The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The next manager

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:55 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:26 pm
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Qué? :conf:

Despite 49 people talking about it, I for one am no nearer understanding what, exactly, it is they are talking about.
In my opinion, with time marching on ee need an experienced manager with a deep knowledge of lower-league players, an extensive recruitment network and a coaching staff on standby. If that manager’s CV includes four third-tier promotions with four different clubs, that might be useful in time.

I think Grayson is the most legitimate potential successor to Parkinson, but he may be on his way to the seaside. And as unfair as it may seem, the rebirths of our club and theirs will draw comparisons during the season.

There's no may about it, he's already there. Signed, sealed and delivered.

He'd have been my choice if Parky had been potted, too. I think they'll do well this season.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:42 am

We were never going to get Grayson! We don't have any owners yet and Parkinson requires sacking first.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 am

Wheater on Parky:

“He has the respect of the players,” he said. “The stuff he had to go through last year, I don’t think many other managers would have done that. But he loses his job – which manager would want to come and take over? I hope that he stays, I know he likes me so maybe there would be something there? Who knows?

SKIPPER ISSUES "COME AND KEEP ME" PLEA

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... d-wheater/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:37 am

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 am
Wheater on Parky:

“He has the respect of the players,” he said. “The stuff he had to go through last year, I don’t think many other managers would have done that. But he loses his job – which manager would want to come and take over? I hope that he stays, I know he likes me so maybe there would be something there? Who knows?

SKIPPER ISSUES "COME AND KEEP ME" PLEA

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... d-wheater/
It's a crazy scenario. Is anybody actually talking to the players? I mean, there needs to be some indications given to get them to turn up for training and still be unpaid, surely. If Dave Wheater is so uncertain about it all, indications are that no encouragement is being given that it's all settled. Just how many next/day, next/week statements can be made and not kept?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am

Wheater is a free agent. He's out of contract and looking to get himself a deal somewhere. He wouldn't be training with us. The 6 senior players we have in contract are in training.

Contracts can't be offered to anyone until the deal is completed. I'm sure discussions have taken place in background. But players will be looking after themselves and getting deals sorted if they can.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 am

He's training in Marbella with Kilmarnock, who are in the Europa League and (perhaps more importantly) haven't reported any problems with paying players on time. And yet, and yet, he still makes that audible plea. I'm sure Parky has kept in touch, I'm sure he'd want him again (wouldn't we all?) and I'm sure before signing on the dotted line Big Dave will give Phil one last call to check it's not too late - but at some point this northern working man has to make sure his family is provided for.

After four months without pay, "he's just turning the corner of your street now" doesn't work as well.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am
The 6 senior players we have in contract are in training.
...but until they get paid are still legally entitled to up and leave. Which is why clubs are sniffing: Palace with Remi Matthews, Rangers with Josh Magennis. Either (or any of the others) could simply walk away, citing non-payment, bag a free transfer (presumably with suitably inflated signing-on bonus) and only the harshest of critics would blame them.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:49 am

Might be wrong but think that interview is a few weeks old anyway. Sounds like he will join Killies.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 am
He's training in Marbella with Kilmarnock, who are in the Europa League and (perhaps more importantly) haven't reported any problems with paying players on time. And yet, and yet, he still makes that audible plea. I'm sure Parky has kept in touch, I'm sure he'd want him again (wouldn't we all?) and I'm sure before signing on the dotted line Big Dave will give Phil one last call to check it's not too late - but at some point this northern working man has to make sure his family is provided for.

After four months without pay, "he's just turning the corner of your street now" doesn't work as well.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am
The 6 senior players we have in contract are in training.
...but until they get paid are still legally entitled to up and leave. Which is why clubs are sniffing: Palace with Remi Matthews, Rangers with Josh Magennis. Either (or any of the others) could simply walk away, citing non-payment, bag a free transfer (presumably with suitably inflated signing-on bonus) and only the harshest of critics would blame them.
Wanderersways then! Along with some language denigrating people with disabilities and a bit about fighting in the 1980s.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

It'll be the fecking darkest of dark days if we lose Wheater to Salford.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 am

Conflicted on Wheater. He's a great character to have around and on his day easily our best defender last season. But his injuries limit him quite a lot and I do wonder whether in the longer run we're better off going down a younger and dare I say it cheaper/better value route. Its really a tough call. But reality is we don't have a choice because until the deal can be finally sorted we can't offer anything to anyone.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 am

Conflicted on why the Wheater discussion is in the thread... :D

If we could, I'd happily sign him on for another year. Not just because we're low on numbers but because he's a good lad to have about, clearly popular, and the fans love him. Bad enough to lose Beevers without losing the other Twin Tower too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 am
Conflicted on Wheater. He's a great character to have around and on his day easily our best defender last season. But his injuries limit him quite a lot and I do wonder whether in the longer run we're better off going down a younger and dare I say it cheaper/better value route. Its really a tough call. But reality is we don't have a choice because until the deal can be finally sorted we can't offer anything to anyone.
I think he's exactly who we'll need next season, as much as anything to provide the glue that might hold the whole thing together. Understand what you're saying about his injuries but I've no doubt we'll have a bunch of young, inexperienced players next season and I really think we need Wheater as an influence as much as for his defending.

You understand I'm not advocating we keep him as a Coyle - Robbie Blake tells good jokes type? :)

Just hope we can get something sorted with him before it's too late.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Interesting a league two club appears to be his Avenue - nobody in the championship has pitched up for him.

Me, I would sign him. There is enough churn of last years wankers without losing one of the better ones, and one who genuinely loves the club and fans.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:50 am

In the last three seasons he's played 49, 35 and 34 times. The worst of his injury problems are behind him, just the odd suspension (and, for the first time under Parkinson, dropping).

Also: Salford aren't paying fourth-tier wages. And perhaps just as importantly for Wheats, it's *local*.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am

We're going to need some experience that is for sure. And I like Wheats. In an ideal world we'd keep him I guess its just a cost vs benefit analysis. A player who is still limited by his back, not just in frequency of playing but in general movement terms.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Is Wheatear being proposed as our next manager?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 pm
I will if you'll second it :)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am
Interesting a league two club appears to be his Avenue - nobody in the championship has pitched up for him.

Me, I would sign him. There is enough churn of last years wankers without losing one of the better ones, and one who genuinely loves the club and fans.
I'm not too surprised that a Champo hasn't pitched up. He's been an "ever present" in a team that's leaked 78 and 74 goals in two seasons. Whilst that isn't all down to one bloke, CD is fairly integral and at Wheat's age, I suspect Champo's would be looking to sign better. If we were fully functioning and in the Champ, we probably wouldn't be looking in his direction either, if he was at another Club.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 pm
I will if you'll second it :)
I'll second it... :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Mr Moe is marching his troops out against Reykjavik tonight.
Oh woe, oh woe, is having no Moe.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください