Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:08 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 am
Nixon appears to favour the right wing. :wink:
Iles as a paocher. He's been productive feeding on scraps for his whole career.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:10 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:10 pm
Parky is suggesting the formation yesterday was 4-2-3-1, with ALF essentially in the Vela role/
That would be hysterical. Everyone gets excited that Parky is going attacking with two strikers, then he plays Alf in midfield for the entire season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:10 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:10 pm
Parky is suggesting the formation yesterday was 4-2-3-1, with ALF essentially in the Vela role/
That would be hysterical. Everyone gets excited that Parky is going attacking with two strikers, then he plays Alf in midfield for the entire season.
If we win our games 2-0 he can play him in goal for me. He still managed to score. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:21 pm

He might need to do a shift in goal at some point. Is there a recall on turner? Although the fact he is at Stalyvegas says to me he must be miles off first team.

Be good to have a 442 option - but I suspect otzhumer injury has meant Parkys actual formation plans are under wraps. Be daft to start at WBA with such an attacking line up but Millwall at home for example - a lot more welcome.

Mark Little - what’s the crack there then? I would have looked at replacing Taylor first but I suppose you sign what you can get.

International striker for £200k - good business. Hopefully Parky can work his magic and turn him into a valuable asset like Madine was.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:18 pm

Parky's preferred lineups?

Attack: 4-2-3-1
--------------Alnwick------------------
-Olki-----Whe---------Evers----Antonee
----------Vela---------Lowe-------
---Ameobi-----Ozzy/ALF------Wildschut---
------------Magennis/Wyke------------------

Defense: 4-2-3-1
---------------Alnwick---------------------
----Olki----Whe-----Vers------Taylor
------------Lowe------Wilson---------------
------Ameobi-----Vela-----Wildchild-----------
--------------Magennis/Wyke---------------------
Or 4-3-3
------------------Alnwick---------------------
----Olki----Whe-----Vers------Taylor-----
---------Vela-----Lowe-----Wilson-----------
---Ameobi---Magennis/Wyke----Wildchild------

RESERVES:
GK: ?
CB/DM: Wilson
RB: Little
LB: Taylor
RW: Noone
LW: Buckley
ST: Alf
ST: Donaldson
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Could be a funny old season.

Seems the choice is between spending "big" on a 4th striker and getting in an attacking mid. If only we could afford Marcus Maddison.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm all for strength in depth, it's the safest option; but too many cooks could cause rows in the kitchen if they don't get to be head chef often enough. I'm meaning that if I were a striker and had been sweet talked into signing a contract believing I was the point man, I'd be a bit disturbed at us having four or so already and talk of another sixteen arriving (alright, a small exageration maybe) especially if a winning side mentality becomes prelevant. I'd much rather see an up and coming Paul Scholes or some such game-changer/midfield general out there than a bench full of wannabe Eden Hazards scowling at each other and the manager.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:23 am

I'd say Ozzy is more likely to get annoyed at not playing than Donaldson or Magennis are. Donaldson is a veteran who seemed to know he was coming in as a squad player. Magennis seems to have a rep as a food pro without an ego. I'm not saying Ozzy is a bad sort, but I think he's come here expecting to play regularly. If we went and brought in a "big" attacking mid to compete with the little man then we've got two of our main players in the same role.

We absolutely need another creative option in the midfield. I've said so in the this thread before and if we decide to spend there, I'm find with it.

If we were 4-2-3-1 against Posh and intend to go that way, then 4 strikers is a very odd thing to want. I'm back to have no clue what Parky wants to do.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 am

Iles saying we are getting Hobbs on a one year deal

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:35 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:23 am
I'd say Ozzy is more likely to get annoyed at not playing than Donaldson or Magennis are. Donaldson is a veteran who seemed to know he was coming in as a squad player. Magennis seems to have a rep as a food pro without an ego. I'm not saying Ozzy is a bad sort, but I think he's come here expecting to play regularly. If we went and brought in a "big" attacking mid to compete with the little man then we've got two of our main players in the same role.

We absolutely need another creative option in the midfield. I've said so in the this thread before and if we decide to spend there, I'm find with it.

If we were 4-2-3-1 against Posh and intend to go that way, then 4 strikers is a very odd thing to want. I'm back to have no clue what Parky wants to do.
He has been playing ALF in the 3. I quite like that idea, especially at home.

Last season we had ridiculously few options. Given none of our striker signings are likely to score loads its good to have options to be able to rotate in and out as form and fitness dictate.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 am

I'd feel underwhelmed if Hobbs (+Wilson) turns out to be the extent of our business at CB. Injuries to Wheat-Hobbs are going to be pretty inevitable, putting this part of the squad immediately under strain. Would really like to be seeing us adding a younger model.

Which is I'm a bit bamboozled by us going after another striker/AM. I agree with your assessment of Ozzy, Ghost, which is why I can't see 4-4-2 happening. And if it's 4-2-3-1 then you'd have 3 strikers on the bench. I'm all for having options up front but I think we've already added options. It would feel a bit like an embarrassment of riches given the four we'd have in at CB, plus the sheer lack of numbers we'd have back in DM/CM: Lowe (+ Wilson, + maybe a bit-part role for Pritchard) in for Henry, Prats, Derik, Karacan (+ arguably Kirchoff).

Don't get me wrong - we may yet end up bringing in more at CB and DM in addition to another ST or AM, in which case I'd be absolutely delighted.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:04 am

Another emoji explosion from Lee so we can assume that's another signing done.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:12 am

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 am
I'd feel underwhelmed if Hobbs (+Wilson) turns out to be the extent of our business at CB. Injuries to Wheat-Hobbs are going to be pretty inevitable, putting this part of the squad immediately under strain. Would really like to be seeing us adding a younger model.

Which is I'm a bit bamboozled by us going after another striker/AM. I agree with your assessment of Ozzy, Ghost, which is why I can't see 4-4-2 happening. And if it's 4-2-3-1 then you'd have 3 strikers on the bench. I'm all for having options up front but I think we've already added options. It would feel a bit like an embarrassment of riches given the four we'd have in at CB, plus the sheer lack of numbers we'd have back in DM/CM: Lowe (+ Wilson, + maybe a bit-part role for Pritchard) in for Henry, Prats, Derik, Karacan (+ arguably Kirchoff).

Don't get me wrong - we may yet end up bringing in more at CB and DM in addition to another ST or AM, in which case I'd be absolutely delighted.
Centre back far less concerning than centre midfield. We were weak there last season and have lost Karacan, Pratley and Henry from it. Two of those were ever presents virtually (one of those we couldn't win a game without).

Our signings there so far are Lowe and possibly Wilson. That is short in quantity and quality. Our only cover pre-season has be on trial 35 year old O'Neil. Midfield is critical and we're at least 2 short IMHO.

If you think Vela/Oztumer compete for the attacking mid role with Vela able to also play deeper (though has he ever looked the part there). It leaves us with Lowe as the only out and out centre midfield option.

Its a big concern for me. You can get away with things at full back sometimes or out wide. Centre midfield weakness though is exploited ruthlessly in this division.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 am

Midfield is a massive concern for me. We look a lot better going forward, I could see us potentially scoring a good number of goals this season, but with the current players we have in midfield we aren't going to see enough of the ball, and are going to be very vulnerable indeed. We just won't be able to win the ball and compete, and we have very little cover at this moment.

It was a good win at Peterborough. The first goal was well worked, but a closer look shows that their deep lying midfielder made one pass to their attacking midfielder, and totally bypassed our midfield. The attacking midfielder failed to controlled it and we broke impressively, but if he had he was clear to run on and engage Wheavers with options left and right. In our Championship games, teams are going to have a field day with us from those situations. Neither Lowe or Vela are the "sense danger" type of midfielder who can defend against those situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-k3o4Gjjk

On the other hand, if we signed two decent deep lying midfielders, a reserve goalie, plus Anotneee, Hobbs and Magennis, I think we look pretty good. Central defence is still poor, and we would concede too many, but we could score quite a lot also. Down the flanks we would be one of the better teams in the league.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Hobbs confirmed. One year deal.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Can't really argue with Hobbs and Wilson on one year contracts. Not ideal, but experienced players with genuine ability who won't break the bank. Injuries are a concern, but it is what it is.

As to Alf in midfield, no. I love Alf, but he's never going to be the guy who drops into midfield when we are under pressure and does the dirty stuff. I we are set up to have 3 in midfield, even if one is very attacking, we can't afford for it to be Alf on a regular basis.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Josh Magennis

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/j ... wanderers/

Signed, first cash signing in 3 and a half years.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Two decent signings IMO....Magennis will give us something different up front with his pace & energy, he's a big lad & looks a bit of a handful with a good hard working attitude - and with either two of Wildschut, Ameobi or Noone out wide putting balls in the box, he'll score a few as he attacks the ball.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Magennis looks like a better version of Craig Davies who on his very, very rare good day, was unplayable - Let's hope Parky can get a regular tune out of him
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:08 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:47 pm
Magennis looks like a better version of Craig Davies who on his very, very rare good day, was unplayable - Let's hope Parky can get a regular tune out of him
I hope so as I quite liked Craig Davies, they are both of a similar size & build - so if Magennis is better then we could potentially have a decent player here. I know NI are no world beaters but he's got 38 caps so he must have something about him.