Den is the menace: Millwall (a), 3pm Sat 24 Nov 2018

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Den is the menace: Millwall (a), 3pm Sat 24 Nov 2018

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:23 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:10 pm
Now here's the thing: I thought it was a well-deserved point away to a team that is about our level. Disappointing to concede late on, but can't complain overall. Their keeper had to make three or four decent saves to keep them in it. I wouldn't be sacking the manager on that performance. I think the subs were enforced due to injuries?
Bob on. The enforced subs did for us. We could have been out of sight after 60 minutes but nothing stuck with Donaldson like it had Josh and Noone was very poor in comparison to the impressive Buckley.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:44 pm

How was Magennis? His drop in form and injury seems pretty aligned with our poor run (as was sammi’s absence). Donaldson looks past it. Doidge appears to be the new striker we don’t pick!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:44 pm
How was Magennis? His drop in form and injury seems pretty aligned with our poor run (as was sammi’s absence). Donaldson looks past it. Doidge appears to be the new striker we don’t pick!
Very good. He was a real handful for their centre halves and he brought Sammi and Buckley into the game. Donaldson did look very poor and Doige may have been the better alternative but that's hindsight really
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:17 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:44 pm
Very good. He was a real handful for their centre halves and he brought Sammi and Buckley into the game. Donaldson did look very poor and Doige may have been the better alternative but that's hindsight really
Aye but it seems obvious that PP doesn't fancy Doidge.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:23 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Now here's the thing: I thought it was a well-deserved point away to a team that is about our level. Disappointing to concede late on, but can't complain overall. Their keeper had to make three or four decent saves to keep them in it. I wouldn't be sacking the manager on that performance. I think the subs were enforced due to injuries?
Bob on. The enforced subs did for us. We could have been out of sight after 60 minutes but nothing stuck with Donaldson like it had Josh and Noone was very poor in comparison to the impressive Buckley.
About where I was too. A ringing disendorsement of our million pound man though. Donaldson was poor.

Defended for an hour which was pretty awful. Depending where you come from that's a team lacking the confidence to put to bed a game they'd thus far bossed, or a pathological symptom of a broken manager.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:23 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
About where I was too. A ringing disendorsement of our million pound man though. Donaldson was poor.

Defended for an hour which was pretty awful. Depending where you come from that's a team lacking the confidence to put to bed a game they'd thus far bossed, or a pathological symptom of a broken manager.
Mate, it happens all the time with PP. We go ahead, get in at half-time - and then return to sit on the lead.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Seems pretty obvious that every team in our league know that if they keep at us we'll crumble. The number of time's it's happened can't be denied. If they attack us, why oh why can't we do the same? We had the points in the bag (again) and lost it in the last bit by letting them press us and keep firing balls forward into our box whilst we just keep clogging it outwards with no purpose other than the Alamo re-run. This sort of play is killing us. I know we had injuries, got refused a penalty and Archer made a couple of wonder saves, but we still got one point instead of three. So how can the likes of Doige, Oztumer, Wildshcutt, Little Dyer, Ireland and Vela ever prove the points Parky asks of them,from a sitting position? Losing by attacking is still the same result as playing coconuts for the opposition to shy at. It's not even paper aeroplane science, never mind rockets stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 pm

We didn't crumble to be fair. It was an hour of fairly constant pressure which we defended manfully, bodies on the line, 100 effort. We also had by far the better chances. Though we didn't try to attack for an hour. They had all the ball but only really two chances.

We coulda shoulda woulda got the second, they were tidy on the ball but a bit of a shambles under pressure, but as time went on we got deeper and deeper. Overly so imo, though I can see why it happens. Needed management to be driving them out and that didn't happen.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 pm
We didn't crumble to be fair. It was an hour of fairly constant pressure which we defended manfully, bodies on the line, 100 effort. We also had by far the better chances. Though we didn't try to attack for an hour. They had all the ball but only really two chances.

We coulda shoulda woulda got the second, they were tidy on the ball but a bit of a shambles under pressure, but as time went on we got deeper and deeper. Overly so imo, though I can see why it happens. Needed management to be driving them out and that didn't happen.
And that's the issue that pisses fans off.

Been there before with Parky.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Just frustration talking. My stomach is no stronger than any other when we're leading with not much time to go and it seems like the never-ending-story chasing anything like a win. . Biggest worry for me is that there are games we need to win because we know we're going to lose out to the top end clubs. This could have been one of them.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:14 am

How did the midfield three look with Wilson in there? Did Williams play the furthest forward of them? How did he do?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:14 am
How did the midfield three look with Wilson in there? Did Williams play the furthest forward of them? How did he do?
Wilson was the holding midfielder in front of the back 4.

To me it appeared Williams and Lowe played the same role between them. Both got forward to assist in attack and defended when the other went to attack.

Lowe was really more of a threat going forward as he seemed to know where the other players where and got in the box. Williams had 2 occasions to pass out wide to an unmarked Olkowski only to try a 25 yard shot or a pass to the left where all the defenders where.

The team created chances yesterday and it was a system that the original 11 could work with.

It all went south as the system didn't work with Donaldson up top. Not having a back up for Magennis or a change to the system was ultimately what cost us as it led to the constant pressure on the defence.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 am

They all did well enough individually but I didn't like it, balance was wrong. Lowe probably not far off MotM and Wilson definitely an asset defending the endless corners and long throws.

But Magennis and particularly Donaldson were awful off the ball (difference being Magennis was a real attacking threat whereas D was just dreadful (so god knows what that makes Million Pound Man). They played a very classic 442 and worked really well on patterns of play to get into our half. But we let them get from one CB to the other far too easy which meant a cm (usually Williams) had to come out. The three did that much running they had nothing to give when we had it. Three at least times Williams got it with space to drive into and made the wrong choice, partly I think because he was bollocksed.

Our threat came from the wide boys linking with Magennis (Buckley looked v sharp, hope his injury isn't too bad). Really felt like there was a second goal for us but second half we didn't even try to attack, D being wank didn't help. One of the very few times we did Lowe had a golden chance Archer saved well.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am

Yes I think when we talk about Parky being or not being a poor manager in terms of creativity, the fact that a lot of the team have to do so much running that they are knackered by the time we get on the ball is one of the biggest factors, if you think he is poor at creativity that is.

So presumably yesterday was back to a hard running, defend first, hope to score primarily from a set piece type of performance, even though it sounds like we did create a few chances?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am
Yes I think when we talk about Parky being or not being a poor manager in terms of creativity, the fact that a lot of the team have to do so much running that they are knackered by the time we get on the ball is one of the biggest factors, if you think he is poor at creativity that is.

So presumably yesterday was back to a hard running, defend first, hope to score primarily from a set piece type of performance, even though it sounds like we did create a few chances?

It mightn't have been a bad thing if it was; it isn't pretty but it seems to be the only set-up that gets us results.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

It mightn't have been a bad thing if it was; it isn't pretty but it seems to be the only set-up that gets us results.
Completely agree. Time for us to do what we do best and grind out some results.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:14 pm

What we need more than anything is a bit of luck. Some cracking saves and a not-given penalty would both have made their goal a to-be-expected from the home side almost acceptable. At times we looked to have some real class, but we do need to spend less time in our own half. That plus the luck would make a sizeable difference. Even Parky can't be blamed for bad luck.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Pen shout was at the other end so no idea, anyone seen it better? Was weird to for him to go down as he was in. (Though he missed a very similar chance about 5 mins later).

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Completely agree. Time for us to do what we do best and grind out some results.
I really, really, really don't get this!
We don't do anything best. We certainly don't grind out results: We aren't some machine that constantly spits out mince no matter what crap you feed into it, especially as the crap fed in is composed of gelatine not meat never mind gristle, and the bloke at the handle doesn't understand it needs to turn.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください