Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 pm
As Leeds drew tonight, a win would put us joint top.
Take it as read.
We're pissing it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 pm
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... birmingham

Highlights for UK viewers.

Check out the save from Alnwick! Even better than it first looked
Cheers DJB and thanks for the link. Fantastic save and yes, looked better on that link.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Never deserved it but who cares? Had 0-0 written all over it till Ameobi came on.

How bad was Wildschut? Terrible. Buckley made a difference given he made good runs and didn’t trip over his own feet.

Oztumer and Wildschut look like impact players to me. Based on tonight neither did enoug( to warrant starting.

Olkowski is the best full back we’ve had since Big Sam days. An absolutely unbelievable find.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 pm
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... birmingham

Highlights for UK viewers.

Check out the save from Alnwick! Even better than it first looked.
Seems as though Sky thi nk the Hebrides are outside of the UK :doh:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 pm
Goal has been award to Magennis, who now has 3 in 4 games.
That's what I had thought. He got the last touch..however faint it may have been from Buckley's effort. From what I saw however, we need another big No. 9 to give Josh some competition. Did very well defensively against corners, but was well marshaled by the central defenders when the ball went towards him up front, though I must say he was feeding of scraps.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:09 am

I agree with the main points already made. Birmingham better for 70 minutes, then Ameobi and Buckley added freshness and quality and turned the game in our favour. Olkowski, Alnwick, Wheater, O'Neil had good games. Ozzy, Wildchut, and Beevers, at least with the ball at his feet, not so good. A really fantastic three points and a really enjoyable game in the end.

I think Wheater has improved loads since last season. Looks noticeably fitter, quicker, sharper. At one point in the first half he even carried the ball into the opposition half, laid it off and went into the box and joined the attack, which leads me to:

We tried to pass it around on the floor a lot more today. It looked good at times, usually until the ball went to Beevers who lumped it long. It also didn't look like us and didn't look like we had any strategy in where it would lead. We never really looked like we were trying to move Birmingham around to find spaces for Ozzy for example. I would like us to have this kind of style in our locker, but it needs a lot of work.

Birmingham were very solid as usual, but if they can't fashion clear cut chances in a game like this where they were the better side for 70 minutes, they are going to really struggle.

I was really pleased Ozzy didn't come off after 60 minutes when he thought he was being substituted. The fact that he thought that is perhaps a telling reflection on how he had played until then. He looked either overawed, or that the game was too fast for him and he didn't know to get involved. Fortunately after that he had a number of good touches, and got a nice ovation when he did go off near the end. Hopefully that will give him confidence. It looks like this is a big step up for him, and he will need a bit of time to make that step.

It is nice to reflect that despite being 2nd best for much of the game, we had the quality on the bench to change the game. Ameobi looked above this level in his 30 minute cameo.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am

How weird was it watching via the red button too? Slightly jerky computer-graphics feel to the picture quality, no replays and clearly a commentator sat on his own in a Sky studio having to speak for 90 mins from a crib-sheet!!!

Still, excellent result, and I can't believe the negativity on here even after the start we've had.

My takes from the game:
- Pawel is a class act. How the hell did we sign him? Best full back I've seen playing for us for years. He'll probably move on if he keeps playing like this, but we'll have made a healthy profit on him...
- Ameobi another class act - the ball looked like it was stuck to his feet as he was dancing down the line in the 2nd half. Absolute game-changer, and he was clearly desperate to score with a few long shots too
- Back 4 (or 5 with keeper) excellent all night. It was an onslaught at times from Brum but they ride it out well and they didn't have too many clear cut chances
- I like the look of Oz and Wildshut, but we just couldn't get them in the game last night. Wildshut's pace will scare the life out of some defences, and if we can get Oz on the ball more he will be dangerous - the pass for Buckley was sublime, as was some of his control
- O'Neill - immense in the 2nd half. Swept up everythign and added a bit of steel to a tiring midfield
- Magennis - not his day, but can't fault the effort he put in. As a target man he's twice the player Madine was in my opinion, and with the right attitude;
- Donaldson - great option from the bench - looks a handful and will be able to hold the ball up to close games out
- despite the vitriol against him, KA deserves credit for the quality and variety of signings we've brought in. We actually look like a team now and not just a collection of waifs and strays;
- PP deserves huge credit for having the balls to swap and change as required and also for ensuring the squad has gelled so quickly to play like a team, particularly with all the off-field problems;

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am
How weird was it watching via the red button too? Slightly jerky computer-graphics feel to the picture quality, no replays and clearly a commentator sat on his own in a Sky studio having to speak for 90 mins from a crib-sheet!!!

Still, excellent result, and I can't believe the negativity on here even after the start we've had.

My takes from the game:
- Pawel is a class act. How the hell did we sign him? Best full back I've seen playing for us for years. He'll probably move on if he keeps playing like this, but we'll have made a healthy profit on him...
- Ameobi another class act - the ball looked like it was stuck to his feet as he was dancing down the line in the 2nd half. Absolute game-changer, and he was clearly desperate to score with a few long shots too
- Back 4 (or 5 with keeper) excellent all night. It was an onslaught at times from Brum but they ride it out well and they didn't have too many clear cut chances
- I like the look of Oz and Wildshut, but we just couldn't get them in the game last night. Wildshut's pace will scare the life out of some defences, and if we can get Oz on the ball more he will be dangerous - the pass for Buckley was sublime, as was some of his control
- O'Neill - immense in the 2nd half. Swept up everythign and added a bit of steel to a tiring midfield
- Magennis - not his day, but can't fault the effort he put in. As a target man he's twice the player Madine was in my opinion, and with the right attitude;
- Donaldson - great option from the bench - looks a handful and will be able to hold the ball up to close games out
- despite the vitriol against him, KA deserves credit for the quality and variety of signings we've brought in. We actually look like a team now and not just a collection of waifs and strays;
- PP deserves huge credit for having the balls to swap and change as required and also for ensuring the squad has gelled so quickly to play like a team, particularly with all the off-field problems;

I suspect that we might get more value from Wildschut by playing passes for him to run onto rather than directly into his feet.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:21 am

Wildschut's main threat is running in behind for flick-ons and through balls. If we want him to dribble with it he's going to need more options offered, because thus far he's tended to run down blind alleys.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am

Also, interesting to hear most fans I've spoken to rave about Olkowski when the BN have chosen to give him the joint lowest rating in the side. Hoping to get to watch the match tonight.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:09 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am
Also, interesting to hear most fans I've spoken to rave about Olkowski when the BN have chosen to give him the joint lowest rating in the side. Hoping to get to watch the match tonight.
He gave the ball away a few times. I'm still not seeing what everyone else is raving mad about. He looks solid. Premier league class? Not sure about that yet

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:10 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
:lol:

Think we've genuinely got the best right-side in the league.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Also, interesting to hear most fans I've spoken to rave about Olkowski when the BN have chosen to give him the joint lowest rating in the side.
Along with Alnwick, who produced one of the most incredible saves in mid air from a deflected shot I think I've ever seen, and who then went on to be absolutely solid. Which 4ucknugget is it who scores these things?
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:05 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Also, interesting to hear most fans I've spoken to rave about Olkowski when the BN have chosen to give him the joint lowest rating in the side.
Along with Alnwick, who produced one of the most incredible saves in mid air from a deflected shot I think I've ever seen, and who then went on to be absolutely solid. Which 4ucknugget is it who scores these things?
Marc Iles is on holiday and I think the randomise computer was used.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Olkowski and Alnwick would be tied for our man of the match last night. Along with O’Neil who was outstanding after a shaky first 15.

Olkowski would get in most bottom half premiership teams. He’s superb.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:09 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
He gave the ball away a few times. I'm still not seeing what everyone else is raving mad about. He looks solid. Premier league class? Not sure about that yet
He's calm in possession, he always seems to win his tackles, he's good positionally. It's telling that Brum didn't get a single opportunity down our right hand side. He stands up, doesn't dive in, doesn't back out.

Ameobi and Olkowski down the right flank is going to be a combination a lot of teams fear in this league.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:10 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
:lol:

Think we've genuinely got the best right-side in the league.
Particularly when we have Noone and Little in reserve!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Parky is showing that he can build a squad that makes sense. Right is certainly the strongest flank, though. True of a lot of sides, that...unsurprising given only about 1 in 10 are left footers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:25 pm
Parky is showing that he can build a squad that makes sense. Right is certainly the strongest flank, though. True of a lot of sides, that...unsurprising given only about 1 in 10 are left footers.
In fairness Andrew Taylor has done nothing wrong at all. Showing all those who wrote him off to be fools!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Mmmm Taylor wasn’t exactly comfortable last night at time against Jota. However the guy cost £6 million quid! Question is, whether there is anyone out there in budget better than Taylor and Grounds...possibly not yet! You would back Parky to find them if there was.