The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19746
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am
Quite aside from his third-tier PPG, keeping Parky makes sense in a few ways. He would be likely to persuade at least half a dozen of the uncontracted players to re-sign immediately,
I assume that was posted in jest? Parkinson's players were a large part of what went wrong from a playing prospective.
LOL. Sorry, thought it was his tactics that were to blame.

We hold these truths self-evident that many of our players failed at tier-two level, particularly after he briefly tried a more expansive style in response to criticisms of one-dimensionality (before reverting to type under pressure), but I think many of Parky’s hires could have done a job in the Third. Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Beevers; O’Neil, Oz, Williams, Connolly; Noone, Ameobi; Magennis - it wouldn’t be the bad nucleus to add too. Some have now gone because of Ken-based uncertainty, some because they were un(der)used by Parky. But given the fiscal constraints I don’t think the recruitment was terrible; certainly not as bad as the regressive tactics.

Each to their own. It’s all idle speculation as it’s completely in FV’s hands (although as pointed out, they’re not exactly drenched in football experience). But for the record, if it were my choice, I’d start afresh. Sorry Parky.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Personally, I think we have to get rid of him now. My 10 year old son no longer wants to go watching Bolton after a few disastrous games in the last two seasons. Getting thumped and recording no shots on target in some games was not much fun. I am still hoping if we start afresh we may not lose an entire gneration of fans. I fear if we stick with Parky it could damage us long term.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Tweeted 30 minutes ago by Alan Nixon. Hopefully someone who knows his stuff.
Bolton. Hear Football Ventures have an experienced football figure in their takeover team. First jobs will include manager’s future.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: The next manager

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:42 pm

We need a change of atmosphere, new hope. Keeping Phil would instantly kill my renewed hope. He is linked with the immediate past which we want to forget. He is a damaged Brand. We need the fans back.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55 am

Re: The next manager

Post by Branagan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am
Quite aside from his third-tier PPG, keeping Parky makes sense in a few ways. He would be likely to persuade at least half a dozen of the uncontracted players to re-sign immediately,
I assume that was posted in jest? Parkinson's players were a large part of what went wrong from a playing prospective.
LOL. Sorry, thought it was his tactics that were to blame.

We hold these truths self-evident that many of our players failed at tier-two level, particularly after he briefly tried a more expansive style in response to criticisms of one-dimensionality (before reverting to type under pressure), but I think many of Parky’s hires could have done a job in the Third. Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Beevers; O’Neil, Oz, Williams, Connolly; Noone, Ameobi; Magennis - it wouldn’t be the bad nucleus to add too. Some have now gone because of Ken-based uncertainty, some because they were un(der)used by Parky. But given the fiscal constraints I don’t think the recruitment was terrible; certainly not as bad as the regressive tactics.

Each to their own. It’s all idle speculation as it’s completely in FV’s hands (although as pointed out, they’re not exactly drenched in football experience). But for the record, if it were my choice, I’d start afresh. Sorry Parky.
I know what you mean DSB, I've often thought that most of our players over the last couple of seasons would have done a decent enough individual job had they been the weaker links in a better team. The problem is too many 'meh' players in one team, and growing apathy, meaning the sum is less than its parts. I wouldn't mind any single one of them staying - but a team of them? Well, we know what that looks like.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36653
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The next manager

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm

LOL. Sorry, thought it was his tactics that were to blame.
Two things combine here for me, Barnetto. One is that our players, when hitting a 40 yard ball, are poor enough to either over-hit it by 20 yards, under-hit it by 10, or hit it to an opposing player. The second is that they've been told to hit it 40 yards in the first place.
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The next manager

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm

LOL. Sorry, thought it was his tactics that were to blame.
Two things combine here for me, Barnetto. One is that our players, when hitting a 40 yard ball, are poor enough to either over-hit it by 20 yards, under-hit it by 10, or hit it to an opposing player. The second is that they've been told to hit it 40 yards in the first place.
:lol:
This.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4905
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19746
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Branagan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am
Quite aside from his third-tier PPG, keeping Parky makes sense in a few ways. He would be likely to persuade at least half a dozen of the uncontracted players to re-sign immediately,
I assume that was posted in jest? Parkinson's players were a large part of what went wrong from a playing prospective.
LOL. Sorry, thought it was his tactics that were to blame.

We hold these truths self-evident that many of our players failed at tier-two level, particularly after he briefly tried a more expansive style in response to criticisms of one-dimensionality (before reverting to type under pressure), but I think many of Parky’s hires could have done a job in the Third. Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Beevers; O’Neil, Oz, Williams, Connolly; Noone, Ameobi; Magennis - it wouldn’t be the bad nucleus to add too. Some have now gone because of Ken-based uncertainty, some because they were un(der)used by Parky. But given the fiscal constraints I don’t think the recruitment was terrible; certainly not as bad as the regressive tactics.

Each to their own. It’s all idle speculation as it’s completely in FV’s hands (although as pointed out, they’re not exactly drenched in football experience). But for the record, if it were my choice, I’d start afresh. Sorry Parky.
I know what you mean DSB, I've often thought that most of our players over the last couple of seasons would have done a decent enough individual job had they been the weaker links in a better team. The problem is too many 'meh' players in one team, and growing apathy, meaning the sum is less than its parts. I wouldn't mind any single one of them staying - but a team of them? Well, we know what that looks like.
TBH i would keep fewer than half those whose contracts lapsed this summer. As you say, with better players they might be alright. We will probably never know.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19746
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
No massive surprise under their ownership farrago. If he leaves now his legacy is intact and his next job might be easier.

Hopefully good news on Addicks target Oztumer, who deserves better than he got under Parky.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8861
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The next manager

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:59 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:42 pm
We need a change of atmosphere, new hope. Keeping Phil would instantly kill my renewed hope. He is linked with the immediate past which we want to forget. He is a damaged Brand. We need the fans back.
Yep. If they decide we need someone LIKE Parky, fine, I can see the reasons for that.
It can't be Parky though, whatever reasons there are for keeping him are irrelevant against the need for a new start. He's part of a toxic regime, he simply has to go. And we may well end up with another shit manager, but at least we tried to improve.
...

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4269
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: The next manager

Post by Enoch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19746
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 am

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!
Kinda love the ballsy way that the “read this next” under the official-site announcement of his contract extension is still last night’s Andersonian diatribe.

“Yeah, you heard.”

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36653
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The next manager

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!
Good. Thuggish, racist, Cockney c*nt. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19746
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!
Good. Thuggish, racist, Cockney c*nt. :)
But bad, because he wants Oztumer, who could be very useful in the third tier under the right manager.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36653
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The next manager

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!
Good. Thuggish, racist, Cockney c*nt. :)
But bad, because he wants Oztumer, who could be very useful in the third tier under the right manager.
See, I'd say that the prospect of Oztumer staying will have more to do with whether or not Parky's still here, than it would Bowyer being down there, no?

And I've absolutely no doubt that he will be more than useful at this level, as he's already proven himself to be. Again however, if Parky isn't here to freeze him out once more.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!
Good. Thuggish, racist, Cockney c*nt. :)
But bad, because he wants Oztumer, who could be very useful in the third tier under the right manager.
See, I'd say that the prospect of Oztumer staying will have more to do with whether or not Parky's still here, than it would Bowyer being down there, no?

And I've absolutely no doubt that he will be more than useful at this level, as he's already proven himself to be. Again however, if Parky isn't here to freeze him out once more.

My hunch is that if he's offered a return to London after twelve months of not playing up north, and that return offers him a second chance at making it at Championship level, he will probably take it regardless of who our manager is.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38835
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The next manager

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Parky's reign, taking all the obstacles into account (put there by "ownership difficulties etc ..ahem) and decent likeable chap that he is, still had us way bottom of the league and playing rubbish defensive, damage limitation football which obviously din't work, under a self serving and massively self-pomoting owner in Ken A nderton. Bottom line, we're a football club in the business of winning, entertaining the fans and making money (it's 2019), so I'd say last thing we need is a single thing to remember about the reign of either. "The King? is dead" ...etc.., a zombie re-incarnation we do not need...We need a new broom, and not a Trigger style one either. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by twilight » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:10 pm

I agree Tango, although there was all the off field stuff going on and having to be taken into account, the one thing that made me stay away from the last few matches was the turgid stuff going on, on the pitch. I just couldn't sit and watch it, it was horrible. That will be the one reason I wont renew next season and that's if Parkinson is still here

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The next manager

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 pm

My next match that'll I pay dosh to watch will be the first where Parkinson isn't the manager. I don't care if it's Parkinson's next door neighbour who's appointed... But I will not pay out any more money to see Parkinson not work his magic.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests