COVID-19/20 season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: COVID-19/20 season

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:20 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:15 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:59 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:49 pm
We don’t - but the level of player we have, I don’t see anyone walking off to join a club with plenty of cash put it that way.
True, Dibs. However, to looks principally Darcy and Politic fer nowt will be particularly galling.
To be clear, Politic is under contract until June 2022, but I know what you're saying - if unpaid, he'd eventually be legally entitled to leave. However, I don't think it'll come to that.
It doesn't matter when he's contracted to. I hope it doesn't come to that also, but it's a huge possibility if we haven't got the brass to pay his wages.
Agreed. Management should point At Luca Connel - both better off here playing. But yeah - short career and all that.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm

If things did get that bleak, I think we'd at least ensure Politic's wages are paid. If only to protect an asset.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:53 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:59 am
Starting where we left off, reduced break and pre season, condense next season? I can hear Pep, Klopp and co with the 50 man squads squeal now...

Every answer has a counter problem.
And theres the rub. Whichever way they jump someone's going to be hugely pissed off.
For me I'd stop this season where we are and then add it on to next season. Gives everyone a chance to improve positions, gives an advantage to those that have done well so far this season. Not perfect, still leaves a few issues to sort, but doesn't disadvantage anyone disproportionately in my view.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Starting where we left off, reduced break and pre season, condense next season? I can hear Pep, Klopp and co with the 50 man squads squeal now...

And theres the rub. Whichever way they jump someone's going to be hugely pissed off.
For me I'd stop this season where we are and then add it on to next season. Gives everyone a chance to improve positions, gives an advantage to those that have done well so far this season. Not perfect, still leaves a few issues to sort, but doesn't disadvantage anyone disproportionately in my view.
So you’d relegate and promote? So Bolton would be way adrift in league two? Better plan needed!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I reckon we'll end up losing a season but spread over the next few years until the 2022 world cup. Then maybe a short 19/23 gamer to get back.

Issue is going to be synchronising seasons across leagues. How does e.g. European football work if say Italy is back to and running by August but Germany still is in lockdown?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:18 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

So you’d relegate and promote? So Bolton would be way adrift in league two? Better plan needed!
No. This season is stopped and is null and void. We start next season if possible and rather than everybody start on 0 points, you start on whatever you were on now with goals for and against. That way the teams that have done well this season start with a commensurate advantage and the Bolton of this world still have a mountain to climb. The only real downside I can see is we'll have played some teams thrice and others 4 by the end of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:18 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

No. This season is stopped and is null and void. We start next season if possible and rather than everybody start on 0 points, you start on whatever you were on now with goals for and against. That way the teams that have done well this season start with a commensurate advantage and the Bolton of this world still have a mountain to climb. The only real downside I can see is we'll have played some teams thrice and others 4 by the end of it.
Interesting. Can’t see it flying for loads of reasons.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:26 pm

I think it’s fair to say there are flaws in every plan. I had not seen that idea though. So respect!

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 pm

If anyone believes the season to begin again in August should give this a bit more thought. I can't see this virus disappearing in time for a new season, It could take over a year for this to clear and safe for folk to mix again. Life as we knew it doesn't exist and wont for a while yet.
I won't visit a pub, supermarket nor anywhere close to a group of people. I'm vulnerable and need to tread with caution. There are many others with asthma who feel the same. It's going to be one hell of a boring hibernation. Sedate me and wake me up this time next year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 pm
If anyone believes the season to begin again in August should give this a bit more thought. I can't see this virus disappearing in time for a new season, It could take over a year for this to clear and safe for folk to mix again. Life as we knew it doesn't exist and wont for a while yet.
I won't visit a pub, supermarket nor anywhere close to a group of people. I'm vulnerable and need to tread with caution. There are many others with asthma who feel the same. It's going to be one hell of a boring hibernation. Sedate me and wake me up this time next year.
Take care mate

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 am

Athertonian wrote:
They are predicting the peak will be May/June. Once you are over the peak then restrictions are less necessary.

Remember the plan isn't to stop people getting it (you can't) but to slow down spread. Once you are over the peak I imagine sport will resume to an extent - what extent is to be determined.

I'd also say just be rational - I'd not be staying in with mild asthma. If you have had a lot of chest infections from your asthma then that's different.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 am
Athertonian wrote:
They are predicting the peak will be May/June. Once you are over the peak then restrictions are less necessary.

Remember the plan isn't to stop people getting it (you can't) but to slow down spread. Once you are over the peak I imagine sport will resume to an extent - what extent is to be determined.

I'd also say just be rational - I'd not be staying in with mild asthma. If you have had a lot of chest infections from your asthma then that's different.

How long have you been a doctor?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Was listening to Rishi Sunak yesterday evening announcing his 350 billion war chest. Much of this will be used to help prop up sectors whose incomes have fallen of a cliff - chiefly leisure, catering and entertainment. Do we think this might also extend to football clubs?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:37 pm
Was listening to Rishi Sunak yesterday evening announcing his 350 billion war chest. Much of this will be used to help prop up sectors whose incomes have fallen of a cliff - chiefly leisure, catering and entertainment. Do we think this might also extend to football clubs?
If they're paying any attention to public sympathy then football is towards the back of a very long queue, perhaps jostling with journalism and Foxtons.

Yes, lots of us like it. But it's hardly like football's strapped for cash - it just doesn't distribute it equably enough. And yes, I do think clubs are going to go under - but so are a lot of businesses.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
If they're paying any attention to public sympathy then football is towards the back of a very long queue, perhaps jostling with journalism and Foxtons.

Yes, lots of us like it. But it's hardly like football's strapped for cash - it just doesn't distribute it equably enough. And yes, I do think clubs are going to go under - but so are a lot of businesses.
Your thoughts echo my own, DSB. I'd really like to hear something from FV regarding our financial situation though.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 pm
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Your thoughts echo my own, DSB. I'd really like to hear something from FV regarding our financial situation though.
Question is who are FV? Do they really exist? Never heard much.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:41 pm

According to Companies House they do https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11761052

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm

EFL is providing £50m, which seems to be a combination of advance payment of money due at the end of the season and interest free loans.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... 19-crisis/
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:20 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:41 pm

According to Companies House they do https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11761052
Was being sarky Bruce :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Nothing before the 30th April now at the earliest.