Chairboys v Choirboys; the Wanderers against some Wanderers. Wycombe (a). Sat 3 August - 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Chairboys v Choirboys; the Wanderers against some Wanderers. Wycombe (a). Sat 3 August - 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:14 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:06 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:59 am
I suppose if they have moves to other clubs lined up and want to leave we might ultimately have to be practical about it. But I wouldn't have a problem with any player who handed his notice in continuing to play for us post-takeover if they wanted to. It's not the same as a player handing in a transfer request, they were pretty extraordinary circumstances.
Its not that I'd be annoyed or anything its just we need a season of togetherness and battle. And everyone who is here must be prepared for that. Can't be carrying anyone at all.
On a transfer thread, this may have some (arguable) value. On a thread about a match this weekend, considerably less so.

I completely agree they all need to be rowing the boat together. But we also need the best players possible. OK, we could play Connor Hall (who couldn't get a start for Accrington) instead of Magennis. But who instead of Oztumer?
There was a notion that a certain amount of players were lined up and ready to sign. Problem is, the more time they spend on the paperwork for deal, the less time they probably have to get anybody new registered - I know it can happen quick, but really short on time now.

Feels like an any bugger standing, registered and able to afford boots (given some of them haven't been paid), sort of team. Whilst I've been generally supportive of them trying to get their due monies, it should be noted, to support BWFCi's point, that many of the "retainees" have been in the press quoting their mental distress - so I do think there's a point there as to their frame of mind, without it being a vindictive "feck 'em"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Chairboys v Choirboys; the Wanderers against some Wanderers. Wycombe (a). Sat 3 August - 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 am

Its more as Worthy says - if Oz and Magennis want away still - its not really worth keeping them against their will. Given I suspect they have no love for the football club after the last year, I cannot blame them. But we need players who really want to fight for us. If Oz and Josh can be persuaded to stay and give it a go and their heart is in it then great. But I suspect given their options are reportedly Charlton and Rangers respectively that will be a big ask.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:18 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:14 am
Feels like an any bugger standing, registered and able to afford boots (given some of them haven't been paid), sort of team. Whilst I've been generally supportive of them trying to get their due monies, it should be noted, to support BWFCi's point, that many of the "retainees" have been in the press quoting their mental distress - so I do think there's a point there as to their frame of mind, without it being a vindictive "feck 'em"...
Aye, and again, I sympathise. But much of the "mindframe" stuff has been about uncertainty. Once they've got new owners, takeover completed, monies paid, that goes and we all crack the f*ck on. Again, if not them, then who? No squad to promote from, barely any kids to promote. It's not perfect but it'd be a good time to draw a line and move on for the good of everyone.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:19 am

I'm not sure that there's any point in even speculating as to what the team might be just now; I doubt even Parky has much clue.

Hopefully the bloke who takes the P-S-G photos has been paid his wages and is about to put in a double shift :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:26 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:19 am
I'm not sure that there's any point in even speculating as to what the team might be just now; I doubt even Parky has much clue.
Boooo to you, sir. Beats working :D
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hopefully the bloke who takes the P-S-G photos has been paid his wages and is about to put in a double shift :)
I reckon he'll get three or four done in one go at the training ground.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:35 am

Ticket booked and off to support Jason Lowe!

COYWM!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'm not sure that there's any point in even speculating as to what the team might be just now

I spent most of last night searching high & low for the dubbin.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:42 am

Being one of the ones who never abandoned hope, Sing ye Choirboys sing, "Oh Come all Ye Faithful" will do to start with ..COME ON YOU WHITES........
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:48 am

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:35 am

COYWM!
Hoo, that's commercially confident... I'm waiting a while afore whipping out the debit card...

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:51 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:48 am
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:35 am

COYWM!
Hoo, that's commercially confident... I'm waiting a while afore whipping out the debit card...
Me too. Going to give it a couple of days. Shouldn't make a difference with tickets seen as though they're QR codes.

Apparently we've sold just over 500 so far.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 pm

We need Magennis to start to score the winner. JSL

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Anyone know who played left back this pre season? I think Andy Taylor has fcked it off cos he’s a bit too much Arthur scargill!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Jordan Boon I think has been the best guess. Don't think he's a left back though (going purely off football manager!).

Don't think Taylor has popped up anywhere but not heard a peep that he has been involved. He was a class above last time we were in this league.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:00 pm
Don't think Taylor has popped up anywhere but not heard a peep that he has been involved.
It'll be intriguing to see if he comes back, or if he's even invited. He turns 33 on Thursday so he's hardly likely to be flying down the wing, which was never particularly his game anyway, but as you say he was a part of that impressive defensive solidity last time, locking in with Wheavers. And to be honest, this season is more likely to require solidity than Antonee-style overlapping, which all too often comes at the expense of defensive duties.

I wouldn't be distraught to see Taylor back, especially as Parky's record on full-backs (admittedly under restrictions) has more misses than hits: although Pav, Little, Antonee and maybejustabout Flanagan had good spells, the same can't be said of Lewis Buxton, Reece Wabara, Jonathan Grounds and Stephen Darby. (Obviously tragic that the poor bloke got diagnosed with MND but let's be honest, he was top of most people's out-list before then.) In fact Parky's arguably had more success redeploying midfielders and wingers than hiring proper full-backs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Harsh to include Buxton I think. He looked a v good player to me in the couple of games before he got crocked and I'm not sure his injury (wasn't it something to do with his neck) was foreseeable.

Some definite misses in there but for me the two best fullbacks on either flank since we got relegated from the Prem (admittedly in some horrific competition).

Grounds and Darby both good cases for the worst, mind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm
Anyone know who played left back this pre season? I think Andy Taylor has fcked it off cos he’s a bit too much Arthur scargill!
Hope not. He's another player who, I think, is just the sort we could use this season.

As DSB said earlier - as far as the players are concerned it's time to put this behind us and move on. We certainly won't be recruiting a better LB than Taylor, I'm pretty sure of that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Controversial view (nothing to do with us this season we'll take what we can get) - the modern game at all levels now demands full backs who can get up and down and use the ball. The old style of "defend first" simply doesn't cut it. Wingers need the full back giving them an option especially when as is the trend, you use "inverted wide players".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:35 pm

HMX wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 am
I'm tempted to drive up for this one 8)
I'm tempted to drive down. We could make quite an impact - the crash as we hit each other, that is.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm

The word is that 30-year-old, ex-Sheffield United left-back Daniel Lafferty has been training with us. I can't tell you whether he's any good or not but he has plenty of experience at this level and the level above, and spent the second half of last season on loan at Peterborough United.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:34 pm
Controversial view (nothing to do with us this season we'll take what we can get) - the modern game at all levels now demands full backs who can get up and down and use the ball. The old style of "defend first" simply doesn't cut it. Wingers need the full back giving them an option especially when as is the trend, you use "inverted wide players".
Nah. Top end, sure. Still plenty room down here for solid dependables. Even the tier up you're better off with a reliable full back and good winger than a trendy Robinson type with f all in front. (the double no is of course a dependable full back and a bobbins winger ).