A win would bee too late! Versus Brentford. Home Sat 27th April. 3-0'clock k

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

piesrus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: A win would bee too late! Versus Brentford. Home Sat 27th April. 3-0'clock k

Post by piesrus » Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 am

So the Brentford game may not go on but; interestingly or ironically or neither; the next performer rocking up to the Unibol is ex-Bees player Rod Stewart on June 14th. He will be playing a selection of his greatest hits including I Am Ailing and Do Ya Think I'm Seventy?
Book your tickets now to avoid dissapointment.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A win would bee too late! Versus Brentford. Home Sat 27th April. 3-0'clock k

Post by jimbo » Fri May 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Game off. Goes down as a 1-0 defeat which is actually better for us than if we’d have played.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm

FFS our defence is shit - how did they get through there?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Now I fully expect that expulsion from the league is a potential and not all that unlikely consequence of failing to fulfill your fixtures....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm
Now I fully expect that expulsion from the league is a potential and not all that unlikely consequence of failing to fulfill your fixtures....
I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. It's a product of the SAG saying the game can't be staged, and a bank holiday weekend before that, and of course the takeover.

If there is an EFL ulterior motive here, maybe - just maybe - it's to frighten off Bassini. They've probably judged that he's technically FPP but, erm, let's say temperamentally not. He's worried about an embargo. He's worried about a points deduction. Perhaps they want to help BWFC jog him on.

Perhaps not; but it's just a theory, like yours that they're doing it now in order to lay ground for expulsion. Considering the league rules allow for four days after the season finishes - ie Thursday - why did they give us the chance to finish our fixtures before the court case that might liquidate us? Why bother to expel us when they could just wait for the court to do it?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 03, 2019 1:08 pm

The Lancs Cup final was played at the UoB on Monday evening in front of over 700 spectators. How did that game get SAG clearance?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri May 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm
FFS our defence is shit - how did they get through there?
Parkinson’s found some positives in the result though, despite another week where we failed to create a chance.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 03, 2019 1:17 pm

Should of done it more often - goal difference would be in better nick.

beakybee
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beakybee » Fri May 03, 2019 6:09 pm

piesrus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 am
So the Brentford game may not go on but; interestingly or ironically or neither; the next performer rocking up to the Unibol is ex-Bees player Rod Stewart on June 14th. He will be playing a selection of his greatest hits including I Am Ailing and Do Ya Think I'm Seventy?
He never played for Brentford and us. It is a myth.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 03, 2019 6:28 pm

beakybee wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:09 pm
piesrus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 am
He never played for Brentford and us. It is a myth.

Killjoy. :D

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed the win. The goal looked offside to me, but Brentford were the better side overall.

See all of this season's other match threads for an analysis of which of our players were rubbish, why the manager is sh!t and how 4-4-2 never works.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm

This game might get us relegated again. According to this newspaper, we may get docked another nine points or more.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... tions-efl/

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm
According to this newspaper

Standards, Timothy!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Doubt that would happen. Hope EFL have been made cautious and therefore more lenient by the bad publicity they've had. New CEO should want a positive fresh start.
If so, there's no point on -21. Rather they double relegated us and start on zero.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 pm

I can't see anything other than a points deduction for failing to fulfill a fixture.

Administration (if/when it comes) was , until Blackpool, an automatic deduction.

At a guess I'm thinking we'll be starting on at least minus 15 next season
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 04, 2019 6:33 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 pm
I can't see anything other than a points deduction for failing to fulfill a fixture.

Administration (if/when it comes) was , until Blackpool, an automatic deduction.

-15 is possible and gives a fighting chance. -21 makes a mockery of the competition. There's no incentive to compete. Like I said they'd be better off putting us into league 2 and promoting an extra team. Plus, would they want to be seen punishing new owners for the sins of a former owner whose prior business record should've disqualified him but for their pathetic owners test? Add in the cosy relationship with their CEO and they'd be on a sticky wicket.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:33 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

-15 is possible and gives a fighting chance. -21 makes a mockery of the competition. There's no incentive to compete. Like I said they'd be better off putting us into league 2 and promoting an extra team. Plus, would they want to be seen punishing new owners for the sins of a former owner whose prior business record should've disqualified him but for their pathetic owners test? Add in the cosy relationship with their CEO and they'd be on a sticky wicket.
Agree with all that LE. The precedents of Luton, Bournemouth, Rotherham et al loom large though. I remember Nick Owen, then chairman of Luton, arguing the same point, that the current club shouldn't be punished for the indiscretions of previous regimes. It fell on deaf ears.

Starting afresh in league two and we could at least attract that level of player. A club starting a season on minus 20 points in league 1 is a hard sell to any potential new players and supporters & as you said, makes a mockery of the competition
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

piesrus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by piesrus » Sat May 04, 2019 9:24 am

If we are in L2, who will be the next Sutty?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 04, 2019 9:40 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:33 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Agree with all that LE. The precedents of Luton, Bournemouth, Rotherham et al loom large though. I remember Nick Owen, then chairman of Luton, arguing the same point, that the current club shouldn't be punished for the indiscretions of previous regimes. It fell on deaf ears.

Starting afresh in league two and we could at least attract that level of player. A club starting a season on minus 20 points in league 1 is a hard sell to any potential new players and supporters & as you said, makes a mockery of the competition
Don't we get more money doing a season in League 1 (even if the points penalty doomed us to relegation)? Isn't that something we're pretty short of right now?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 04, 2019 9:52 am

^ there's more money in league 1 than 2 but is it significant?

A (possibly) competitive team in league 2 would bring more in through the door than a practically relegated league 1 side?