Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Mellis has lost his way a bit - recall him being the next big thing at Barnsley a while back. Could be a great signing if the management team can get him firing again. Happy with the winger - needed that. Defender I don’t know anything about, but if Keith has decided Zouma and Edwards aren’t up to it fair enough I guess. Disappointed we can’t get a tune out of Zouma in particular as his raw attributes had real potential...but there you go.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:03 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 am
I still think it'll be a 4. Suspect we've seen the last of Zouma. Brockers I suspect is emergency Emmanuel cover. That's then leaves 5 CBs, one is perma-crock Hobbs and one untested Edwards.
Is emergency Emmanuel cover like a VHS tape you whip out for a crafty wank when your mum's gone out?
That reference is going to require a lot of footnotes. :D

I'm sitting here trying to get past the image of Worthy cracking one off over Marlon Brando.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:01 pm
Feels to be like we've got far more senior players then we did before, whether true or not, which would be nice.
Depends whether you define Connor Hall and Mo Faal as senior, but as they cancel each other out:

OUT (7):
Josh Earl
Jake Wright
Adam Chicksen
Liam Bridcutt
James Weir
Thibaud Verlinden
Connor Hall (loan to end of contract)

IN (8):
Toto Nsiala
Ryan Delaney
Kean Bryan
Brandon Fleming
Ethan Hamilton
Anthony Georgiou
Jacob Mellis
Mo Faal

OUT THEN IN THEN OUT AGAIN (1):
Will Buckley

Although Bridcutt and Tbone will be missed, I think we're stronger overall than a month ago - especially at the back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:03 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 am
I still think it'll be a 4. Suspect we've seen the last of Zouma. Brockers I suspect is emergency Emmanuel cover. That's then leaves 5 CBs, one is perma-crock Hobbs and one untested Edwards.
Is emergency Emmanuel cover like a VHS tape you whip out for a crafty wank when your mum's gone out?
That reference is going to require a lot of footnotes. :D

I'm sitting here trying to get past the image of Worthy cracking one off over Marlon Brando.
No thanks needed!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:39 pm

I don't know if this is new information to anyone but me, but Iles seems to have received confirmation that the registration embargo ends in May 2021. I felt pretty certain that it extended to both of next season's transfer windows but if it had come into effect from the date we exited rather than entered administration it would've run until August 2021, which would obviously have meant it was effectively in place for one transfer window more.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:00 pm

It will be both of next seasons windows, Aug 2020 and Jan 2021.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:21 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:00 pm
It will be both of next seasons windows, Aug 2020 and Jan 2021.

I probably didn't word it very well, but that's what I meant. It could feasibly have run from the moment we exited administration (August 2019) as opposed to when we entered it (May 2019). If it had, then it would practically have been in force for the next three transfer windows (July to September 2020, January 2021, and July until late August 2021). Now that Iles has confirmed it runs only until May 2021, we know that we'll be able to sign players without restriction before we even begin the pre-season of 2020/2021, instead of just for couple of days before that summer's transfer window is due to close, by which point the season would already have started.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:37 pm

There is a pretty strict salary cap at L2 level though I think.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:37 pm

There is, but we'll at least be competing under the same restrictions as the rest of the league. And it's based on percentage of turnover, which makes it even more important that we not only have a strong finish to this season, but that do well enough next season to ensure that enough people want to keep paying to watch us.

There's no restriction on transfer fees paid, though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:36 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Maybe by summer 2021 that won't affect us... one way or another :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
There is, but we'll at least be competing under the same restrictions as the rest of the league. And it's based on percentage of turnover, which makes it even more important that we not only have a strong finish to this season, but that do well enough next season to ensure that enough people want to keep paying to watch us.
This is an interesting point re size of club. I'm really not into pissing competitions but in this year's fourth division, 14 teams have four-figure capacities and only Bradford (25k) are anywhere near our potential matchday bums-on-seats number.

Now obviously we haven't sold out the UniMacBok for quite some time, and at some tipping point it must become a bit white elephanty. But I genuinely wonder, if we started winning games in style down there, how many and how quickly fans would return. I don't think we have a usable comparison; Parky's promotion team got as many pelters as plaudits that season, Allardyce's was two divisions higher and Rioch's was so far back in time it's at a different ground.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:30 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
This is an interesting point re size of club. I'm really not into pissing competitions but in this year's fourth division, 14 teams have four-figure capacities and only Bradford (25k) are anywhere near our potential matchday bums-on-seats number.

Now obviously we haven't sold out the UniMacBok for quite some time, and at some tipping point it must become a bit white elephanty. But I genuinely wonder, if we started winning games in style down there, how many and how quickly fans would return. I don't think we have a usable comparison; Parky's promotion team got as many pelters as plaudits that season, Allardyce's was two divisions higher and Rioch's was so far back in time it's at a different ground.

When we were truly on our uppers in August, we played in front of 5,454, of which I think just over 500 were away supporters. Using that as a barometer I'd guess our base support would be between 5 and 6,000, factoring in that season tickets would be on sale, we'd have a squad of senior players to pick from, and we'd no longer be under threat of extinction. Provided we're competitive in the second half of this season, I'd expect us to start 2020/2021 at around 8 or 9,000 minimum. If we start positively and maintain it for long enough I think that could rise steadily to 12,000, peaking at 15,000 in the final stretch if there's a hint a promotion party might be on the horizon. That's based solely on gut feeling, though.

I also think how we play might be key. Getting results would be good for the gate receipts, but getting results whilst being a joy to watch would be even better.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:32 pm

On a related note, Iles is in no doubt that the registration embargo's wage ceiling will be reduced on relegation. I suppose it makes sense if we'll be playing at a lower level, but they're intent on making us suffer, aren't they?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Surely if you were Darcy then signing a contract this season is better?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:46 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:50 pm
Surely if you were Darcy then signing a contract this season is better?
I don't think he'd be threatening the ceiling. Not yet.

(PS cheers Nicko - interesting thoughts. Me, I've no idea, but you've probably already noticed that :D )

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Strong “U23s” side about to kick off...

Alexander, White, Senior, Delaney, Edwards, Mellis, Darcy, Thomason, Faal, Graham, Bunney.
Subs: King-Harmes, Hutchinson, Brown-Sterling, Richards, Ahmadi.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:36 pm

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 pm
Strong “U23s” side about to kick off...

Alexander, White, Senior, Delaney, Edwards, Mellis, Darcy, Thomason, Faal, Graham, Bunney.
Subs: King-Harmes, Hutchinson, Brown-Sterling, Richards, Ahmadi.
Thought they might've given Brockbank a run-out. I'd have thought he could use the minutes?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -contract/

I read this to mean that Darcy and his representatives are stalling over a contract. they maybe want more than we can pay at the moment. Did that have anything to do with him note starting on Saturday? Luca Connel is still a fresh wound for us. We cant develop players and the walk away for peanuts or nothing. Hope he signs soon else I fear his head will be messed up and he will be frozen out.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -contract/

I read this to mean that Darcy and his representatives are stalling over a contract. they maybe want more than we can pay at the moment. Did that have anything to do with him not starting on Saturday? Luca Connel is still a fresh wound for us. We cant develop players and the walk away for peanuts or nothing. Hope he signs soon else I fear his head will be messed up and he will be frozen out.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 pm

The article states why he was left out, the lad is disappointed but needs to understand where he is at in his career. Had he started on Saturday and we lost then there would be some pretty pissed off folk.

The reasons around why he has had an accelerated career should stop the short success he has had from going to his head. The lad is a decent prospect and will no doubt feature more in the future.

If he's holding the club to ransom then cheerio. Thanks but no thanks.