We'll meet you outside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

We'll meet you outside

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm

As we're all trapped in lockdown with only the company of our cohabitees and the electric blink of our screens, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could talk about the real world days out, friendships, meetings etc we have had through this excellent website.

I've even managed a couple of real life friendships out of this. In fact Verbal/MrKint/KeyserSoze whatever he calls himself next time he locks himself out is now one of my closest friends in "real life". Though I still struggle to explain it to my mum. "What do you mean you met him on the internet?".

Only cruel fate denied the world the chance to see The Darren Pratley Appreciation Society grace the nation's screens on Only Connect. We tried our best, but ultimately weren't quite good enough. Made the big man proud. But the practice events with Verbal and mwciec were still great fun.

Met the musical duo a couple of times too including a glorious day in the Famous Cock in Highbury Corner a couple of years ago that I still refer to as my best ever day of drinking. (And a pub in which I very briefly had the pleasure of WtW's company as he tried to work out how Tory Boy Crayons and teen commie Pru found themselves in the respective side of Corbyn project as they did.

Can't get rid of those Enoch and Tony chaps though. Brentford and QPR highlights.

DSB is all right too, as it goes. His calm analysis made that walk back from Craven Cottage a little easier.

Had some lovely days too with others. Have met GtE, the Bish. Good old Dan.

I'm Facebook friends with Bruce though I don't think we've ever met. And I have Facebook conversations with a certain clown even though we're not even "friends".

What are your own favourite days? And if Bobo asks, tell him we're outside.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: We'll meet you outside

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 08, 2020 3:36 pm

My induction was at a midweek game at QPR - I think it was about six years ago. I met Enoch in a pub near Oxford Circus and then we joined up with a crowd off here in a pub at Shepherds Bush both before and after the game (we lost).

There have been many encounters since then, the most recent being Wimbledon this season with Lever End, Keyser and a few others.

Pru, to your list, I'd add Charlton (the Antigallican!) and Fulham on the last day of the 2015-16 season. In the pub (Eight Bells, obvs) at something like 10.30am (12.30 ko). We went back in there post-match and I eventually left you & Enoch as you started on your 10th pint. It was about 5.30pm.

Oh, and that day out at Port Vale and night in Southend towards the end of the D1 promotion season were pretty epic for - would you believe it? - footballing reasons.

I saw Dan at Wimbledon. I've never encountered Bruce, but they say you should never meet your heroes.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Oh yes. My only memory of that Fulham game is the fun police taking away someone's inflatable, and then watching Wes Morgan lift the Premier League title. Incredible.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri May 08, 2020 9:28 pm

Many happy memories.

I think it started with me hanging around on a street corner waiting for a slightly overdue DSb. Having done battle with family duties and best part of half the M25, he picked me up and we set off up the A12 toward Portman Road. An encyclopedic well of football knowledge, all round nice fella and half decent driver to boot, top man. If it wasn't that day it was an occasion when I floated a spare ticket which Mummy swept up. I met him, Kint and Pru at the Antigallican and we no doubt endured a defeat at The Valley. My memory has always been shit and in my dotage it's all but non existent.

There have been a good few trips since with hopefully a few to come. I've met plenty of nice folk, some who's usernames I've long forgotten but some I can remember. Our very own comedy double act, Lever End & Burnden Paddock a couple of times, GtE in the back of a stand somewhere, nothing happened! A very pleasant couple of hours with the Bish, Shepherds Bush I think, Devon White and his Dad? Dan of course. I bumped into him in Wolverhampton once in his teetotal days and enjoyed an hour or so with him. He introduced me to half a dozen outliers but I wouldn't have remembered their names by kick off, much less today. Both Dougie's Eleven and Lennon's Eleven. Capslock, who I bump into at least once a season, General Mannerheim once in a Shepherd's Bush pub, I think Batman one time and very nearly TKIZ. I might have met a few more if the Clown was better at herding cats. Apologise to those I can't remember, it's nothing personal.

Get 'em in, Domingos!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Met a fair few of you over the years and been to quite a few southern Bolton away games - mostly for the company and a day away from the kids then the quality of football tbh :wink: I have had a few ups and downs posting here yet met some of my closest friends and had some good days out, though LE making Park run look like a piece of piss after a night spent out drinking was somewhat sickening.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 11, 2020 1:06 pm

I haven't met anyone from here...….nor do I wish to.

Apart from erm….. Bruce/ Burnden Paddock/ Bobo/ The Bish/ Lever End/ Mummy/ Prufrock/ GG/ Samhater (in Madrid)/ DSB/ Enoch and WtW

and anyone else I've forgotten.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 pm

That'd be me then :cry: :P :mrgreen:

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, let alone who I've met from here. Apologies for missing some of you out. GtE, Bruce, Verbs or whatever he's called these days. DSB, Bish, Boris, Tango and Marshall42?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 pm

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, let alone who I've met from here. Apologies for missing some of you out. GtE, Bruce, Verbs or whatever he's called these days. DSB, Bish, Boris, Tango and Marshall42?
Yes..... yes it would. :D

Sorry mate. X

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Yes..... yes it would. :D

Sorry mate. X
Yer forgiven :mrgreen:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Got no friends on here. I tried to organise a get together once, hence the title of this thread
Pfffft.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm
Got no friends on here. I tried to organise a get together once, hence the title of this thread

At least I have you a name check.
:D

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat May 23, 2020 2:34 am

TKIZ! wrote:

At least I gave you a name check!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm

I probably passed Tkiz heading outside to where everyone else was. Also met Keveh, bloke who ran the site before Keveh (who I think emigrated to Oz?), Mummy, Batty, Ginge, Boris, Brucie, Enfield, DSB, Tango, M42, Bobo, Bijou Bob, Harry (who was I think with Lever and BP) and WtW.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:34 am
TKIZ! wrote:

At least I gave you a name check!
True, it's enough to give me a complex though :wink:
Pfffft.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 27, 2020 1:35 pm

Just saw this and thought Pru was offering someone (Ngog?) a scrap in the car park.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Met plenty off here, referred to by BP's daughter as his 'football boyfriend'.
My matchgoing mate likes to tell people about my 'internet men with their weird made up names'. (He hasn't met GG so offence there!)

First meet up was with Bruce at a gig. We'd been chatting on here before realising that I was old mates with his brother and we'd probably met before. Then I was at the one where we all.hid from TKIZ at Barnstormers and most recently met Keysersoze and Tony D at Wimbledon which was a pleasure.
I think it's all perfectly normal.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 27, 2020 4:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm
My matchgoing mate likes to tell people about my 'internet men with their weird made up names'. (He hasn't met GG so offence there!)

First meet up was with Bruce at a gig. We'd been chatting on here before realising that I was old mates with his brother and we'd probably met before. Then I was at the one where we all.hid from TKIZ at Barnstormers and most recently met Keysersoze and Tony D at Wimbledon which was a pleasure.
I think it's all perfectly normal.
:D Hope we can get another park run in before you return up north - or one where I watch you, Ellie and Jack put the effort in before eating brekkie with you all

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed May 27, 2020 6:02 pm

Haven’t been on here for a while now, it’s been much more interesting on mumsnet 😁 Met lots of folk from here over the years, since moving over from Bolton Banter, most of whom it’s been a pleasure to talk to. Some great European away days in Marseille and Guimaraes with folk from here - that Vaz Te goal will remain one of the most intense experiences I’ve ever had and the evenings in France pre and post match have left me with some very fond memories.

I’ve sort of lost a bit of my interest in the footie, I’ve had so much going on, but will probably have a ST next season and a few away days. It’ll be nice to see some old faces again.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu May 28, 2020 10:40 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Damn straight, you were! We’ll always have Liverpool and our time in that shrine of a club!

Knew one or two from Bolton Banter and now a few more from here. #wankerstoaman

Strangest one was being approached by GtE at Bolton Parkrun and asked if I was Burnden Paddock!

Made some very good friends over the years.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:40 am
LeverEnd wrote:

I once told my wife I was getting a lift from Enoch to a game at MK Dons. Her response was, "So, you're getting into a car with an older man you met on the internet?"

I'm banned from giving life advice to our 9 year old.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!