The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The next manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm
How do wanna be managers get experience?

Clearly, anyone with a good pedigree is going to be beyond us, so we're left with experienced folk who've tasted failure at least once (and more likely more) or someone with no management experience but who potentially has the attributes to be a success.

I'd rather a 'nonsense suggestion' than Steve bloody Cotterill any day of the week!
They get experience in situations that allows someone a reasonable amount of breathing space to learn the craft. BWFC on its arse in league one is not that situation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Clearly, anyone with a good pedigree is going to be beyond us, so we're left with experienced folk who've tasted failure at least once (and more likely more) or someone with no management experience but who potentially has the attributes to be a success.

I'd rather a 'nonsense suggestion' than Steve bloody Cotterill any day of the week!
They get experience in situations that allows someone a reasonable amount of breathing space to learn the craft. BWFC on its arse in league one is not that situation.
Sometimes, sometimes not. In summer 1971 the club was on its arse after a record-breakingly bad relegation season in which we'd gone through three managers, and took a chance on a 35-year-old whose boots were so freshly hung-up they still smelt of dubbin. He steadied the ship and took us up in his second season. But he was Jimmy Armfield.

And when he left for Dirty Leeds, we elevated his assistant who'd only arrived that summer. (Admittedly, he'd previously won the Second Division title with Huddersfield, but since then he'd also taken them down twice.) After a couple of near-misses he took us up to the top flight. But he was Ian Greaves.

Sometimes when you take a risk you get a Jimmy Armfield, sometimes you get a Sammy Lee. Sometimes when you get a more experienced manager you get a Bruce Rioch or a Sam Allardyce.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 pm
I've said in the past, and been lambasted for it, I don't know why we (at League One status in this country) don't tempt the manager of the third/fourth/fifth club in Norway/Finland/Switzerland/Exceteraland's Premier League.
That's what they pay headhunters/agents/scouts for. Isn't it?
Why would a coach with a foreign name be better? It makes no sense. I have no problem with a foreign coach/manager if it makes sense. But just aimlessly deciding we'll try and get any foreign manager makes little to no sense.
Did I say "with a foreign name"? Did I? Did I Fxck.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

piesrus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by piesrus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 pm
I've said in the past, and been lambasted for it, I don't know why we (at League One status in this country) don't tempt the manager of the third/fourth/fifth club in Norway/Finland/Switzerland/Exceteraland's Premier League.
That's what they pay headhunters/agents/scouts for. Isn't it?
Why would a coach with a foreign name be better? It makes no sense. I have no problem with a foreign coach/manager if it makes sense. But just aimlessly deciding we'll try and get any foreign manager makes little to no sense.
Did I say "with a foreign name"? Did I? Did I Fxck.
Felipe Bruno, Stefano Bruzzi, Antonino Pulissimo.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:40 pm
Bury are currently enjoying one of their most exciting seasons in years under an ex player with no previous managerial experience. Sometimes it's just right person right time. So, whilst I wouldn't expect us to appoint some random ex player with no connection to us, I'd be chuffed to see us take a punt on an ex player who interviewed well and understood what was required.

There's no guarantees either way
Can't help thinking that Mr Phillips might well be an ideal candidate here.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:12 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bury are currently enjoying one of their most exciting seasons in years under an ex player with no previous managerial experience. Sometimes it's just right person right time. So, whilst I wouldn't expect us to appoint some random ex player with no connection to us, I'd be chuffed to see us take a punt on an ex player who interviewed well and understood what was required.

Did you go to that game at Bristol City? :D

I mean, he's well-liked and he knows The Kids, but three years ago his record read LLLLLDLWL, F5 A19. In his first three away games we conceded 14. I know we were in a tailspin but it's hardly like we're floating serenely along now.

If we're utterly f*cked with no money and forced to rely on half-baked academy lads, then maybe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:27 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I mean, he's well-liked and he knows The Kids, but three years ago his record read LLLLLDLWL, F5 A19. In his first three away games we conceded 14. I know we were in a tailspin but it's hardly like we're floating serenely along now.

If we're utterly f*cked with no money and forced to rely on half-baked academy lads, then maybe.
He's too nice for me. A nice amicable bloke who is thoughtful. In the right situation that might work. But for us, I suspect we need a hardened and cynical battler who will forgo the niceties and pretence that we'll be doing owt more than scrapping.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

He's too nice for me. A nice amicable bloke who is thoughtful. In the right situation that might work. But for us, I suspect we need a hardened and cynical battler who will forgo the niceties and pretence that we'll be doing owt more than scrapping.
I thought, according to the great wisdom that is You, that we were shagged, that there would not be another manager because we are destined for the pit of doom...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I thought, according to the great wisdom that is You, that we were shagged, that there would not be another manager because we are destined for the pit of doom...
IF we survive next season it won't be pretty, unless by some miracle we have a rich Sheikh prepared to throw their money at us. Perhaps they'll redevelop the South Stand into a mosque?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

IF we survive next season it won't be pretty, unless by some miracle we have a rich Sheikh prepared to throw their money at us. Perhaps they'll redevelop the South Stand into a mosque?
You'd need planning permission for that. And it would mean less season ticket holders. But you're the wisdom monger around here... Which particular sheikhdom do you fancy?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

You'd need planning permission for that. And it would mean less season ticket holders. But you're the wisdom monger around here... Which particular sheikhdom do you fancy?
Why would it mean less season ticket holders?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Why would it mean less season ticket holders?
Which particular Sheikhdom do you fancy? You need to get your ducks lined up in order, pal.

Oh ... Duh :doh: you mean because it's the away end!
Because FA rules stipulate 15% of seating must be available to away fans. Without a South Stand the full seating capacity of 28,723 will be reduced to less than 22,000.
Did you not know that?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Oi. That's a friend of mine you're talking about, Cunto :D

Yeah, true. What I was saying (badly, clearly :D ) was that if we are to traverse the Genshaw path of the unproven rookie, then I think that Jimmy would meet any criteria requirements we may have ahead of others.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Yeah, true. What I was saying (badly, clearly :D ) was that if we are to traverse the Genshaw path of the unproven rookie, then I think that Jimmy would meet any criteria requirements we may have ahead of others.
He's a better bet than David Lee. But I'd rather have Browny than either of them..... :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I yield to no man in my love of Jimmy Pip. I just think that he's not our best option except in a set of narrowly-defined, and frankly terrifying, circumstances :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

In today's game, where are these jobs that allow a reasonable amount of breathing space?

We're not sure we're even going to have a team next year and if we do, expectations will be very low (or they should be!) - so the pressure will be off for a while.

Ultimately, I'll back anyone we appoint, but if we go for one of the usual merry go round and try and hoof our way back up with journey men and other clubs kids, then we've missed an opportunity imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

In today's game, where are these jobs that allow a reasonable amount of breathing space?

We're not sure we're even going to have a team next year and if we do, expectations will be very low (or they should be!) - so the pressure will be off for a while.

Ultimately, I'll back anyone we appoint, but if we go for one of the usual merry go round and try and hoof our way back up with journey men and other clubs kids, then we've missed an opportunity imo
+1 Harry, nail, head.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Expectations will be very low (or should be)...but if we go for a journeyman and try and hoof our way back up....

Hmm.

I’d also say this is everything wrong with the thinking here. Just appointing a young untested manager doesn’t mean we suddenly become Barca. A naive young manager having a team out of its depth is not likely to do anything other than end in tears. Modern football fanitis this. We will be scrapping for our lives in league one at best. We need someone who knows how to get the best out of poor players and someone who can cope with ridiculous expectations. Because we all know our fans won’t be happy or content.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:10 am

^ blimey. That's quite a leap from trying an untested manager to becoming Barcelona!

For clarity - I agree, if we survive we're in for a long hard struggle. Personally, I'd rather that struggle be about trying to build something long term and sustainable a'la Pompey.

As a season ticket holder since 1982 I suppose i should be quite chuffed to be described amongst the modern fanitis :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 am

We need someone to inspire and lead, to bring the club back together and give the fans some hope for the future. Age isn't a barrier to doing that. The mettle of a person is everything to do with it.