Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 pm

Yep. No deal for Ched according to Iles. Mark Little was the one that might have gone out on loan. Looks like that didn't happen either.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Haha yup
Chedwyns champ record is shite anyway, plus he’s had time out of the game. Was he seriously the answer? I’d like to see Hall given a go - he’s ours, he might be of use in League One next season.

What’s the record low goals at this level? Cos we could smash it!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:50 pm

No real surprise. Let's face it, we're hardly a target club for anybody right now. Skint, relying on loans and free transfers and with a reputation for unpaid wages and court actions ever hovering around us like doom angels, not won a game in 18 and can we really expect any favours from fellow scrappers? Second verse, same as the first...On with it... :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 am

Ins and Outs anyone? I avoided this window for my own sanity.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 am

Ins: Some geezer Wigan have had on loan and couldn’t get in there team. Helpfully he is a right back, a position we were in dire need of strengthening.
Outs: all hope! 😂oh and Doidge, who was never in in the first place, apparently. And I think there will be a Ken Jong statement soon to tell us all about it!

Good news - we kept Connell. Now sort his deal out, even if to just get us some more dosh in the summer!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 am

It's really shit and sad. This season has been handled so badly

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 am
Ins: Some geezer Wigan have had on loan and couldn’t get in there team. Helpfully he is a right back, a position we were in dire need of strengthening.
Connolly can also play in central midfield, where we have plenty bodies but not many of them consistently good enough. But I'll be slightly surprised if he makes more than four starts.

On Evans - I'll be honest, my gut feeling on hearing it'd fallen through was disappointment (no new striker), fear (so no goals then), but very quickly relief. I know he was found not guilty eventually but it was a shitshow of a case and I'm not sure I'd have been at all comfortable with him. I know we've had some wrong'uns playing for us but there's something about that case that would have sat very uneasily with me wanting him to do well.

But this is where we're at now.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm

I wanted Evans precisely because he's a player other fans hate. We need that kind of striker right now. A geezer with a chip on his shoulder, who has something to prove, who shuts the opposition fans up. We need the bit between our teeth.

We had that a bit last year when Madine scored at Brammall Lane, for example, or when ALF scored against Fulham at home and you could see how pissed off he was that he wasn't playing more. We don't have anything like that now. Donaldson is like a Mr Nice Guy (as well as being shit), while Magennis also looks like a Mr Nice Guy (as well as being shit). And nice guys finish last

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:23 pm

I've really no issue with Magennis. He works hard, wins way more than his fair share of aerial battles and generally works the opposition defence far more than anyone else.

I'd like his chances to goals ratio to be higher but given we create next to nowt anyway I don't hold him too responsible
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Realised I've spent the last six months thinking Donaldson was Ched Evans' partner in (not, it turns out, proven) crime.

That was Clayton McDonald, apparently.

I owe the donkey an e-apology.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:24 pm

I feel Evans wouldn't have been good enough. We don't focus on creating chances rather we focus on stopping the opposition, and so we create very few, and so we destroy the confidence of strikers, so far better strikers than him wouldn't have worked out.

I am more concerned with how we get through the month (never mind season) financially. We lose (to quote Ken last season, when he didn't appear to be lying) "£5m-£6m" per season. That is before transfers. What occurred and was reported last season backed up that assertion. Nothing appears to have changed much since then from a budget perspective, and we don't appear to have covered that loss in any other way, so either Ken is putting that much in, or he is really close to selling the club or securing investment, or we are headed very soon for admin.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:31 pm
Realised I've spent the last six months thinking Donaldson was Ched Evans' partner in (not, it turns out, proven) crime.

That was Clayton McDonald, apparently.

I owe the donkey an e-apology.
Isn’t Donaldo like some kind of born again Christian type? Harsh!

I was same as DDB in a way - hoping we would sign Chedwyn, saw something that said Maggeniss had scored in 1 of his last 25 games, and the don in 1 of his last 35. As attacks go we are as toothless as they come. Now I’m a lot more relaxed - would a guy with such limited championship experience at 30 actually make a real difference? Doubt it. As I said I’d rather Hall got some game time - we might find league one his level for next season.

And you know what’s nailed on now - Don or Maggenis getting injured or suspended.

See Kenny has released his notes blaming everyone else. Don’t care. No point us stretching ourselves more this season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the new loaner start every game like Williams - who must be on some sort of ‘pay less as the play’ type arrangement. Best not be instead of Connell.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Anyone think we could take a punt on former Wanderer, Joe Mason? Been released from Wolves
Pfffft.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm
Anyone think we could take a punt on former Wanderer, Joe Mason? Been released from Wolves
He's probably not big enough for Parky but I'd like us to get him. I think he could thrive in division 3 under a different manager
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:35 pm

I'd take him but he's pretty much the same striker as ALF, which means Parky wouldn't fancy him.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:07 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm
V. Surprised.

One of Bolton's few hat trick heroes.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Jugs wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:35 pm
I'd take him but he's pretty much the same striker as ALF, which means Parky wouldn't fancy him.
I'm going to run the stats on "Jugs" and "ALF" in May. I reckon it's gonna be over 300 posts.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:36 pm

Forgive a little pessimism, but were we ever really going to land anybody other than the Everton loanee in this window? Last minute cliff-hanging is always a dodgy game and, if we really had the intent, surely we could have avoided the stress and disappointment.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Fleetwood feck* Town and Joey convict Barton laying in on Twitter...over a forward who has spent time in the nick (and has managed to shed enough doubt since to be allowed back on the pitch). That it’s come to this is undoubtedly a low point...I couldn’t believe how small time they actually were when they pitched up with about 300 supporters at our place a couple of years ago.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 pm
Jugs wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm going to run the stats on "Jugs" and "ALF" in May. I reckon it's gonna be over 300 posts.
LOL probably about right.