Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Little Green Man
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4469
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Justin Edinburgh

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 pm
General Mannerheim wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:32 am
Bit of a shrewd move to unveil the marquee Delfounso signing so soon after the Jak Hickman announcement... young Jak seems to have gotten away with it!!
Sorry, I've missed summat here. What is it that young Jak's (is that really how it's spelled? fecking hell fire) 'gotten away with'?

He slagged off his previous employers via social media and so he was sent to Coventry by the club. Except he was already at Coventry, so he was sent away instead.

Or something like that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20660
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:32 am
Bit of a shrewd move to unveil the marquee Delfounso signing so soon after the Jak Hickman announcement... young Jak seems to have gotten away with it!!
Also, welcome back you cynical bastard.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36460
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 pm
https://youtu.be/Zt9fVUmwLwI

It's probably not worth the watch tbf. Young footballer, too rich too soon, makes c*nt of himself.

Imagine Alan Stubbs if he was off his tits and, you know, hadn't done anything in the game yet.

But I mean he's still a kid even now. Clean slate for me.
Has anyone tested his piss? 🤔
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20660
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:51 am

The first time i wrote it I was more specific than "off his tits" but then panicked that both he might read this forum and might also be more litigious than that video would suggest :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 am

Got to say the club appear to have played a blinder with the new salary cap, appears we are allowed to use the league average of 68k a player for everyone signed before yesterday which by my reckoning is 884k not including Baptiste. Still gives quite some wiggle room in this and the next window.

Hats off to those working at the top for sorting out the transfers and not sitting on their backsides dithering.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24506
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:49 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 am
Got to say the club appear to have played a blinder with the new salary cap, appears we are allowed to use the league average of 68k a player for everyone signed before yesterday which by my reckoning is 884k not including Baptiste. Still gives quite some wiggle room in this and the next window.

Hats off to those working at the top for sorting out the transfers and not sitting on their backsides dithering.
:lol: :lol:

knobpolisher
Promising
Promising
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: Sunny Southport

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 am

884k cant be right, or I misunderstand. The new players may come to that average figure but what about those already contracted?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:06 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 am
884k cant be right, or I misunderstand. The new players may come to that average figure but what about those already contracted?
There will be (I assume) 10 other squad members, all on less than or equal to the limit of the 68k average. I highly doubt those already on contracts will be near to that. So in theory will probs add another 300-400k?

Total just under 1.3 million. Well on target. This isn't including players that will potentially go out on loan.

Even if all the 23 man squad are on the 68k average then we're on a 1.564 million budget for the season. Which I assume is highly unlikely.

Bang on business if you ask me.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19233
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:00 pm

The only senior contracted player to predate Evatt is Ryan Delaney; the others signed before the boss were Alexander, Brockbank, Senior, Graham, King-Harmes, Thomason, Faal, Edwards, Darcy and Politic. Can't imagine any of those were on budget-busting wages; FV predates them all.

I haven't had time to read around the new protocol but if I understand DJBlu (welcome back mate, been a while) then the £68k average is presumably per annum so £1,307 per week. Delaney's wage might top that, but not by much, and despite the scramble for Darcy I can't see any of the kids' wages being higher than the stated, voted average of the division we were headed into when most of them signed. (I think Brocky and Politic might have signed at the arse-end of the Champo, but the others signed when we were plainly In Trouble if not already down.)

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding the Polisher's point, won't the rule covering "those already contracted" include players predating Evatt?

One other thing: it has been pointed out that we got our business done uncapped, then voted for a cap which will hamper others hoping to go large. That's cute.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6342
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Thank you.

He did a drunken video from some pool bar in Tenerife. Wasn’t so much the slagging off Coventry, he said at one point ‘feck Cov’ but it was all the other stuff that was embarrassing, rubbing coke into his gums, going on about f*ckin all these bitches and waving wads of cash about that sort of thing...

I’ve not seen it but they were discussing it on the ‘I had trials once’ Podcast a while ago. From what they were saying they’ll be surprised he’s found another club!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6342
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Actually, if you can bring yourself to visit The Sun - it’s on there! Don’t think I wanna watch it tho tbh

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19233
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... then-next/
"I still think we’re two or three light,” Evatt told The Bolton News. “I’d like to see another couple at the top end of the pitch and possibly some competition at left wing-back. Other than that, we’re not far away I don’t think."

User avatar
sonicthewhite
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm
Location: Telford

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Here's a bit of a radical thought? Seeing as he's stated that he wants another couple of bodies for further up the pitch and possibly another defender or two would it be beyond the realms of possibility that he's considering sending Alexander out on loan as one of those to make space? It's pointless carrying three keepers and I reckon Gilks might end up playing more than first thought. Crellin is playing so that's a given and I can't see the point in having registered Gilks now just to tie up a space. So sending Alexander out on loan with a recall clause inserted to the deal would actually make a lot more sense. If there is an injury then we would only need to wait 24hrs to get our man back to the club and hopefully the game time he would get being on loan would keep him match fit. Just an idea mind.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19233
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:11 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:23 pm
Here's a bit of a radical thought? Seeing as he's stated that he wants another couple of bodies for further up the pitch and possibly another defender or two would it be beyond the realms of possibility that he's considering sending Alexander out on loan as one of those to make space? It's pointless carrying three keepers and I reckon Gilks might end up playing more than first thought. Crellin is playing so that's a given and I can't see the point in having registered Gilks now just to tie up a space. So sending Alexander out on loan with a recall clause inserted to the deal would actually make a lot more sense. If there is an injury then we would only need to wait 24hrs to get our man back to the club and hopefully the game time he would get being on loan would keep him match fit. Just an idea mind.
Seems possible to me if he's happy that Crellin can be our No.1 and that Alexander would do better with first-team men's football somewhere than warming our bench and playing U18s.

No idea what's going on with squad slots now, but I'd be very surprised if we've forgotten. Even so, if I were manager of someone like Altrincham – freshly promoted to Division Five – I'd be assessing just how good these kids are and whether to borrow two or three at a time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27076
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 am

Sounds like plan is to loan kids to non-league so they can get experience but still train with us part time.

Evatt has his head screwed on. I absolutely agree with him that the kids weren't ready for men's football and he's right that they need to prove themselves.

brommers95
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:32 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL Akeem Hinds, 20 year old LB/LWB who came through the Rotherham youth setup. A name that I haven't heard crop up yet. He's played an alarming lack of football over the past few years if Wiki stats are to be believed, but it does seem like the type of moneyball signing Mr Evatt is into.

Would imagine he would be the backup to Liam Gordon if signed.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19233
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:01 pm

Interesting link. That would be two 'Moneyballers' in the one position, whereas our usual MO has been to get one League-experienced stalwart and one Moneyballer per position. Maybe Liam Gordon's apparently impressive first two games have suggested to TP/IE that we can dispense with the safer option?

Couple of things I've heard give me the sense that Bunney isn't being signed. The delay suggests either concerns or other targets; I've heard that Evatt talked to Bunney on the Bamber Bridge pitch after the game and the player's body language thereafter didn't exactly sing of impending captaincy; and a Twitterer with a good track record has noted/hinted that not all the trialists were invited to go south to the camp.

As for Hinds - he's only 20 so the lack of games isn't too much of a worry. He also seems to have been sent out on a couple of short one-month loans – so that looks like another couple of clubs where he's not really played, but he has: he just got recalled by his parent club. Six-footer as well, which helps when defending and attacking set-pieces.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19233
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:14 pm

Bit more digging on AKEEM HINDS.

• Born in Sheffield (with the accent to match) on 26 Nov 99.

• Joins Blades academy at 13, switches to Rotherham at 15.

• Oct 2017: Makes first-team debut, aged 17 and not yet pro, in EFL Trophy – but only ever makes three more first-team apps for the Millers, all in that competition.

• Jun 2018: Gets one-year pro deal, after Rotherham's promotion to second tier.

• Sep 2018, aged 18: to eighth-tier Frickley for a month's youth loan; plays four games.

• Mar 2019, aged 19: to seventh-tier Hyde United for a month's youth loan; plays four games.

• May 2019: one-season contract extension after Rotherham's relegation to second tier.
“I think as the season has gone on, you can see the gaffer and the first-team staff have looked to give some of the younger lads a chance... this is a great place to be at the moment as I look to kick on in the early stages of my career. I think I have a great opportunity now to work hard, and show that I am capable of getting into the first team.”

• Aug 2019: With captain Joe Mattock settled at left-back, Hinds joins sixth-tier Bradford Park Avenue on a six-month loan. Starts all four games, then Rotherham recall him.

• Jan 2020: now aged 20, after five years have brought four starts, five unused sub slots and three short loans, he leaves Rotherham by mutual consent. Rotherham’s first-team development coach Matt Hamshaw: “It's been great to work with Akeem and help him to make the transition from the Academy to the senior setup. He came to see us and informed us about an opportunity elsewhere, and he believes it is the right time to move on in his career. Of course we didn't want to stand in his way and everyone, from myself, the gaffer and all the rest of the staff, wish him all the best for the future. I'm sure whatever Akeem puts his mind to, it will be a success."
The opportunity is at Lincoln. “We have given Akeem a six-month contract to put a bit of pressure on Max [Melbourne] and in case he gets injured because we needed cover in that position," explained boss Michael Appleton. "It's an opportunity for him to come in and press Max as hard as he can.”
Interviewed on joining Lincoln, Hinds says: "I like to get forward, I like to put crosses in the box."

• May 2020: One of 11 out-of-contract players released by Lincoln. "Due to the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in, it has made making any positive decisions around out of contract players impossible at this time."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27076
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:01 pm
Interesting link. That would be two 'Moneyballers' in the one position, whereas our usual MO has been to get one League-experienced stalwart and one Moneyballer per position. Maybe Liam Gordon's apparently impressive first two games have suggested to TP/IE that we can dispense with the safer option?

Couple of things I've heard give me the sense that Bunney isn't being signed. The delay suggests either concerns or other targets; I've heard that Evatt talked to Bunney on the Bamber Bridge pitch after the game and the player's body language thereafter didn't exactly sing of impending captaincy; and a Twitterer with a good track record has noted/hinted that not all the trialists were invited to go south to the camp.

As for Hinds - he's only 20 so the lack of games isn't too much of a worry. He also seems to have been sent out on a couple of short one-month loans – so that looks like another couple of clubs where he's not really played, but he has: he just got recalled by his parent club. Six-footer as well, which helps when defending and attacking set-pieces.
I frankly am not too worried about experience - especially in a wing back. The key attribute is getting up and down and youthful energy is key to that imo over perhaps more experience in positioning - I think the role is far less about positioning that a traditional full back and far more about recovery. Ricardo Gardner was IMO not the best reader of a game or the most alert in terms of taking up a defensive position but he made a GREAT left back because he was quick and very good at getting round on the cover. I suspect that you ask someone like Simon Charlton who was a supreme positional defender and reader of the game in front of him to play LWB and its a big problem.

The longer term future of the club has to be balanced too, so signing Hinds and Gordon might make much better investment than Bunney.

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:14 pm
Bit more digging on AKEEM HINDS.

• Born in Sheffield (with the accent to match) on 26 Nov 99.

• Joins Blades academy at 13, switches to Rotherham at 15.

• Oct 2017: Makes first-team debut, aged 17 and not yet pro, in EFL Trophy – but only ever makes three more first-team apps for the Millers, all in that competition.

• Jun 2018: Gets one-year pro deal, after Rotherham's promotion to second tier.

• Sep 2018, aged 18: to eighth-tier Frickley for a month's youth loan; plays four games.

• Mar 2019, aged 19: to seventh-tier Hyde United for a month's youth loan; plays four games.

• May 2019: one-season contract extension after Rotherham's relegation to second tier.
“I think as the season has gone on, you can see the gaffer and the first-team staff have looked to give some of the younger lads a chance... this is a great place to be at the moment as I look to kick on in the early stages of my career. I think I have a great opportunity now to work hard, and show that I am capable of getting into the first team.”

• Aug 2019: With captain Joe Mattock settled at left-back, Hinds joins sixth-tier Bradford Park Avenue on a six-month loan. Starts all four games, then Rotherham recall him.

• Jan 2020: now aged 20, after five years have brought four starts, five unused sub slots and three short loans, he leaves Rotherham by mutual consent. Rotherham’s first-team development coach Matt Hamshaw: “It's been great to work with Akeem and help him to make the transition from the Academy to the senior setup. He came to see us and informed us about an opportunity elsewhere, and he believes it is the right time to move on in his career. Of course we didn't want to stand in his way and everyone, from myself, the gaffer and all the rest of the staff, wish him all the best for the future. I'm sure whatever Akeem puts his mind to, it will be a success."
The opportunity is at Lincoln. “We have given Akeem a six-month contract to put a bit of pressure on Max [Melbourne] and in case he gets injured because we needed cover in that position," explained boss Michael Appleton. "It's an opportunity for him to come in and press Max as hard as he can.”
Interviewed on joining Lincoln, Hinds says: "I like to get forward, I like to put crosses in the box."

• May 2020: One of 11 out-of-contract players released by Lincoln. "Due to the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in, it has made making any positive decisions around out of contract players impossible at this time."
Great info DSB. Another "who dis?" when I saw Akeem's name name pop up. We are all excited about the squad, 75% of whom I have never heard about before or seen play apart from youtube, I just hope that if we get battered in a couple of early games, we remain behind them, because how they are being asked to play by the boss will take time. Unbeaten for the season?? No way. Top 2.. I hope. Top 6 - definitely.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests