FV Recruitment Model

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55 am

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Branagan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 pm
SJM's always one to come down on the side of the supporters (most notably during the Anderson situation). I wonder if now having to toe the club line might conflict him a little?
To be fair, siding with the supporters during the KA debacle was really just siding with sanity and decency.

As for binning off the U23s, I get it: at 18 players need to be ready to play or be sold for a profit. Any that we think aren't quite there but could be very soon can be loaned out for competitive football. Sounds sensible.

Lee and Phillips were big parts of the first Bolton team I supported and I hope they still warrant a role in this new approach but, with no inside knowledge, that's just sentimentality. If they're not needed, we need to move forward.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Young left-back Jordan Boon (19; 20 in November) leaves the club - for Sweden, on work placement.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/ ... wanderers/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:02 pm

The possibility of all football being suspended indefinitely is increasing with UEFA meeting on Tuesday to discuss all football at domestic, European and international level.

Should this happen - and given this is likely to be for a period of more than a few weeks - is there any chance we will escape relegation?

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4160
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by DJBlu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:02 pm
The possibility of all football being suspended indefinitely is increasing with UEFA meeting on Tuesday to discuss all football at domestic, European and international level.

Should this happen - and given this is likely to be for a period of more than a few weeks - is there any chance we will escape relegation?
Was discussing this in work yesterday, I can't imagine they would stop relegation and promotion, imagine the backlash.

Maybe leave it as it is, then when the virus buggers off maybe play the playoffs.

There's going to be some pretty pissed off teams either way but who knows.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:53 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:02 pm
The possibility of all football being suspended indefinitely is increasing with UEFA meeting on Tuesday to discuss all football at domestic, European and international level.

Should this happen - and given this is likely to be for a period of more than a few weeks - is there any chance we will escape relegation?
Was discussing this in work yesterday, I can't imagine they would stop relegation and promotion, imagine the backlash.

Maybe leave it as it is, then when the virus buggers off maybe play the playoffs.

There's going to be some pretty pissed off teams either way but who knows.
No way they can do that. Way I see it is 3 options:

Carry on playing - risk is that players get it forcing games off anyway or governments ban it anyway.

Suspend games with hope of completing season later/over summer when infection rates MAY be lower.

Cancel season and reset next season, as you were.

I can't see how they can leave league tables as they are and relegate and promote teams based on unfinished leagues - legal challenges would destroy EFL and premier league.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 pm

The only fair option is postponement, surely. Shift the Euros to next summer, finish this season in June.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:32 pm

I liked the suggestion of a possible banner at Old Trafford next season

'Covid 19, Liverpool 18'

:D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:54 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 pm
The only fair option is postponement, surely. Shift the Euros to next summer, finish this season in June.
But your assumption is season could be finished in June. This thing isn't a few weeks - as politicians keep saying today this is a long term problem. We're trying to slow spread out over summer - will football be feasible in June? Possibly but not definitely. Then what?

Athertonian
Promising
Promising
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Athertonian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 pm

It's not looking good for sporting events with football seeming to will follow sooner than later. Will Bolton's game V Peterbrorough be played of postponed, or even played behind closed doors. What ever does happen at this stage in the season could be worry for the club once again.
Do FV have the finances to keep the club afloat during these difficult circumstances, what if the season has to be placed on hold?
They are worrying times for people like myself who are in their 60s with respiratory problems. Should Saturday's game go ahead, do I attend?
By following the current trend will all games be postponed for a couple of Months? What ever happens will make one hell of a mess to sporting fixtures.
Stay safe folks.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4160
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by DJBlu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Imagine the scenes if the season is declared null and void.

I think the EFL would implode at the thought we might not go down. I would shudder to think what would be said.

Leeds missing out again, Liverpool missing out on the Premier League and we stay up to play league one next season.

Some seriously sadistic football gods if that happens.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Athertonian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:23 pm

That is a probable outcome, more so as these day's progress. Scary times.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:40 am

It puts a couple of teams playing our kids into perspective. Then again, so do our results with a senior pros team!
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am

This weekend's games about to go.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am

Season likely to be suspended until 4th April apparently. Situation will be reviewed after that date.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am

Our games won't be called of as we're rarely within two yards of any feck* else :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am
Our games won't be called of as we're rarely within two yards of any feck* else :)


Indeed. And when was the last time Matthews caught anything? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am
Season likely to be suspended until 4th April apparently. Situation will be reviewed after that date.
This has been confirmed by the EFL.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23843
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am
Season likely to be suspended until 4th April apparently. Situation will be reviewed after that date.
This has been confirmed by the EFL.
Are they going to dock themselves 12 points, for being unable to fulfill fixtures?

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am
Season likely to be suspended until 4th April apparently. Situation will be reviewed after that date.
This has been confirmed by the EFL.
Are they going to dock themselves 12 points, for being unable to fulfill fixtures?
It's an amusing idea but what's less chucklesome is how likely we are to get all 91 (sadface) teams through - what, a month? Two? Three? - of no income. Yes, they manage through summer, but they can plan for that.

Most businesses outside the big 'uns (and even some there) are run on a just-in-time, month-to-month basis. Most of them don't have overwhelming overheads and, in the case of many Championship clubs, wages exceeding turnover. Don't be surprised if the financial shakedown from this makes the summer Bolton/Bury show seem like a warm-up.

Some very big decisions to be made. Do TV companies decide to pay their rights slices up front for games they've not yet shown and may not get rearranged? How would their shareholders feel? There's going to be a lot of footballers going unpaid, and while I know they're not exactly drenched in public sympathy, this could cause a few clubs to wobble alarmingly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:15 am

May the bridges I burn light your way

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests