Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am
I wouldn’t rule out loan signings. It would seem daft not to take the chance before it leaves.

Question is who’s making decisions like which player to sign. I would expect short-term contracts for free transfers - six months, one year, two years max - if the latter hopefully with relegation wage drop clause. Loanees - if we get offered a good youngster (ie more 21 than 16) on favourable terms we would be daft to turn it down. Not exactly swimming in selection options.
Deadline for loan signings is Monday. We're looking at having a new manager by end of next week. I'm not sure how we'll do loan deals - given the situation and timeframe. But we'll see.
You'd think our highly paid consultant would have a long list, some of which haven't yet gone elsewhere.
As for timing, I'm sure the new manager would rather have a load of someone else's senior signings rather than wait til Jan with a bunch of kids!
Cousins was working for admins. So not sure if he's still here. You'd hope they will be able to make some loan signings but I think personally it will take them a while to find their feet. We shall see.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I wouldn’t rule out loan signings. It would seem daft not to take the chance before it leaves.

Question is who’s making decisions like which player to sign. I would expect short-term contracts for free transfers - six months, one year, two years max - if the latter hopefully with relegation wage drop clause. Loanees - if we get offered a good youngster (ie more 21 than 16) on favourable terms we would be daft to turn it down. Not exactly swimming in selection options.
Deadline for loan signings is Monday. We're looking at having a new manager by end of next week. I'm not sure how we'll do loan deals - given the situation and timeframe. But we'll see.
You'd think our highly paid consultant would have a long list, some of which haven't yet gone elsewhere.
As for timing, I'm sure the new manager would rather have a load of someone else's senior signings rather than wait til Jan with a bunch of kids!
Cousins was working for admins. So not sure if he's still here. You'd hope they will be able to make some loan signings but I think personally it will take them a while to find their feet. We shall see.

If he'd been negoiating with clubs on our behalf then provided the players haven't gone elsewhere, there's surely no reason why those negotiations can't be resurrected.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:46 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If he'd been negoiating with clubs on our behalf then provided the players haven't gone elsewhere, there's surely no reason why those negotiations can't be resurrected.
I'm not convinced he was really doing that. He was mainly there to advise on value of players I think. I'm sure he might have helped bring a few in to train - but that part and who was doing what and why is a bit unclear.

The FV plan was to let Parky build a squad and hope in doing so he would stay for a while at least. Parky was always likely to leave regardless - but might have signed up those training with us. My guess now is they'll tread very carefully until a new manager is appointed because the last thing you want is an almost full squad a new manager doesn't fancy. There will be plenty of frees still about. And really we're looking towards next season now. FV will (I'm told) drive very hard bargains all round so I suspect signing players will be slower than normal as gone are the days of handing out contracts - of the size even Ken was.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
I can understand the hesitancy there, but he can sign "senior" players after the deadline. What he can't do is sign the latest Mason Mounts etc. (Obviously we won't be fishing in that pool but another Joe Williams or Callum Connolly wouldn't go amiss.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I can understand the hesitancy there, but he can sign "senior" players after the deadline. What he can't do is sign the latest Mason Mounts etc. (Obviously we won't be fishing in that pool but another Joe Williams or Callum Connolly wouldn't go amiss.)
Nixon was speculating that we're shopping in the £2K per week max pool (under Ken it was about 8/9 a week(. Now I don't trust AN - but I think he's probably right on this one. The expectations need lowering considerably I suspect.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:54 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Nixon was speculating that we're shopping in the £2K per week max pool (under Ken it was about 8/9 a week(. Now I don't trust AN - but I think he's probably right on this one. The expectations need lowering considerably I suspect.
I fully agree. Which is why I suggest we might be interested in loaning promising kids from higher leagues who won't be on that sort of wage, or at least won't at ours. Remember the Champo clubs' window has closed too, so a lot of clubs have the choice of keeping their match-ready Academy lads kicking heels in the U23s or proving themselves in League One.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:42 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Yes that's it. I'm not talking about filling the squad, just getting a few adults in on loan of that ilk before it's too late.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:54 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I fully agree. Which is why I suggest we might be interested in loaning promising kids from higher leagues who won't be on that sort of wage, or at least won't at ours. Remember the Champo clubs' window has closed too, so a lot of clubs have the choice of keeping their match-ready Academy lads kicking heels in the U23s or proving themselves in League One.
Ken was banging on about such loans costing £10K a week minimum nowadays. So I guess its a tough one. However given their window has closed you'd hope we'd have a few that we can get for less.

See Peterbrough have offered us their list of out of contract players. Though we've said our hands are tied till we get a new manager...but that we need 15 players. Its not clear how all this will work. We shall see.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:03 pm
Ken was banging on about such loans costing £10K a week minimum nowadays. So I guess its a tough one. However given their window has closed you'd hope we'd have a few that we can get for less.
Ken's word is dead.

Loans can cost, but it's a negotiation between the clubs. We might get some charity but there's also something in for the loaners. Either the lad of 22, 23, 24 proves himself and can be sold later (with sell-on clause), or he doesn't and they haven't wasted their time.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
See Peterbrough have offered us their list of out of contract players. Though we've said our hands are tied till we get a new manager...but that we need 15 players. Its not clear how all this will work. We shall see.
Not quite "offered", but pointed us toward their Gumtree page. Barry Fry: “I’ve had a conversation with Bolton who told me their hands are tied until they appoint a new manager. They also told me they need to sign 15 players by 5pm next Monday so they have a list of our available players and what we would want for them. There’s a good chance a couple might sign for them.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Ken's word is dead.

Loans can cost, but it's a negotiation between the clubs. We might get some charity but there's also something in for the loaners. Either the lad of 22, 23, 24 proves himself and can be sold later (with sell-on clause), or he doesn't and they haven't wasted their time.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Not quite "offered", but pointed us toward their Gumtree page. Barry Fry: “I’ve had a conversation with Bolton who told me their hands are tied until they appoint a new manager. They also told me they need to sign 15 players by 5pm next Monday so they have a list of our available players and what we would want for them. There’s a good chance a couple might sign for them.”
Yep - we can't pay fees - so actually struggling with logic of that one.....though its Barry Fry - he tends to talk gibberish. I can't see how we'll sign any of their players thinking about it....

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:17 pm

Have we had it confirmed we are in an embargo?

It is not beyond the bound of possibility that the EFL could show us some sympathy in this area, given they will fully understand that we have essentially been abused by KA's ownership, and we are already facing additional points penalties? If the new owners have submitted a plan that includes a budget for the playing squad, maybe some of that could be spent on fees?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:21 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Have we had it confirmed we are in an embargo?

It is not beyond the bound of possibility that the EFL could show us some sympathy in this area, given they will fully understand that we have essentially been abused by KA's ownership, and we are already facing additional points penalties? If the new owners have submitted a plan that includes a budget for the playing squad, maybe some of that could be spent on fees?
I'm fairly sure we won't be paying fees and are under embargo. But the EFL don't exactly give information out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:22 pm

It has been said that it's not so much an embargo as the EFL checking every deal.

The bigger problem is we don't have much money. Just gone through an admin process where we're telling local suppliers, charities etc they're getting pence in the pound.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:55 pm

HOBBS SIGNS
Confirmed. We're delighted to announce that Jack Hobbs has returned to Bolton Wanderers on a deal until the end of the 2019/20 season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm

So only Hobbs signed according to the BN.

Not entirely surprising given timescales and Hobbs already had signed a deal - it just needed approval.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Gary O'neil and Jem Karacan are 2 of the other 3.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:16 pm
Gary O'neil and Jem Karacan are 2 of the other 3.
Maybe but they aren't signed for tomorrow.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:20 pm

See who plays tomorrow.

Hobbs should be a good addition at this level.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:01 pm

All those would be solid signings :pissed:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:46 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not convinced he was really doing that. He was mainly there to advise on value of players I think. I'm sure he might have helped bring a few in to train - but that part and who was doing what and why is a bit unclear.

The FV plan was to let Parky build a squad and hope in doing so he would stay for a while at least. Parky was always likely to leave regardless - but might have signed up those training with us. My guess now is they'll tread very carefully until a new manager is appointed because the last thing you want is an almost full squad a new manager doesn't fancy. There will be plenty of frees still about. And really we're looking towards next season now. FV will (I'm told) drive very hard bargains all round so I suspect signing players will be slower than normal as gone are the days of handing out contracts - of the size even Ken was.

Well, we signed Earls, Brockbank and Weir during his time at the club, and Hobbs reportedly agreed a contract prior to the start of the season. I'd be surprised if it was Parky who carried out the negotiations if Cousins was on the payroll.

Also, I'm not certain the focus will be on next season. I know of one managerial candidate who's been told the new manager will be expected to put up a fight to avoid relegation.