Grabbing life by the bullocks. Oxford (H) 17.9.19 KO 8pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Grabbing life by the bullocks. Oxford (H) 17.9.19 KO 8pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 pm
Clean sheet and a point. Gotta be chuffed with that.
Yes absolutely, it sounds like they played some great attacking football as well & created a lot of chances, better than owt we have seen for years - which bodes well, hopefully get some wins on the board as they get fitter. We still desperately need a fit centre forward though.

Sounds like most played really well - especially Buckley, Verlinden, Bridcutt, Wright. As much as Hill's interviews are very strange and I really don't like them, I'll doff my cap to him tonight if this is how he wants us to play & I look forward to watching them on Saturday.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Oh I forgot to say, we've got pace in attack. Real pace.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Has to be a well done for Keith Hill for assembling the rag-tag rovers into a team to be reckoned with. Cap doffed to you sir.! :pray:
Fitness, fitness,fitness....is the key now......
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Much better. All round much better. Better setup and plans. In fairness we tired but I suspect had we not would have won. As it is a draw fair but think they will be relieved to an extent after the first half.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Our first proper performance in what feels like an age. Obviously, we still have a very long way to go and it won't all be plain sailing but, if nothing else, it's a sign that the club's rebuilding process is finally starting to begin. It feels good to be competitive again.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 pm

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Just back last twenty mins was quite tense but I never felt they were going to score. Until that is the 93rd min when but for a worldy tackle the oxford chap would have been clean through.
Very good point and very good performance which bodes well for the future. Still don't understand folk leaving with 5 mins left though, especially when they stop half way through leaving and blocking the view - I had words.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:46 pm

I'd almost forgotten what it was like to enjoy a great game of football and see us play with flair and attacking intent. 0-0 a fair result in the end but tbh with a striker on the pitch we could have been out of sight by half time.

My first sight of the new boys and they all did well.

Bridcutt - wants the ball and orchestrated most of our play.

Wright - a touch of the Zoumas in that his 2nd touch often seems to be a sliding tackle but solid overall.

Emmanuel - had a very good game. Some great attacking play.

Chicksen - grew into the game very well. Wants the ball and not afraid to take his man on.

Crawford - played a couple of great passes and was busy throughout. Faded a bit in the 2nd half.

Verlinden - Wow! He's an exciting lad to watch isn't he? Their back line were terrified of him. A pity he ballooned a chance late in the first half that would have given him a goal his performance deserved. He tired and was rightly taken off in the 2nd half. If he can maintain that level of performance, he won't be here after January but we'll have benefited to some tune.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:24 am

Big shout out to Jason Lowe. Had a really good game in the attacking 4. Played with no fear. Thought he was brilliant.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:31 am

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am

I loved that game of football last night. It was entertaining, easy on the eye and we should have been 4 nil up within the first 20 minutes. Yes we as still a work in progress and we may even get another battering on Saturday, but who knows we will have done some more training on fitness and getting to know each other.
For once I wasn't wanting to get out of there thoroughly bored out of my head, I could have stayed there all night. On to the players, Buckley, who exactly was that player out there last night? It certainly wasn't the one I was had previously groaned out even being in the squad. Yes he should have scored, but he was very good up front. I also like the look of Bridcutt, Verlanden, Crawford, but they all worked hard last night. Work in progress, but I like it

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Not the right thread for this, but I got my ticket for Pompey today. Very much looking forward to it on the back of the reports of last night's game. That said, fully expecting to come down to earth with a BUMP (in the same way that the transfer window SLAMS shut) at 5pm on Saturday.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:35 pm

I was at a conference the last two days in Leeds. I drove back for the match last night and then drove back to Leeds afterwards. A few of the delegates looked at me with pity when I said it finished 0-0. No nowt numpties :D

Got my Pompey tickets today too. New ground for me that :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 pm

I knew Hill wouldn't let us down. Sounds like he played a blinder.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Having won 6-0 at Lincoln on Saturday, Oxford have now done West Ham 4-0 in the League Cup.