Villainous Intent. V Aston Villa away Friday 02-11-18 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Villainous Intent. V Aston Villa away Friday 02-11-18 7-45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 am
It’s 100% confidence - he was vice captain at start of season - as soon as he was dropped to the bench his heads gone I think.

In a way I would rather we developed him than Williams...but he’s at the now or never point really if he is going to kick on and fulfill potential. Loves the club, it would be a shame if he became the victim of the fans ire like Nolan at the end of his time here.
The simple truth is he's not very good. He's got a great engine, runs for days. And grafts. And he's worth a squad place for that alone.

But everything else in his game is subpar for even a struggling championship side. His passing is poor. His reading of the game very poor. His decision making is poor. His end product - non existent.

But lets just be honest. At what point has Vela ever, ever looked Championship quality in midfield? Lennon stuck him at right back. In league one he did well in the role of hard running attacking midfield player and scored good goals. But at this level, he doesn't have enough to make that role work. He's not incisive enough nor clinical enough, nor quick enough. And when you put him back into midfield he disappears. Its not through lack of effort - he just doesn't possess a game strong enough for this level, or if he does has never shown it here. Not once.

And the comparison with Williams really highlights this. Williams is a youngster learning his way - but he can at times win the ball back and play and look like he can to some extent control a midfield at this level. It isn't consistent. I've never ever, once even for 10 minutes see Vela look remotely capable of doing that. Williams has work to do to get to the level needed. But Vela I'm not sure has work left - he is what he is.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 pm

I didn't think there was much between them against Hull. Two of our better players.

I think Williams is a decent player but he's been very up and down yet been the only one to survive the chopping and changing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 pm
I didn't think there was much between them against Hull. Two of our better players.

I think Williams is a decent player but he's been very up and down yet been the only one to survive the chopping and changing.
Really? I remember after about 70 minutes, suddenly realising Vela was on the pitch still. He'd be completely anonymous all afternoon IMHO. Williams was notably getting on the ball and looking for options, and trying to win it back. I couldn't tell you a single thing Vela did in that game.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm

I think Williams is a good player. Inexperienced, inconsistent and makes mistakes yes, but he has good ability and is cocky and confident and is prepared to try to control things. He is way ahead of Murphy and Vela. O'Neil could perhaps replace him from time to time, but he has been injured.

Vela needs to grow up imho. He will be 25 next month, but still plays like a 19 year old. He showed in L1 he can finish, but he seems to lost his confidence and looks very unconvincing now when a chance comes his way. His passing isn't good enough, his awareness isn't good enough. He should be improving at all his weaknesses but seems to have stagnated over the last year or two.

As for tonight, I think we will lose 1-0. They, like Hull have big weaknesses in defence, but at this moment we have little creativity and won't be able to exploit it. They have enough quality in the final third to find a goal. We will look ok, we might even be unlucky, but I can't see where a goal is coming from. Hope I am wrong. COYW.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 pm

3 points coming up. Let's have 'em!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 pm

They have a lot of fire power which they haven't been able to harness properly yet. If they click tonight, & let's face it, we're usually the opposition when sides need a leg up, then it could get messy.

Us nil. Them either 1 or 4
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm

If we play the game in their half, i,e, push up the pitch and put pressure on their defense instead of re-playing The Alamo as we've all too often done in the past,we may come away with something. Not since Holden and Mark Davies have we had someone to get the ball and run direct at them ala DeBruyne , Silva, Messi (style, not quality) Sammi can do that, and why not let Wildschutt do it. He's fast enough and can beat a man. Villa will almost certainly expect us to play wallop and hope, and losing by one goal or ten doesn't hurt our points total. Get in and get at em. COME ON YOU WHITES.. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Alnwick, Olkowski, Wheater, Hobbs, Taylor, Buckley, Lowe, Williams, Ozzy, Noone, Donaldson is the team.

Presumably 4-2-3-1. Good selection imho. He should stick with this side/system as his standard for the rest of the season, with Ameobi replacing Noone once he is back..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm
Alnwick, Olkowski, Wheater, Hobbs, Taylor, Buckley, Lowe, Williams, Ozzy, Noone, Donaldson is the team.

Presumably 4-2-3-1. Good selection imho. He should stick with this side/system as his standard for the rest of the season, with Ameobi replacing Noone once he is back..
So you're thinking no room for Magennis starting then ?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Just realised that Wildschutt isn't even on the bench. I know he's been poor at times but he can be useful to bring on for some energy and his ability to move forward with the ball.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

So you're thinking no room for Magennis starting then ?
I think Magennis could start, but if we are going to pass it around more (which Parky's comments and the way we are playing suggest we are), then Donaldson offers more movement, and has the best scoring record at this level.

Interesting they have gone for three more attacking midfielders, with Hourihane, Mcginn and Grealish in midfield. They, understandably, have focused on attack, given our limitations going forward..

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 pm

uh-oh.......

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Just watch Grealish wander through the defence.

It's going to be an embarrassment this one.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Oztumer is wank. There I've said it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Noone is on the shit list now. Losing possession in the final 3rd too often.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 pm
Oztumer is wank. There I've said it.
+1

He looks way out of his depth.

Ireland for him, and Ameobi for Noone and we have a decent team. As it is, some promising spells but no quality in the final third, as expected.

Their keeper looks very dodgy, probably our best hope...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm
If we play the game in their half, i,e, push up the pitch and put pressure on their defense instead of re-playing The Alamo as we've all too often done in the past,we may come away with something.
Repeat, second time, same as first.....Sit back and play head tennis and we'll lose. We can't even take a throw in without giving the ball back to them. Buck up Whites, they ain't Barcelona. COME ON..... :oyea: :oyea:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:49 pm

A slight improvement on our very low recent standard.

The commentator said we’ve been outspent by MK Dons, Blackpool and Scunthorpe on players. That doesn’t half put things in perspective.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Players aren't good enough.

Sick of this shit. Week in week out.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:09 pm

i'm on my hols and watching this on a blurred feed on dodgy wifi.

I'm also well on my way to being half cut.

Do you know the worst thing - i keep hearing the commentator mentioning villa players John McGinn and someone who sounds like Cotcher - and for a split second I think he's talking about JJ or Supa. And then I realise he isn't, and we're actually shit....