University of Bolton stadium

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: University of Bolton stadium

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Leeds Met kept Headingley going in the days before t20. Anyone who thinks they weren’t the highest bidder in town has had their head under a rock in the Ken Anderson era.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:32 pm
The University of Bolton Stadium. Horwich. Brilliant. :|
Horwich is in Bolton...what is your point?
Oh, get off your high horse Insaney. You sound like somebody on the B.E.N Comments section of self righteousness. It's in the Metropoliton Borough of Bolton and is post-coded B L6, but is located on the Middlebrook Retail Park, Horwich, opposite Horwich Parkway rail station, which you well know, not in the town of Bolton some five and a half/six miles away. I didn't have a point as such, just a view. I made a comment which last time I looked was allowed.

For what ist's worth I think The University of Bolton Stadium, is a pretty sad name for a football arena. I'm sure nobody cares about that either.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Oh, get off your high horse Insaney. You sound like somebody on the B.E.N Comments section of self righteousness. It's in the Metropoliton Borough of Bolton and is post-coded B L6, but is located on the Middlebrook Retail Park, Horwich, opposite Horwich Parkway rail station, which you well know, not in the town of Bolton some five and a half/six miles away. I didn't have a point as such, just a view. I made a comment which last time I looked was allowed.

For what ist's worth I think The University of Bolton Stadium, is a pretty sad name for a football arena. I'm sure nobody cares about that either.
Horwich is in Bolton. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise. It’s like saying Harwood isn’t in Bolton.

Bolton is not just the town centre is it?

The weird argument that the stadium is in Horwich not Bolton is weird.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Whoa. Stand down, Tango. I think Insane wasn't the one on a high horse...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:03 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Insaney's horse has very long legs indeed. It can clear Beecher's Brook with eight feet to spare. :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Insaney's horse has very long legs indeed. It can clear Beecher's Brook with eight feet to spare. :lol:
I was pointing out facts.

The facts are...

Horwich is in Bolton.

The stadium is in Bolton.

What you happen to regard as Bolton is up to you, but not very helpful. If Bolton is merely the town centre then probably none of us here live in Bolton by your definition.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:28 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Be glad to discuss that with you on the Banter section, but not here.

I was pointing out facts.

The facts are...

Horwich is in Bolton.

The stadium is in Bolton.

What you happen to regard as Bolton is up to you, but not very helpful. If Bolton is merely the town centre then probably none of us here live in Bolton by your definition.
Be glad to discuss that with you on the Banter section, but not here.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 pm

I also quite like the idea of the University of Bolton stadium. I don't envy the poor mug who has to rearrange all the white seats, though.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:15 am

I don't like it. The stadium name is usually used as a substitute for saying the word "Bolton" again and again. Now it doesn't work.

Will get inevitably get shortened to "The Uni" to make it more catchy like the Macron, Reebok or Burnden. Will the sponsor be pleased at that?

Had a similar problem in Wellington NZ with the stadium there. It looked a bit like a caketin so people called it the Caketin instead of The Westpac Trust Stadiium. You don't want a mouthful like that. Westpac should have dropped the "The" and "Trust" bit and been realistic. In the end they got nothing out of it.
What could've happened; did.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 am

Purely as a matter of interest BWFC_Insane, I used to live in Harwood. In those days our mailing address was the street address followed by "Harwood, nr Bolton, Lancs". Presumably the 'nr Bolton' bit was to clarify its geographic location relative to any other Harwoods in the country as there was no such thing as a post-code then.

Back to the subject at hand: I cannot comment on the arrangement between the university and the club as I have no information as to the contract that has been signed. When it comes to what the general populace will call it that's interesting. I can imagine an eighteen year old lad telling his parents that on Tuesday he won't be home for the evening meal as he has an assignment at 'the uni'.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:02 am

I see the 26 Jan will be Reading week.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 am

Dujon wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 am
Purely as a matter of interest BWFC_Insane, I used to live in Harwood. In those days our mailing address was the street address followed by "Harwood, nr Bolton, Lancs". Presumably the 'nr Bolton' bit was to clarify its geographic location relative to any other Harwoods in the country as there was no such thing as a post-code then.

Back to the subject at hand: I cannot comment on the arrangement between the university and the club as I have no information as to the contract that has been signed. When it comes to what the general populace will call it that's interesting. I can imagine an eighteen year old lad telling his parents that on Tuesday he won't be home for the evening meal as he has an assignment at 'the uni'.

I think the "nr Bolton" is to show it's geographocal location relative to other Harwoods but also to signify that it's technically outside of Bolton.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:30 am

I've slept on in & I think that the name is even worse than I thought yesterday its awful....it makes the club appear very small time & desperate IMO

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 am
Dujon wrote:

I think the "nr Bolton" is to show it's geographocal location relative to other Harwoods but also to signify that it's technically outside of Bolton.
It is technically INSIDE Bolton. FFS.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:36 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:30 am
I've slept on in & I think that the name is even worse than I thought yesterday its awful....it makes the club appear very small time & desperate IMO
It is a name. Who cares? Its a solid local partnership, presumably the best financial deal we could get. If you are selling the stadium naming rights then I'm afraid most names would look small time and silly. However, we aren't in a position to turn down the potential revenue are we?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Dujon wrote:

Inside the borough, not the town.

I actually thought this was the point you were making, that Horwich and Harwood aren't a part of Bolton the town but were a part of the borough of Bolton and that that doesn't really matter. Which it doesn't.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Dujon wrote:

Inside the borough, not the town.

I actually thought this was the point you were making, that Horwich and Harwood aren't a part of Bolton the town but were a part of the borough of Bolton and that that doesn't really matter. Which it doesn't.

There is no defined boundary for ‘Bolton Town’ is there though? Not anymore.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:57 am
My tuppence worth on This,

It is and always will be the 'bok

Why are we aiming so high naming the stadium after a failed institution?
In what regard are they failing? They are cash rich and make a surplus each year.
Very 'Tory' of you matey :lol:

For an education establishment to constantly land near the bottom of the Uni tables is failing or is the new leftie policy it don't matter they make money?

I'd much rather they failed by better education instead of producing more momentum members.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:35 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:57 am
My tuppence worth on This,

It is and always will be the 'bok

Why are we aiming so high naming the stadium after a failed institution?
In what regard are they failing? They are cash rich and make a surplus each year.
Very 'Tory' of you matey :lol:

For an education establishment to constantly land near the bottom of the Uni tables is failing or is the new leftie policy it don't matter they make money?

I'd much rather they failed by better education instead of producing more momentum members.
I feat this is the wrong place for this...but briefly.

It depends what league table you look at and how you interpret the results. Most league tables aggregate scores across all aspects of the University, including teaching quality, research quality, along with a whole load of other measures and aggregate up. Of course new institutions like Bolton will be low down on those tables. Its like comparing Manchester United with say, Rochdale.

But individual subject teaching profiles Bolton does better in. For teaching outright they are ranked silver so middleish in the pack.

But anyhow, I'm not sure that matters much. They are a Bolton institution supporting another Bolton business and seem to have the means to do it. Not sure what the issue is with that? As a Bolton fan I'm less worried about Uni league tables than I am their ability to pay the club some money for the rights. Surely?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 am

Aye, and it's not like the team is top tier.

All commercial stadium names sound shit. You really think it sounds less tin-pot than the Vitality Stadium or Bet 365 Arena or what have you?!

It's a local institution supporting a local club, and as others have said you haven't been paying attention if you don't think they offered the most money.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.