Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:52 am
You got me. Throw out the 10 points from 12 formula, drop two members of the back four and throw the kid who barely knows the names of the rest of the guys in the squad into the midfield engine room. We're ready. Nice one.

Do you play Championship/Football Manager much?
I think we'll need to integrate one of Wilson or Grounds into the back four at some stage of the season, if we're to keep on trying to play football from the back as we saw bits of vs Brum. Beevers or Taylor might be able to work, but I'm not sure both can together if we want to retain the ball and work through midfield. The Sheffield game might be a good time to try Grounds out, as Taylor might need a rest after the shift he put in in mid week.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:36 am

OK, so I've done a bit of 'research' into strikers from the Championship not currently getting minimal or no game time. I think over the next week we'll being getting into more stories of links (take all of this with a pinch of salt but it's interesting to see what 'talent' is out there):

Aston Villa: Ross McCormack, Keinan Davies, Scott Hogan
Birmingham: None (We won't get any players from them unless the 900k bid was for The Juke which is doubtful)
Blackburn: None (Again we wouldn't get any from them)
Brentford: None
Bristol City: Matty Taylor (not masses of game time but did score in win at QPR)
Derby: Chris Martin, Mason Bennett, Cameron Jerome
'Ull: Nouha Dicko
Ipswich: Freddie Sears (not sure he'd come North of Watford)
Leeds: Tyler Roberts, Sam Dalby
Boro: Rudy Gestede, Marvin Johnson, Ashley Fletcher
Millwall: Tom Elliott
Norwich: Dennis Srbeny, Nelson Oliviera
Forest: Apostolos Vellios, Zach Clough, Ben Brereton
Preston: Tom Barkhuizen (not sure when a few return from injury how all 6 strikers will all be kept happy)
QPR: Matt Smith
Reading: None (Although would love to have Modou Barrow)
Rotherham: None
Sheff Utd: None
Sheff Wed: Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall, Lucas Joao, Gary Hooper
Stoke: Bojan, Julien Ngoy, Mame Biram Diouf (again Stoke are 'blessed' with loads of attacking players)
Swansea: None
WBA: Jonathan Leko
Pie-eaters: None
Pfffft.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am

Jack Paidwell has signed for Blackburn.
On loan!?
From who? His wife?
How does that work?
What could've happened; did.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 am

mullayo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am
On loan!?
From who? His wife?
How does that work?
Free agent signed on a short term deal.

Going off what he was on, I think we could have signed him for 43 minutes.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:07 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 am
mullayo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am
On loan!?
From who? His wife?
How does that work?
Free agent signed on a short term deal.

Going off what he was on, I think we could have signed him for 43 minutes.
Sure. That makes sense.
I was sure the BBC article said on loan.
It doesn't now.
So I must be crazy.
Supporting Bolton doesn't help my case...
What could've happened; did.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 am

Nixon suggesting a few clubs are sniffing around Vela. I'd guess quite a large percentage of our fans wouldn't be too concerned with Josh leaving at present, but he strikes me as someone who could blossom in another team and come back to haunt us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:54 am

Bolton fans seem to love to have a pop at their own. Been made vice captain this season so unless it’s a big cash offer I don’t see it.

Striker wise I think Cameron Jerome will be a very strong possibility. Would suit the set up here. Some decent players not doing very much going off that list!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 pm

I personally think Vela is an important cog in the team. We miss him when he is not playing. I know he should contribute more by creating or scoring goals but he does a through a lot of the less glamorous side of the game (Tracking back and getting goal-side). I think it would be a mistake if we let him leave unless he wants to go and would be leaving for nothing at the end of he season.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:16 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 pm
I personally think Vela is an important cog in the team. We miss him when he is not playing. I know he should contribute more by creating or scoring goals but he does a through a lot of the less glamorous side of the game (Tracking back and getting goal-side). I think it would be a mistake if we let him leave unless he wants to go and would be leaving for nothing at the end of he season.
Agree with that. Vela makes a real nuisance of himself and I think could develop into a very good player in a different side. If his contract is up shortly and someone's making a big offer then I'd be tempted to sell
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:55 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 pm
I'll obviously listen to opionions on this, but I'd be happier if Vela tried a shot sometimes instead of a pass. One specific incident yesterday had the commentator thinking he had a shot on (not the first time this season) . He passed it sidways and it went all the way back to Ben. Surely even a block could result in a deflection, rebound, second shooting chance or corner? Is P.P doing what Big Sam did with J.J and banning shooting from outside the box? Only Sammi seems to have a lash at goal.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Vela is a premiership athlete but a league one footballer.

What that makes him overall is questionable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Idly wondering if the £900,000 offer was for Gary Madine. Interesting that he was in the stands in midweek.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:10 pm
Idly wondering if the £900,000 offer was for Gary Madine. Interesting that he was in the stands in midweek.
Surely even Ken wouldn't think that Cardiff would accept a £5.1m loss on their investment in 8 months.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:10 pm
Did he have that " I wish I'd never left Bolton" expression on hi face D.S.B ? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Vela might be better if we were more attacking, or if he had better CM's around him ... but I just don't know. He's the one out of Lowe and Murphy and himself that I'd keep but he needs to step up, if that's possible. Maybe the problem is that he's never played in a good midfield that can help to get the best out of him. And Lowe and Murphy certainly won't be doing that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 pm
Vela might be better if we were more attacking, or if he had better CM's around him ... but I just don't know. He's the one out of Lowe and Murphy and himself that I'd keep but he needs to step up, if that's possible. Maybe the problem is that he's never played in a good midfield that can help to get the best out of him. And Lowe and Murphy certainly won't be doing that.
Murphy is a good player who hasn’t had a pre season. Lowe has been superb before Saturday and a major reason why we’ve done so well.

Let’s not start being ridiculous. Vela is a limited footballer. His attribute is non stop running and pressing the ball. That is what he offers. Our problem is we need that running but it causes a sacrifice in quality.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm

He's a good player who we'd all rave about more of he hadn't been arrive since he was 16 and we expect to play for England. Lowe has started well, haven't seen much of Murphy, Oz has talent, but Josh is still in our best team.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 pm
Murphy is a good player who hasn’t had a pre season. Lowe has been superb before Saturday and a major reason why we’ve done so well.

Let’s not start being ridiculous. Vela is a limited footballer. His attribute is non stop running and pressing the ball. That is what he offers. Our problem is we need that running but it causes a sacrifice in quality.
Murphy looks far beyond the standards required, and he's had a few games to get up to speed. He looked genuinely petrified yesterday, and perhaps it's telling that he's spent the last 2 seasons at a struggling side. If he improves, so be it. But it's not looking promising from him.

Goals from midfield are useful, but you look at these 3 and can't see any.

However, we've had a good start to the season so it's hard to be too critical.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 pm

I can't help but feel that, in the 4-2-3-1 formation that I think we can all agree is the one we're best suited for, at this moment in time Lowe and Vela are our best options in the "2" in front of the defence. Lowe as the calming influence, Vela for the legs and for being generally destructive. The hope is that Oztumer can become the other CM, playing off the target man.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 am

Not sure how anyone would see losing Vela as a good thing, given how much we need his energy in midfield. He's not the most talented midfielder ever, but he's a better footballer than Pratley and he does that job better. We've nobody else in the squad who can do it.