Suffolk hating or breathing sighs of relief..Versus Ipswich away 22-9-2018.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Suffolk hating or breathing sighs of relief..Versus Ipswich away 22-9-2018.

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm

You may well be content with that rubbish after yesterday but truth be told we're a side that while having certain capabilities, possess not enough belief / determination and all this while bringing in a new manager that is clearly struggling to adapt to a higher league than from where he came.

I thought after the sending off we could take advantage and go on to find victory but then realised what team I supported. No League wins in nine for us, it's embarrassing of course but the season is still young and with a few wins can propel you to a mid table challenge. We're not going to get a promotion, I accept that without any ambiguity, there's so much work that needs to be done here until we can properly entertain any thought of being a premier league side once again and the root of all problems is the owner Marcus Evans himself. An absolute strain on a once proud club, I can't wait for his departure, he has set us back so much in the last 10 years you'd have to had regularly follow events to properly make sense of it all.

Still, no wins for you here for some considerable time. Many of our fanbase expected a draw before the game, I was fool enough to believe we could take a victory from it. I suppose experience teaches you to be philosophical.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:05 am

OrtonCakeBingoBongo wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm
You may well be content with that rubbish after yesterday but truth be told we're a side that while having certain capabilities, possess not enough belief / determination and all this while bringing in a new manager that is clearly struggling to adapt to a higher league than from where he came.
Oh, we're not at all content with our lot right now Bingo-Bongo old buddy, and we have a bit of history of top class stuff ourselves. (you've been around this site long enough not to be a stranger) We're going through a bad time as a club and it's going to be a tough season to get through. What we have is a hope and belief that we can start back to being what we were not all that long ago before debt and bad organisation ripped the club apart. As for yesterday, we were the away side playing most of the game with ten men, so yes, we were content enough not to lose and take a point in the bargain. Both clubs are historically far too good to descend to lower leagues, so let's hope both our fortunes change soon.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 am

I was in the Cobbold Stand on Saturday, along with another 400 or so diehards.

To the neutral, this would've been one of the least exciting games in history. Very few attempts on goal, very little good football. As a BWFC fan though it was quite exciting. Once Wilson got sent off, given the tiredness that must have been in the group, it looked a certain defeat. The only thing that gave me hope were that Ipswich are completely devoid of any Championship level quality, so if there was a game we could get something out of playing an hour with ten men, this might be it. And so it proved, a very creditable defensive performance that got us a point, with Alnwick only making one serious save.

For the first 30 minutes of the second half we couldn't get out of our own half, and from about 60 minutes onwards, it seemed ridiculous on Parky's part not to freshen it up from the bench. After about 75 minutes or so I glanced behind me and one of our supporters was making frenzied rotation motions with his hands signalling substitute. Or rather "FFS Parky change something we are in trouble here". The changes never came however, and it was interesting to hear after the game Parky talk about Noone's and Buckley's physical stats. That was clearly the reason he didn't bring on Wildschut or Donaldson, whose pace I felt could've even give us a chance to even win the game, such was Ipswich's inability to turn their possession into chances. Anyway very happy with a point in the end.

OCBB - I won't go into our current woes with our ownership and financial situation, but hasn't Marcus Evans has invested £100m in his ten years of ownership? Surely given FFP restrictions, and from a sustainability perspective, that is a good, responsible way to invest?

Also, I am very interested in the way Paul Hurst has approached the Ipswich job. It seems from afar, he has completely underestimated the Championship? It seems he has used the same philosophy as he has at his previous clubs, namely buying (spending £6m or so in this case) hungry players from a league or two below and focused on getting them fit and organized. The jump in quality from L1 or L2 to the Championship is surely too big for that though, particularly when it is seven or eight players making that jump together?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:05 am
OrtonCakeBingoBongo wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm
Oh, we're not at all content with our lot right now Bingo-Bongo old buddy, and we have a bit of history of top class stuff ourselves. (you've been around this site long enough not to be a stranger) We're going through a bad time as a club and it's going to be a tough season to get through. What we have is a hope and belief that we can start back to being what we were not all that long ago before debt and bad organisation ripped the club apart. As for yesterday, we were the away side playing most of the game with ten men, so yes, we were content enough not to lose and take a point in the bargain. Both clubs are historically far too good to descend to lower leagues, so let's hope both our fortunes change soon.
A bad time as a club off the field sure. But on the field I'd not describe it as bad. Mediocre in terms of our overall history. Middling, Average, ok. And the end of the past two seasons will be right up there in terms of memories to take with us. So it probably bumps it above some of the past 2nd division/3rd division periods. Some.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 am
I was in the Cobbold Stand on Saturday, along with another 400 or so diehards.

To the neutral, this would've been one of the least exciting games in history. Very few attempts on goal, very little good football. As a BWFC fan though it was quite exciting. Once Wilson got sent off, given the tiredness that must have been in the group, it looked a certain defeat. The only thing that gave me hope were that Ipswich are completely devoid of any Championship level quality, so if there was a game we could get something out of playing an hour with ten men, this might be it. And so it proved, a very creditable defensive performance that got us a point, with Alnwick only making one serious save.

For the first 30 minutes of the second half we couldn't get out of our own half, and from about 60 minutes onwards, it seemed ridiculous on Parky's part not to freshen it up from the bench. After about 75 minutes or so I glanced behind me and one of our supporters was making frenzied rotation motions with his hands signalling substitute. Or rather "FFS Parky change something we are in trouble here". The changes never came however, and it was interesting to hear after the game Parky talk about Noone's and Buckley's physical stats. That was clearly the reason he didn't bring on Wildschut or Donaldson, whose pace I felt could've even give us a chance to even win the game, such was Ipswich's inability to turn their possession into chances. Anyway very happy with a point in the end.

OCBB - I won't go into our current woes with our ownership and financial situation, but hasn't Marcus Evans has invested £100m in his ten years of ownership? Surely given FFP restrictions, and from a sustainability perspective, that is a good, responsible way to invest?

Also, I am very interested in the way Paul Hurst has approached the Ipswich job. It seems from afar, he has completely underestimated the Championship? It seems he has used the same philosophy as he has at his previous clubs, namely buying (spending £6m or so in this case) hungry players from a league or two below and focused on getting them fit and organized. The jump in quality from L1 or L2 to the Championship is surely too big for that though, particularly when it is seven or eight players making that jump together?
Was it fxck exciting. It was amongst the most boring games I've ever ever ever ever had the misfortune to attend. And I was there with a long lost friend who I hadn't seen in decades. We were both bored to tears. It was despondent, tedious, jaw droppingly boring, amateurish shite. I've seen Matlock v Alfreton half time fan stampedes for pies with more interest.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 am
The jump in quality from L1 or L2 to the Championship is surely too big for that though, particularly when it is seven or eight players making that jump together?

I've posted previously on here that I think the gulf in quality between the second and third tier is greater than it is between any other two leagues in the football pyramid.