You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Similar to my Tranmere mate's appraisal. Also mentioned the booing, and was very complimentary of Politic's goal. We try to be civil and usually manage it!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 pm
Similar to my Tranmere mate's appraisal. Also mentioned the booing, and was very complimentary of Politic's goal. We try to be civil and usually manage it!

Done time, have you? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 pm

It was incredibly satisfying to hear opposition fans booing their own team for once, rather than us booing ours.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:04 pm
Enjoyed reading this Tranmere blog

http://www.roversrearguard.com/news/and ... -disaster/
What followed was the worst performance by a Rovers team since the 2015-16 season at best, at worst the relegation season of the year before that. Devoid of leadership and creativity, Tranmere were 1-0 down at the break to League One’s bottom side. While we were poor, we had enough of the ball in the first period for it not to be a write-off.

However, in the second period, things went downhill. While the score finished only 2-0, it could and should have been much worse. Rovers were abysmal, disgraceful some would say. The lack of fight in the second half was a considerable concern – too many players were simply yards away from what should have been 50/50 tackles and loose balls. Was it a lack of fight, lack of interest, lack of leadership or were the players tired following the recent run of games? Either way, it was utterly abject and some of the individual performances bordered on embarrassing. It is not acceptable, and Rovers were booed off.
Part of their problem is they're in a bit of denial - lolz. When they talk about "League One's bottom side", that's factually correct. What it doesn't tell you though is we have won more points that both Southend and Tranmere (now) this season with 23.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:32 am

Emmanuel was motm for me. I thought he had a fantastic game. Points deducted for O'Grady's spurning of an earlier chance in which he looked to take a controlling touch rather than trying to finish it first time, and also Politic for having his socks rolled over his knee caps. As critical as I have been about Chicksen's treatment, I can now see as to why Hill brought Fleming in, who I think's been excellent. Bryan slotted into the back four like he'd been there all season.
How come Matthews has started punching balls which look easier to catch? Anyone any idea?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:32 am
Emmanuel was motm for me. I thought he had a fantastic game. Points deducted for O'Grady's spurning of an earlier chance in which he looked to take a controlling touch rather than trying to finish it first time, and also Politic for having his socks rolled over his knee caps. As critical as I have been about Chicksen's treatment, I can now see as to why Hill brought Fleming in, who I think's been excellent. Bryan slotted into the back four like he'd been there all season.
How come Matthews has started punching balls which look easier to catch? Anyone any idea?
Matthews' decision-making sometimes astounds me as much as his shot-stopping, but in a very different way.

I think even in a back four HillCroft want full-backs who bomb on, so Emmanuel feels like much more of a fit than Chicksen, solid and welcome as he was. Sounds like Fleming is similar in outlook and, from what I've read, so is Joe Bunney (a former winger/attacker himself).

Hiring players like Bryan (and, controversial/forced as it was, playing Bridcutt at CB) also suggests we want at least one centre-back who's, let's say, more Paul Jones than Sam Allardyce, more Gary Cahill than Zat Knight. Which is not to say we won't want units - eg Delaney - but I get the sense that this management's ideal defence is very different to Parkinson's. Whether it works or not, we'll see...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am
Part of their problem is they're in a bit of denial - lolz. When they talk about "League One's bottom side", that's factually correct. What it doesn't tell you though is we have won more points that both Southend and Tranmere (now) this season with 23.
...which is why I'd be very interested to see what happens if we get on a roll. Sadly the teams just above the dots have started picking up points and are nw on course for more than 1ppg but let's give it a go, see if anyone wobbles. AFCWombles' next few games are Fleetwood (9th), Ipswich (4th), Rotherham (1st), Oxford (8th), Blackpool (15th), Gillingham (12th) then us.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:20 am

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 am

I think even in a back four HillCroft want full-backs who bomb on, so Emmanuel feels like much more of a fit than Chicksen, solid and welcome as he was. Sounds like Fleming is similar in outlook and, from what I've read, so is Joe Bunney (a former winger/attacker himself).

Hiring players like Bryan (and, controversial/forced as it was, playing Bridcutt at CB) also suggests we want at least one centre-back who's, let's say, more Paul Jones than Sam Allardyce, more Gary Cahill than Zat Knight. Which is not to say we won't want units - eg Delaney - but I get the sense that this management's ideal defence is very different to Parkinson's. Whether it works or not, we'll see...
Yep, I'd agree with all of that. Zouma actually fits this model as well, however is handicapped by his naivety. Politic also likes to think he can run through like Iniesta, it's just that when he gets caught in possession it's generally not as expensive as when Zouma does.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Was saying to the Mghty Flanners that I actually think Zouma might be more of a full-back than a centre-back - certainly has that desire to drive on. I expect he'll leave in summer because he's too handicapped by his lack of ability to read the game. Politic has a bit of the same but as you say he's higher up the pitch. Even so, his big development aim for the next year or so (besides tracking back, which he seems to be learning) is to get his head up and become a true team player aware of his mates' runs. We know you can tw*t it from anywhere, Dennis, you don't have to keep trying to prove that. Sometimes - especially when playing more centrally as a 10 - I think he gets too obsessed with finding two yards to shoot that he neglects to find one to pass. Still, very promising.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:48 pm

I wondered if Zouma might be able to do a midfield job actually, at lower league anyway. He’s mobile enough...I’m convinced physically there is a footballer in there, just mentally I guess.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:07 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:48 pm
I wondered if Zouma might be able to do a midfield job actually, at lower league anyway. He’s mobile enough...I’m convinced physically there is a footballer in there, just mentally I guess.
You and me both, Dibs. He's only 21 so he still has time to develop. Maybe a season in Div 4 could be good for both Zouma and Politic?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
The fact that he's coming for the odd cross at all is enough of a change for me, rather than staying rooted to his line despite the ball passing two inches in front of his nose.

I think modern keepers are told to "play it safe" from crosses - too many instances of fumbling the cross or dropping it at the feet of the striker, perhaps. I'm not convinced that punching really eradicates that issue and, like you, there were a couple of occasions on Saturday where it seemed that Remi could have easily caught the bastard thing rather than giving it the right hook. My nerves would have thanked him

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:52 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The fact that he's coming for the odd cross at all is enough of a change for me, rather than staying rooted to his line despite the ball passing two inches in front of his nose.

I think modern keepers are told to "play it safe" from crosses - too many instances of fumbling the cross or dropping it at the feet of the striker, perhaps. I'm not convinced that punching really eradicates that issue and, like you, there were a couple of occasions on Saturday where it seemed that Remi could have easily caught the bastard thing rather than giving it the right hook. My nerves would have thanked him
Just been thinking about this a little more. We have a new Goalie coach, don't we? I wonder if that's what he's been advised to do?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm

You saying it’s official Pollitt-cy?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Matthews' decision-making sometimes astounds me as much as his shot-stopping, but in a very different way.

So, by getting in our starting XI, he's punching above his weight?
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:21 pm

Tonight's FT: Tranny 0-3 Donny.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:18 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:21 pm
Tonight's FT: Tranny 0-3 Donny.
Cracking result last night and next up Tranny face Pompey this coming Saturday.