Not enough said Moore....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Not enough said Moore....

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:42 am

Oh, fans have long had it in for some or other player. I remember in Neal’s dog days people taking along home-made “11” substitute numbers to wave at Darby. In the last home game of one of Rioch’s seasons, Mixu felt sufficiently riled by “Burnden boo-boys” to give them a magnificent example of the European up-yours gesture (left arm in crook of right elbow, right fist thrust forcefully upwards) - and Trevor Morgan did a similar gesture a few years earlier.

What I don’t recall is the polarisation of it. We’ve always had oppositional views - manager out v manager in, this player v that player, unconditional support v right to boo - it just feels like disagreement has become more visceral, violent and vindictive. Might be social media. Might be Brexit. Might be a few things. It isn’t pleasant.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:34 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:42 am
Oh, fans have long had it in for some or other player. I remember in Neal’s dog days people taking along home-made “11” substitute numbers to wave at Darby. In the last home game of one of Rioch’s seasons, Mixu felt sufficiently riled by “Burnden boo-boys” to give them a magnificent example of the European up-yours gesture (left arm in crook of right elbow, right fist thrust forcefully upwards) - and Trevor Morgan did a similar gesture a few years earlier.

What I don’t recall is the polarisation of it. We’ve always had oppositional views - manager out v manager in, this player v that player, unconditional support v right to boo - it just feels like disagreement has become more visceral, violent and vindictive. Might be social media. Might be Brexit. Might be a few things. It isn’t pleasant.
This was happening well before Brexit. Its partly societal and probably some of the root societal causes of Brexit and this behaviour are the same - including social media.

But generally I think its modern football fanitis. Entitlement - the media re-enforce it too - listen to say talksport and every night they'll be calling for one big club manager to be sacked or something along those lines. The media now are into every club/manager being either brilliant or hopeless very little shades of grey. You get people who genuinely cannot separate playing a video game from real live sport - you hear it all the time - stuff like "why didn't we respond to their tactical change" as though everything else is equal - as though it isn't down to the limitations of human beings.

We all do it - lets not pretend we're above it. Its more the anger in grounds and almost the "we're entitled to say whatever" attitude that I think is different. The Mixu stuff a good example, lots were told to shut up and stop being idiots and they did - or at least sheepishly went quiet. Nowadays - they'd double down on it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:52 am

When we're talking about "fans of today", it's nothing compared to the weekly ruck in the 70's and early 80's between opposing fans. They didn't need to shout much at the players, it was all directed at the post-match fight.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:04 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:52 am
When we're talking about "fans of today", it's nothing compared to the weekly ruck in the 70's and early 80's between opposing fans. They didn't need to shout much at the players, it was all directed at the post-match fight.
Good point. Its just different. Not better or worse. We're just not acclimatised to it like we were back then.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 am

The behaviour by a fair number of our fans away at Accrington this season was as embarrassing as it was disgusting (lobbing bottles onto the pitch anyone?) And before anyone pipes up with 'we wuz getting tatered', this behaviour was evident before kick-off, and whilst we were one up. Drugged up scrotes in Stone Island clobber giving it the big one. A poorly-bred underclass.
May the bridges I burn light your way