Chairboys v Choirboys; the Wanderers against some Wanderers. Wycombe (a). Sat 3 August - 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Chairboys v Choirboys; the Wanderers against some Wanderers. Wycombe (a). Sat 3 August - 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:34 pm
Controversial view (nothing to do with us this season we'll take what we can get) - the modern game at all levels now demands full backs who can get up and down and use the ball. The old style of "defend first" simply doesn't cut it. Wingers need the full back giving them an option especially when as is the trend, you use "inverted wide players".
Nah. Top end, sure. Still plenty room down here for solid dependables. Even the tier up you're better off with a reliable full back and good winger than a trendy Robinson type with f all in front. (the double no is of course a dependable full back and a bobbins winger ).
Your full backs get so much of the ball now even down here that I feel its a problem when its Taylor - dependable as he is - he offers no width or threat from a cross.

I felt we looked best in the championship - if somewhat vulnerable when Robinson and/or Little were allowed to get forward a lot and really overload attacks. Without at least one of those sorts of full backs you need someone really exceptional out wide to threaten teams in those areas in my view.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Chairboys v Choirboys; the Wanderers against some Wanderers. Wycombe (a). Sat 3 August - 3pm

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 pm
for me the two best fullbacks on either flank since we got relegated from the Prem (admittedly in some horrific competition).

:shock:
Last edited by Enoch on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:48 pm

I don't think you do in League 1 though. The gulf is massive. We looked better overall in the Champ like that because, Sammy aside, our entire attack was way below standard. The gains we got from overlapping fullbacks therefore far outweighed the losses going the other way.

Down here Magennis Oz etc (if still here) even Buckley will be good enough that you don't need it from your fullbacks who can focus on defending. Teams go front to back a lot quicker too meaning your fullbacks don't get the chances to get involved. It would be nice to have both of course, but there aren't many of them at this level!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:35 pm
HMX wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 am
I'm tempted to drive up for this one 8)
I'm tempted to drive down. We could make quite an impact - the crash as we hit each other, that is.
:box:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Grounds and Darby both good cases for the worst, mind.
For the title of Worst BWFC Left Back Within My Lifetime, I'd say that it's a very close run thing between Jonathan Grounds and Dean Moxey. :hang:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:51 pm
Prufrock wrote:

For the title of Worst BWFC Left Back Within My Lifetime, I'd say that it's a very close run thing between Jonathan Grounds and Dean Moxey. :hang:
Dean Moxey! Jesus.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 pm

I can't forget seeing Danny Butterfield try to play

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.
Saw him make his debut for us down at Watford. Within 10 seconds of the kick-off he'd put Troy Deeney through one-on-one with our keeper.

He remains our only ever player for whom I've expressed delight upon watching him getting carried off injured.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.
Saw him make his debut for us down at Watford. Within 10 seconds of the kick-off he'd put Troy Deeney through one-on-one with our keeper.

He remains our only ever player for whom I've expressed delight upon watching him getting carried off injured.
:lol:
Harsh.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:25 pm

HMX wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 pm
I can't forget seeing Danny Butterfield try to play
I was at that Leicester game, and he was truly horrendous, but clearly not fit either. Others have proved their shitness over a period of time!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.

Harsh.
Whereas I have happier memories of the Mox.
:D
https://youtu.be/4MolOLbjvyA
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:27 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.

Harsh.
That were a great day out.

...and if I recall correctly, Man of the Match was one Liam Trotter!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.

Harsh.

That clip is entitled Dean Moxey's first Bolton goal...
Like there ever was a second... :whack:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Enoch wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.

Harsh.

Your memory is better than mine! I assume The Antigallician was involved at some point. Did Pru get a round in?!
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:02 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:59 pm
Enoch wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Dean Moxey! Jesus.

Harsh.

Your memory is better than mine! I assume The Antigallician was involved at some point. Did Pru get a round in?!

The memory isn't that good. I'd have had a fair few before it had ever gotten round to his turn.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:21 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Controversial view (nothing to do with us this season we'll take what we can get) - the modern game at all levels now demands full backs who can get up and down and use the ball. The old style of "defend first" simply doesn't cut it. Wingers need the full back giving them an option especially when as is the trend, you use "inverted wide players".
Nah. Top end, sure. Still plenty room down here for solid dependables. Even the tier up you're better off with a reliable full back and good winger than a trendy Robinson type with f all in front. (the double no is of course a dependable full back and a bobbins winger ).
Your full backs get so much of the ball now even down here that I feel its a problem when its Taylor - dependable as he is - he offers no width or threat from a cross.

I felt we looked best in the championship - if somewhat vulnerable when Robinson and/or Little were allowed to get forward a lot and really overload attacks. Without at least one of those sorts of full backs you need someone really exceptional out wide to threaten teams in those areas in my view.
That's literally what I said last season but got pasted for it because 'Little can't defend and Pawel is world class.'

Pawel was so poor last season after August and Little never got a look in, despite being a very good attacking full-back. And it really pisses me off that we've now lost him as well.

Anyway, really looking forward to Saturday ...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 pm

We won sign a better full back than little at this level. I think him going is as much to do with Parkinson than wages. Though I suppose he got fixed up well in advance of the takeover, unlike Taylor.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but this game is all ticket for away supporters.
https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news ... lton-fans/
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:54 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:21 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

That's literally what I said last season but got pasted for it because 'Little can't defend and Pawel is world class.'

Pawel was so poor last season after August and Little never got a look in, despite being a very good attacking full-back. And it really pisses me off that we've now lost him as well.

Anyway, really looking forward to Saturday ...
I think Olkowski was a miles better full back than Little in every department - but clearly the situation had a very high impact on him as Parky has alluded to.

Olkowski for me is the model of a fullback you want - solid but can get up and down and actually do something with the ball.

Little and Robinson couldn't defend very well but their pace and attacking instinct got them through. If we could find two Olkowski's for either side that would be ideal...but if we found a Little and a Robinson that would also be good.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:56 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but this game is all ticket for away supporters.
https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news ... lton-fans/
Two bought and paid for, even if I suspect I have as much faith in my ability to get my money back as I do in the takeover happening...

Couldn't get two together in the middle two sections (except at pitch level). What a determined bunch we Bolton fans are.