Pity Poor Alfie, A Man Out Of Time

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pity Poor Alfie, A Man Out Of Time

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:23 pm
Wheater is pretty popular as well with that ‘could go for a pint with him’ quality.

But yeah spot on piece really. I have no issue with him going, especially if he gets that first team spot he wants. Cant argue with that at all.

Find it odd we have let him go at this point in the window - but a couple of loan signings possible. Find it even odder he’s gone for a free - can’t imagine his wage that is now free was massive, and Australian teams do apparantley pay transfer fees. So why not one now?
Cos he’s not worth anything. He wanted to go so I assume there was a mutual agreement to rip up his contract which probably is a big saving compared to any small fee they’d be able to pay. And asking them to pay a fee might have scuppered the deal. From what I know these Australian clubs don’t mess around. They move on quickly if players don’t agree deals quickly. They are just going through lists of names.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Alf was very well paid by the football club. Significantly more than what is rumoured to be the current wage cap.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm

"that 2.45pm, fourth-pint atmosphere"

Not if you're at a game with that Enoch fella. Fourth pint usually comes at around noon. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:51 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Not if you're at a game with that Enoch fella. Fourth pint usually comes at around noon. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
I expected you to explain the title. 82...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:51 am
TonyDomingos wrote:

The Jam, obvs! Are you going for an 80s theme this season?

But, best title of the week is Bruce's thread for the Leeds game. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:03 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:51 am
TonyDomingos wrote:

The Jam, obvs! Are you going for an 80s theme this season?

But, best title of the week is Bruce's thread for the Leeds game. :D
Half right... and yes, I liked Bruce's Irvine nod :D

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm

You drink yourself insensitive, Elvis?

Not that I've ever noticed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm
You drink yourself insensitive, Elvis?

Not that I've ever noticed.
Very good. Pity Poor Alfie, Jam B-side, September 1982; Man Out Of Time, Elvis Costello single, July 1982.

Bolton reacted badly to Pity Poor Alfie. When it was released on Sep 6, they were seventh in Division Two under new player-manager John McGovern; by the end of the month they were in the drop zone and finished the season bottom.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

That Domingos casting aspersions!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Curious omission of Le Fondre from here:

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/august ... eading-fc/

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Mar wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:38 pm
Curious omission of Le Fondre from here:

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/august ... eading-fc/
And a strange inclusion here, considering he's left

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/teams/first-team ... le-fondre/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Striker spot at the University of Life, Bolton Branch. seems a bit of a hoodoo. We just got Madine into a "name on the sheet " spot doing well, then sold him.then first sub Wilbraham is shown the door. and then....Clayton Donaldson signs on for a year and Josh Magennis for two, Connor Hall gets promoted and Alf heads for the exit, and all the club talk about is getting one, maybe two strikers in. With talk of low money it can't be too tempting a proposition to a striker of quality, surely? All a bit like a carousel, a quick ride around the mulberry bush then off you go.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Must be bloody difficult to find the right player at this stage, though. There are lads like Sam Gallagher who have played in this league and have the right attributes, but aren't proven scorers - and even he is probably out of our league financially, even with Alfie gone. I can think of maybe a dozen players who might come here and would fit the bill, but I don't think we can realistically afford any of them.

In the past (with the hoodoo thing) we've taken gambles and they've mostly failed. The one that worked out well we then made bank on. Parky says he doesn't want to gamble this time and wants proven quality, which might end the hoodoo, but then how do we pay for it? Then you have the issue of signing that kind of player on the understanding he'll play most games and potentially having to say to Magennis, "Sorry, lad. You've started brilliantly, but we've got this guy in on the agreement he plays." If we don't promise a proven player game time, he's unlikely to want to come here. Even if we took an "up-and-comer" from a Prem side they'll want him to play regularly for his development.

Bit of a bugger, really.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 pm
Must be bloody difficult to find the right player at this stage, though. There are lads like Sam Gallagher who have played in this league and have the right attributes, but aren't proven scorers - and even he is probably out of our league financially, even with Alfie gone. I can think of maybe a dozen players who might come here and would fit the bill, but I don't think we can realistically afford any of them.

In the past (with the hoodoo thing) we've taken gambles and they've mostly failed. The one that worked out well we then made bank on. Parky says he doesn't want to gamble this time and wants proven quality, which might end the hoodoo, but then how do we pay for it? Then you have the issue of signing that kind of player on the understanding he'll play most games and potentially having to say to Magennis, "Sorry, lad. You've started brilliantly, but we've got this guy in on the agreement he plays." If we don't promise a proven player game time, he's unlikely to want to come here. Even if we took an "up-and-comer" from a Prem side they'll want him to play regularly for his development.

Bit of a bugger, really.
That's sort of where I was going in a round about way. How must Magennis, Donaldson and Hall feel right now with all the striker talk? Okay, we need back up as much there as anywhere, but picking a side seems a bit of a lucky (unlucky) dip, with somebody sure to be less than happy. New arrivals are as likely to complicate things more than solve them, so it would seem?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 pm
That's sort of where I was going in a round about way. How must Magennis, Donaldson and Hall feel right now with all the striker talk? Okay, we need back up as much there as anywhere, but picking a side seems a bit of a lucky (unlucky) dip, with somebody sure to be less than happy. New arrivals are as likely to complicate things more than solve them, so it would seem?
That's always an issue for players though, isn't it? You always want better players to sign, because you're more likely to do well; you just don't want them signed for your position.

From the manager's position he'll look and see himself being one injury away from a crisis.

At least if we sign another lad then he'll have (you'd hope) a genuine chance of starting if he does well in training - which Alf wouldn't have.

I agree that it's a minefield, but it's the only route to take.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Lovely message from ALF to the fans on Insta (as I believe they call it)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmkwdjOA8iu ... faw05txcdw
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm
Lovely message from ALF to the fans on Insta (as I believe they call it)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmkwdjOA8iu ... faw05txcdw

I know the GCSE results aren't out until next Thursday, but I reckon ALF 's going to fail English grammar. Just sayin'.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!