Hail the conquering heroes come.......Bolton V Hull, 3-0'clock Sat 27th Oct.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Hail the conquering heroes come.......Bolton V Hull, 3-0'clock Sat 27th Oct.

Post by Jugs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:35 pm

I said we'd lose today, but do you know what? As mental as this might sound now - I think we might beat Villa and pick up.

If we don't, I think a defeat there coupled with a defeat v Swansea and Ken might decide it's time for a change.

We were better today going forward but once again shot ourselves in the foot with an early goal.

Still lacking firepower, still missing someone of ALF's quality upfront, but I personally wouldn't pull the trigger just yet ...

P.S I really miss both Madine and ALF.
Last edited by Jugs on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hail the conquering heroes come.......Bolton V Hull, 3-0'clock Sat 27th Oct.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm

The chap on GMR said "Yeah but if you brought Pep Guardiola in he'd still want £100m for new players". The way I see it, I'm afraid, is that if you gave Parky 12 of the current Man City squad we still wouldn't be any better as he'd still try to squeeze them into his system, rather than it being a case of him having the nous to bring the best out of them collectively.

I'd love to see Parky turn it round - few things would, even could, give me greater delight, but I see no indication whatsoever that he's able to do that.

Couple that with the fact that Kenny has a club to sell, and right now the value of his asset's shrinking.

Get yer sheepskin dry cleaned, Pip.
May the bridges I burn light your way

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:55 pm
enrdentw wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:51 pm
‪Personally, for what he’s done in the past, we owe him the next two games. If they yield no points he has to go. He’s been notoriously streaky in the past. We owe him that little bit of extra time. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised or disappointed if he goes. ‬
To be honest we don't owe him anything....
We all know what he's done for the club. To say the bloke doesn't deserve 2 extra games to try and save his job is ridiculous.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 pm

All this about being better today, it fcuking should have been better - we played Hull who where in the bottom 3, who had loads of injuries and had lost their previous 5 away games

Anyone who thinks that we will get anything out of the Villa & Swansea games under Parkinson is as deluded as Parkinson himself is....why do some people accept such mediocrity

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 pm
All this about being better today, it fcuking should have been better - we played Hull who where in the bottom 3, who had loads of injuries and had lost their previous 5 away games

Anyone who thinks that we will get anything out of the Villa & Swansea games under Parkinson is as deluded as Parkinson himself is....why do some people accept such mediocrity
To be fair, that's a pretty good point lol

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

Not disagreeing that today's result was unacceptable. Let's see what reaction and result we get from Villa and Swansea.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

Calm down Peter you're going to masturbate yourself into oblivion. He's going to get the heave hoe eventually, then you can come on here and say how it should have been done months ago etc.

Who thinks Mick Mccarthy will want the job. Who in their right mind would want it? We'll probably see Jimmy Phillips promoted again and who knows maybe until the season ends

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:45 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

Not disagreeing that today's result was unacceptable. Let's see what reaction and result we get from Villa and Swansea.
Also fair. I'd give him 2 more games. I understand Pete's frustration - believe me, I've been pissed off with PP a lot over the last 2 years - but he deserves another 2 games for me. He's no Dougie Freedman.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Whether we blame Parky or not, he did send out an attacking team. I had no intention of going this afternoon and had been trying to give my team card away since Wed night, no bugger wanted it.

Sounds as if we had most of the play but the same old problem haunts us again, can't score goals and don't even look like scoring. I don't know what they practice in training because it doesn't show on the pitch.

Changing the manager!!! will it make a set of mediocre footballers any better? I doubt it. These players are first division at most. I say sack him and lets see, there's nowt to lose.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:04 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 pm
Whether we blame Parky or not, he did send out an attacking team. I had no intention of going this afternoon and had been trying to give my team card away since Wed night, no bugger wanted it.

Sounds as if we had most of the play but the same old problem haunts us again, can't score goals and don't even look like scoring. I don't know what they practice in training because it doesn't show on the pitch.

Changing the manager!!! will it make a set of mediocre footballers any better? I doubt it. These players are first division at most. I say sack him and lets see, there's nowt to lose.
Perhaps a new manager, with new ideas & a more positive mentality may get more out of this squad of players - perhaps a new manager will find a system that the team is comfortable playing, perhaps he will get them training better, get them fitter & more organised - who knows they could actually even start to look like they know each other.

Perhaps a new manager will have a coach & an assistant with actual experience of coaching at championship level and who can perhaps coach the players in the attacking side of the game - perhaps a new manager would have a different mindset and have a go at teams, giving them something to worry about instead of just setting out to nullify them.

Lets face it whatever Parkinson & his team are currently doing isn't working....and the football has been the most dire its been in a long time - you can accept shite boring football when its getting results, but losing all the time, creating fcuk all, whilst playing shite boring football is a recipe for disaster and the fans are voting with their feet & it will only get worse.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Re bringing a new manager in: are we not overestimating how much of a draw we now are? Personally, I think that our problems are bigger than the manager but if we do make a change the ones with anything about them would surely wait for a better opportunity if we came calling?

There's that Groucho Marx joke about him not wanting to join any club that would have him as a member. I sort of feel the same way but in reverse about any potential new man in charge - it's unlikely I'd want anyone who would currently consider us an attractive proposition.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:35 pm

P.S I really miss both Madine and ALF.
So not a good time to mention ALF has scored 2 goals in his first 2 games at Sydney, with this first 2 shots at goal ?
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:57 pm

The managers words have been retweeted by Anderson Jr.

We're stuck with PP for another week.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm
The way I see it, I'm afraid, is that if you gave Parky 12 of the current Man City squad we still wouldn't be any better as he'd still try to squeeze them into his system, rather than it being a case of him having the nous to bring the best out of them collectively.
Not to pick up on a minor point, and it may not be what you mean, but I hardly think we can accuse the manager of only having one system, singular. During all three campaigns he's shown willingness to change. There are other far larger charges against him than an unblinking devotion to one method of cat-skinning, Problem is none of his methods are working now, which inevitably leads to the notion that he's acting on random impulse, when in fact I doubt any manager since Allardyce has spent as much time analysing the opposition and fixture list. Again, it's not working, but I'm not having that he's either too stubborn to change or its direct opposite, too ready to change his XI.
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:04 pm
Perhaps a new manager will have a coach & an assistant with actual experience of coaching at championship level
He's got one. First team coach is a bloke called Julian Darby, apparently he's been round the block a few teams. As sidekick to Billy Davies, he was there as Preston reached the play-offs, as Derby went up out of this division, then as Forest reached the playoffs twice.

Or there's Lennie Lawrence. Experience isn't everything.

Again, of the charges that can be levelled at Parkinson, 'inexperienced assistant' is far from the smoking gun. There are much more unarguable reasons to ask for change, like only scoring two goals since God's dog died.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:13 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:39 pm
There's that Groucho Marx joke about him not wanting to join any club that would have him as a member. I sort of feel the same way but in reverse about any potential new man in charge - it's unlikely I'd want anyone who would currently consider us an attractive proposition.
Heh, it's an intriguing point. I mean, we could get a lower-league rising star but that's what Ipswich tried. Maybe a lower-league rising-star whose strength is working with the players he's got (rather than hiring his own like Paul Hurst tried), because let's also underline that they'd have to get the best out of Parkinson's squad for the next two or three months.

According to Wiki, and assuming we'd want someone with some knowledge of the division, these are the managers who've left Championship clubs recently.

Paul Hurst
Steve Bruce
Paul Heckingbottom
Ian Holloway
*Chris Coleman
MickMac
Jaap Stam
Steve Cotterill
Thomas Christiansen
Mark Warburton
Carlos Carvalhal
*Garry Monk
*Leonid Slutsky
Simon Grayson
Harry Redknapp
*Paul Lambert

That's going back to summer 2017. (*Now managing elsewhere)

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:15 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Re bringing a new manager in: are we not overestimating how much of a draw we now are? Personally, I think that our problems are bigger than the manager but if we do make a change the ones with anything about them would surely wait for a better opportunity if we came calling?

No. People say that whenever we're thinking of sacking a manager. From Megson onwards...

Owen Coyle was a manager on the up, had taken Burnley up and was worshipped as a hero.

Dougie Freedman was a manager on the up, had taken Palace to the top of the league and is still an all-time club hero.

Phil Parkinson was a manager on the up, had taken Bradford up, into the playoffs and to a League Cup final.

For all our faults, we're still the 39th best team in the country. But it's not time, yet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:57 pm

A reminder that we're (probably) one of the featured games on Quest, starting in a few minutes.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:15 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

No. People say that whenever we're thinking of sacking a manager. From Megson onwards...

Owen Coyle was a manager on the up, had taken Burnley up and was worshipped as a hero.

Dougie Freedman was a manager on the up, had taken Palace to the top of the league and is still an all-time club hero.

Phil Parkinson was a manager on the up, had taken Bradford up, into the playoffs and to a League Cup final.

For all our faults, we're still the 39th best team in the country. But it's not time, yet.

When Coyle joined us, it's fair to say that objectively we were a genuine step up. And it's not very difficult to see why Freedman considered us a better chance for promotion than Crystal Palace when we hired him either, given that we'd just been relegated and still had the benefit of parachute payments and a good squad. Parky rightly saw us as a big fish in a small pond. The same was also true of Bradford City, but then they'd just welcomed new owners who seemingly had their own ideas about how to do things. Taking into account Ken publicly acknowledging that he's been in discussions with third parties about selling up, that's a position any new guy might also find himself in fairly soon after accepting the job.

So, no money to spend, a squad of players who, on the available evidence, haven't really shown that they're good enough for this level, and the possibility that not long after starting you end up with new owners who want rid of you through no fault of your own. I'd much rather be wrong but things aren't what they once were.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:00 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:00 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:15 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

When Coyle joined us, it's fair to say that objectively we were a genuine step up. And it's not very difficult to see why Freedman considered us a better chance for promotion than Crystal Palace when we hired him too, given that we'd just been relegated and still had the benefit of parachute payments and a good squad. Parky rightly saw us as a big fish in a small pond. The same was also true of Bradford City, but then they'd just welcomed new owners who seemingly had their own ideas about how to do things. Taking into account Ken publicly acknowledging that he's been in discussions with third parties about selling up, that's a position any new guy might also find himself in fairly soon after accepting the job.

So, no money to spend, a squad of players who, on the available evidence, haven't really shown that they're good enough for this level, and the possibility that not long after starting you end up with new owners who want rid of you through no fault of your own. I'd much rather be wrong but things aren't what they once were.

I actually completely forgot Neil Lennon, who again was a manager on the up, had just left Celtic and was expected to land in the Premier League. We were bottom of the Championship.

Look back on the threads on here. We can't sack XYZ or we'll end up with [insert boogeyman here]. And we never do appoint Peter Reid, or John Gregory, it's always been an up and coming manager who's been seen as something of a coup. There just aren't enough jobs to go around for a Championship club with a good stadium, good fanbase and great history to struggle for applicants.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Just a point: Phil Parkinson didn't shoot straight at the keeper when he had real goal chance on. He didn't sail any shot over the bar, hit the side netting or nod a fifty pencer over the top. Neither was he guilty of slack defending that let us lose by the one goal. If he was responsible for any of those things, I could better understand calling for his head. He picked a side that had the best of the game and, had just one of those chances gone in, or that one defensive slip not happened, I doubt if anyone would have been readying the guillotine. Just saying....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?