I'm not saying there was never an interest, but given in the meantime we've put bids in for two other strikers and signed one of them, one we had gone for in January, I think its pretty clear where Parky's priorities lay.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:31 pm
If we got Garner, Ireland and Robinson (big ifs), would people see them as good business?

Pretty sure there's a consensus view that everyone would be happy with Robinson, but not sure about the other two.
Garner would be a good signing - 1 in 3 at this level, better than that slightly at Preston his best spell there. Only downside is he's 30. But for this season? Be better than Wyke and probably means we will sell ALF as cannot see a role for both.

Robinson yes.

Ireland? No. He's not what we need, I doubt his attitude and fitness and I'd prefer us to bring in energy and presence into the midfield.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm
Iles. Do me a favour. That bloke gets told what they want him to know. He was claiming we'd bid for Wyke, until Bradford told him we hadn't.

Doesn't in any way suggest to me that Wyke was ever our number one target. Just a convenient name to band around the media. I'm not saying there was never an interest, but given in the meantime we've put bids in for two other strikers and signed one of them, one we had gone for in January, I think its pretty clear where Parky's priorities lay.
My take on Wyke was that we were interested, but never at the price quoted. For a time it looked like Bradford would have to drop their valuation a lot, because neither we nor Sunderland had the cash. Then Sunderland made a sale and suddenly Bradford knew they could get the money they wanted and we were out.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

Robinson yes. Got legs and upside.
Ireland no,old, injury prone and no output. No upside.
Garner meh, scores screamer goals but not often enough. If he ran around the midfield and tackled maybe. Another striker isn't going to move the needle.

I'm more concerned with speedier centreback and defensive mid and have been for a long while.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

My take on Wyke was that we were interested, but never at the price quoted. For a time it looked like Bradford would have to drop their valuation a lot, because neither we nor Sunderland had the cash. Then Sunderland made a sale and suddenly Bradford knew they could get the money they wanted and we were out.
Anderson was interested in Wyke up to $300K. I was interested up to $500K.
Parky and casual fans were interested up to $1m and beyond.
What could've happened; did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think there is a difference between "interested at a low price" and "Parky's number one target". I think we'll spend money on a second player now, whereas Wyke would have cost the lot. And isn't fit. And the more I hear the more I sense Wyke was less of a fit for a Parky team than Magennis.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:57 pm
I think there is a difference between "interested at a low price" and "Parky's number one target". I think we'll spend money on a second player now, whereas Wyke would have cost the lot. And isn't fit. And the more I hear the more I sense Wyke was less of a fit for a Parky team than Magennis.
We were clearly prepared to wait on Wyke, so I'd say he was the one Parky actually wanted. Magennis was our fall-back in January and became so again, by the looks of it.

Regardless, Josh is in and Charlie isn't - which is now all that matters.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:57 pm
We were clearly prepared to wait on Wyke, so I'd say he was the one Parky actually wanted. Magennis was our fall-back in January and became so again, by the looks of it.

Regardless, Josh is in and Charlie isn't - which is now all that matters.

Magennis was Parky’s first choice to replace Madine in January.

You are guessing based on Marc Iles. Who thought they’d bid for Wyke but they never did. I will bet that Wyke was an interest but never first choice in the way Iles has made out.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:58 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Garner would be a good signing - 1 in 3 at this level, better than that slightly at Preston his best spell there. Only downside is he's 30. But for this season? Be better than Wyke and probably means we will sell ALF as cannot see a role for both.

Robinson yes.

Ireland? No. He's not what we need, I doubt his attitude and fitness and I'd prefer us to bring in energy and presence into the midfield.
Agree with this. Garner gives us another good option up front and we'd look way stronger in that department than we did last year.

Robinson is a no brainer.

Ireland almost feels like squad filling and the days of the 80s - "sign him, he used to be good" (see also Mike Doyle, Ian Moores, Asa Hartford etc). I'd rather Karl Henry and a Jay Spearing type.

Great shout on Mancienne by the way. Just what we need imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Luke Murphy has just been released by Leeds. Was on loan to Burton last season

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm
You are guessing based on Marc Iles. Who thought they’d bid for Wyke but they never did. I will bet that Wyke was an interest but never first choice in the way Iles has made out.
I'm not really going off Marc, I'm going off the local lads round here who write for the Yorkshire beat. We'd made our interest in Wyke clear to Bradford and were basically asking to be kept informed. Their valuation was above our's. Sunderland have eventually met the valuation (half up front and half clauses, it seems) and we were never doing that.
jmjhb wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Luke Murphy has just been released by Leeds. Was on loan to Burton last season
Have we shown interest in Murphy since last summer (think we had a link then)? Would be an interesting one.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Robinson to Wigan, according to Iles. That’s an irritating one - whilst not the finished article he certainly improved after Christmas and they get the benefit now. And we need to find a left back as well - suspect we didn’t have a back up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 pm
Robinson to Wigan, according to Iles. That’s an irritating one - whilst not the finished article he certainly improved after Christmas and they get the benefit now. And we need to find a left back as well - suspect we didn’t have a back up.
Soon as I heard Wigan were after him I thought he’d go there for some reason. Need to find a left back and quickly.