Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Not a lot visibly happening today, and not just because TW was down (always a worry, thanks for sorting it).

Ipswich site TWTD is saying Nsiala might be a loan-to-buy job. Not sure why we'd use one of our remaining loan slots, unless there's a fiscal reason – namely that Ipswich would still pay some of his wages but be happy to cut their losses; however, it looks like Nsiala, who was valued at £750,000 in the £2m double-deal with Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury 18 months ago, still has 18 months on his contract.

As Iles notes, deals can be struck - Daryl and Emmanuel were among those contracted elsewhere but released to join us. But we'll see.
Can only be a loan surely? We can't pay a fee and are limited on wages to £2K per week. So someone would have to pay off the rest (and presumably its a sizeable chunk). Ipswich won't - why would they? So a loan makes sense - where the commitment is minimised on both sides. Then in the summer Ipswich can try hawking him around again to see if they can get a better deal than we're able to offer. Only way I can see him joining otherwise is if he the player agrees to forgo the rest of his Ipswich contract - and take the wages hit.
Or they pay somewhere near the defecit he'd be owed. Assume something like that happened with Murphy. Doubt he gave up his Forest contract for free to come here on 2kpw.

Though given what we now know about his nocturnal exploits maybe they had some leverage.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:09 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:26 pm
Not really sure why we wouldn't re-sign Chicksen.
Same reasons we wouldn't re-sign any player: better replacement, financial strangulation, manager doesn't like him. Not saying any or all of those apply here, but the fact we sent Earl back must mean there's a lefty on the horizon, unless it's Joe Bunney.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Presumably Chicksen starts tomorrow? He’s going to give his all in the 50:50 challenges isn’t he!

feck me it’s looking bleak this.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:09 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Same reasons we wouldn't re-sign any player: better replacement, financial strangulation, manager doesn't like him. Not saying any or all of those apply here, but the fact we sent Earl back must mean there's a lefty on the horizon, unless it's Joe Bunney.
One can hazard a guess that given for a while when he had the luxury Hill picked Earl over Chicksen (until he was needed at CB) then sent Earl packing - we can deduce he's not a huge Chicksen fan.

I suspect deep down Hill has given up survival this week having looked at the market and instead is planning to next season. If you were seriously hoping we could stay up you wouldn't leave the squad in the state its in for Rochdale and then a game Tuesday. No way.

Looks pretty much on for a right going over tomorrow given what we've got.

Not that I necessarily disagree with the plan - my only issue being that I'm unconvinced seriously in Hill's ability to deliver.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Given he's probably been our best defender, finding a better replacement seems highly fanciful. Financial strangulation doesn't seem like something which would stop this deal from happening, so of the 3 'manager doesn't like him' is the most probable, but to me that's weird and does make me question Hill.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Nsiala confirmed. Loan to the end of the season.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 pm

I don't mind Chiksen but he offers nothing going forward. More of a Parky type player then what we were led to believe Hill wanted. Possible that is the reason Hill doesn't fancy him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 pm
I don't mind Chiksen but he offers nothing going forward. More of a Parky type player then what we were led to believe Hill wanted. Possible that is the reason Hill doesn't fancy him.
You sure it's not that we're absolutely doooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:37 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Ipswich fans don't appear to rate him, but if he can recapture his Shrewsbury form from a couple of years ago he'll be decent for us, he was highly rated which is why Ipswich paid decent money for him (was it £2M for him and a player called Nolan ?).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:30 pm
Prufrock wrote:
You sure it's not that we're absolutely doooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed?
Correlation v causation.

We're obviously domed. As domed as if St Paul's cathedral were appointed Professor of Domes at Oxford University.

But here I think Hill just doesn't fancy him. Worth remembering that even more than the deadline dayers he was a "take what you can get". Any unattached LB to sign outside the window after Bunney and his accident.

Did we ever get a full tale on that, btw?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
He’s better on the ball than off it in my view.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Joe Bunney was signed for that wing. Must be near full fitness.

TheN5Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheN5Trotter » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 am
Iles seemed impressed with signing Hamilton, who seems to have done well for Dale last season. No clarity online about his contract length - he signed a new one in summer 2018, but reports don't say how long. However, as he's 21 and hasn't played a competitive minute for the first team, I would guess he's on a free this summer and wondering where he'll be. Might be us.

Doubt we'd carry Daryl's wages in Div 4 (we're probably not paying him the full whack he was on). He also turns 38 next season. Never say never and all that, and it depends on dollar, but I think this might be it for him here - especially as other third-tier teams will have noticed him scoring in this league.
He's off to Salford on a free nailed on. Right next to bolton but can pay his wages in league 2

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:12 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:37 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Ipswich fans don't appear to rate him, but if he can recapture his Shrewsbury form from a couple of years ago he'll be decent for us, he was highly rated which is why Ipswich paid decent money for him (was it £2M for him and a player called Nolan ?).
Yep, Jon Nolan. Like another Nolan he's a Scouse midfielder and had gained a reputation as a goalscorer, grabbing 10 for Shrewsbury in their peak season before Paul Hurst switched to Ipswich and took him and Toto too. He hasn't bagged with that regularity again but has played 47 times for Ipswich in 18 months, so he's obviously settled in better.

Paul Lambert on Toto: “I think he needs game time. He’s not high in confidence at the minute. He gives you everything but he’s just having a bit of a hard time.” One of those who needs a cuddle. That's the market we're in.

In other news, Hill wants Bridcutt back: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/
Liam has gone back with his hamstring injury after the Burton game and his future will be assessed by Liam Bridcutt.

He’s come in and done really well for us when he’s been available to play, he was outstanding in every department, whether he was in central defence or central midfield.

He’s a calibre-A football player that you do want to retain but because of the exposure that we’ve given him and the success that he’s had here he has got other football clubs chasing him. I would like to bring him back though.

Looking at Jack Hobbs, Liam and Ali Crawford, they are key components missing on a regular basis and I do believe if we had those three players fit and consistently available I think some of our draws would have been turned into wins. Sat back and reflecting, to get 18 points from 16 games is not good enough, but it is a minor miracle.
Iles says Peterborough are interested but want Forest to give them first option on signing him in the summer. Isn't he out of contract in the summer, and therefore it's none of Forest's business unless they renew?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:12 am
Paul Lambert on Toto: “I think he needs game time. He’s not high in confidence at the minute. He gives you everything but he’s just having a bit of a hard time.” One of those who needs a cuddle. That's the market we're in.

Without a doubt, but thus far Hill doesn't seem very keen on cuddling or putting arms around shoulders.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 pm

So we're going to ask Chicksen to play today despite the fact he's seemingly not getting offered a new contract? Bizarre.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Screenshot_20200111_125458.jpg
Screenshot_20200111_125458.jpg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
An Ipswich friend sent me this.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:06 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Screenshot_20200111_125458.jpg

An Ipswich friend sent me this.
Alex Baptiste then. Just hope Hill doesn't do a Dougie and play him anywhere but his preferred position
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 pm
So we're going to ask Chicksen to play today despite the fact he's seemingly not getting offered a new contract? Bizarre.

It's quite possible we're waiting to see what other opportunities present themselves in the rest of the transfer window before we make a decision on re-signing him. It's also quite possible we'll re-sign him on Monday morning.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Vlad Weiss has been released from his contract and spotted that midfielder Yohan Croizet (main stay of French 2nd Div teams and MLS side Sporting Kansas City) has been released.

Saw him play a couple of times on visits to the States (watching New York City) and he's a decent, tidy footballer
Pfffft.