Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:31 am

Good to see. Sonny Graham will need some game-time too. Someone online claimed yesterday that Sonny was "on trial at Colls" - not sure how reliable that is, but as of last season they're in the same division (NPL Prem, tier 7) as Bamber Bridge.

Adam Senior, too. Maybe even Matty Alexander, if it's deemed it would be better for him to get game-time than watch from our bench –Gilks could be the spare man and come on if necessary, and presumably the loan arrangement would allow us to play Alexander if need be (eg injury/suspension for Crellin).

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 pm

As impressed and pleasantly surprised as I've been with recruitment, I must admit I struggle with the goalkeeper situation.
Crellin is a baby in GK terms, has next to no league experience and looks very shaky. Why not get an experienced keeper in and use our own youngster from time to time? Are we likely to get to keep him? I can see Gilks being called upon more than planned.
And what happened to Jake Turner?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 pm
As impressed and pleasantly surprised as I've been with recruitment, I must admit I struggle with the goalkeeper situation.
Crellin is a baby in GK terms, has next to no league experience and looks very shaky. Why not get an experienced keeper in and use our own youngster from time to time? Are we likely to get to keep him? I can see Gilks being called upon more than planned.
And what happened to Jake Turner?
Jake went haway up tha Toon and is now on loan from them at Morecambe.

Yeah, goalkeeper is the most obviously dodgy bit of the side. Evatt couldn't sweep the stairs at his age, never mind play sweeper-keeper behind a high line. I've no idea how good Crellin is, but if he were ready for League football you'd think he'd be there challenging Alex Cairns at Fleetwood and not here. Cairns isn't a particularly good player, so the fact Crellin wasn't seen as likely to even get a shot this term is concerning. Regardless, I don't think Gilks is the answer either. I think we've just decided not to throw any money at that position and we think Crellin will do for a bit.

It is what it is, though. I have concerns about the way we will be recruiting generally, just because I don't think that player stats tell you enough about players in an open, team sport like football; but I'm prepared to give them time to prove me wrong. It's not like we are in a position to argue and we are in less of a state than I feared. I may just be a Luddite.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:19 pm

To be fair, and without passing comment on Crellin specifically, it’s becoming increasingly common for clubs to recruit young goalkeepers.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:52 pm

I think when it goes well it will be great to watch and goals galore, but can see some absolute spankings as well. I'm prepared to take the rough with the smooth.
We seem to have signed some giant defenders who are "lightning quick" and "good with the ball at their feet", which makes you wonder why they're available to us!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:18 pm

For the state of the club (restrictions, non-existent squad etc) we've done really well.

We can field 10 league outfield players now and I was genuinely worried we'd not be able to do that. We've brought in two of the best players from this league last season and kept Crawford who, in theory, is too good for this division.

That doesn't mean there aren't loads of obvious issues, though, and we need to give IE and his team plenty of time to develop and work through the issues they'll have. Every player we have is in this division for a reason and some are arguably lucky to be getting a chance above non-league. We also need more in.

I've no idea if we've got a team his time, or just another collection of players. I doubt Evatt knows yet, either. It's going to be a really interesting season and if we manage a bit of a cup run and midtable I'll be happy for now. Obviously if we piss the league I'll be fine with that too.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Yep, definitely keen on the pissing the league option 😁

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm

They've confirmed that King-Harmes and Thomason have joined Bamber Bridge on youth loans.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:33 pm

Haven't seen Crellin and cant judge him based on youtube highlights when goals are conceded. Goalkeepers are almost always blamed for goals since they are expected to be supermen. Didn't seem to do much wrong to me in the Crewe highlights. I did notice that he takes up positions like a sweeper, standing just outside of his goal area when the ball is in the opposition half. That's seems to be what the gaffer wants .. a keeper who can play sweeper.

We are a D4 team in case we forget, so nothing wrong with a young keeper dropping down the ladder to get some experience. Isn't he an English Youth International? I will reserve judgement until I see him play.

Many of us rated Mathews yet did you see the "clanger" he made in his Sunderland Debut?? Mistakes will be made by all players. Doesn't make them bad players when they make them. Mistakes by forwards are forgotten quickly. Keepers... God help them when they make theirs.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Linked with a season long loan for Nugent. Along with Northampton and someone else who I forget. Cant see it but be good if it happened
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:16 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 pm
Linked with a season long loan for Nugent. Along with Northampton and someone else who I forget. Cant see it but be good if it happened
Apparently he lives in Leicester so surely he will go to Northampton, who apparently he has already met & spoken to and are a League above us. We must have tried to get Nugent about 3 or 4 times over the past 10 years or so - a very good player who would be a good player for us even at 35, but as you say HG I can't see it happening.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 pm
Interesting one, that. Not sure he'd displace the two we have at 35 and his stated reason for leaving PNE is wanting regular football. Would improve our bench a lot and provide strong competition, for sure.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 am

Ilesy says that yesterday it looked like Adam Senior was heading out on a youth loan, and all still expect it to happen. Faal too, except he has a foot injury. Also that the Jamie Devitt links are resurfacing but we've "moved on to other options" (whom we presumably haven't signed) - might Evatt's old mate be the released League One player who asked for too much?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... on-united/

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Liam Trotter has just signed for my local National League side. He turned 32 last week, so probably has a season or two left in him.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:48 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm
Liam Trotter has just signed for my local National League side. He turned 32 last week, so probably has a season or two left in him.
Waste of talent, that lad. He got screwed over by Keane a bit when Ipswich had a dip in form and the manger needed a scapegoat, but he should have kicked on at Millwall. He was no better at 28 than he was at 21.

I don't know if it was just his hamstrings that held him back or if 'Arry was right and he wasn't prepared to do what was needed to keep himself fit and improve, but it's a shame. A lad who could have played in the Prem in non-league at 32.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Andrew Tutte on a one year deal. Decent signing, that.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 pm

I've never heard of him, but he's got my backing:

"’I'm buzzing and over the moon to sign with such a big club."
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:17 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:14 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 pm

I've never heard of him, but he's got my backing:

"’I'm buzzing and over the moon to sign with such a big club."
Not for me.
"Big"?!? Every other signing said "massive" - he can do one.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:26 pm

He's the right sort to get in. Played locally with Rochdale and Bury. He's a workhorse mid with a good engine who will graft for the team and has enough technical ability to play a bit as we will need him to. He's definitely a league two player and he's not going to rip the division apart or win games on his own, but he'll fit into a system and he has a promotion under his belt with Bury, so he knows what it is about.

Question mark is over how fit he is to play that dynamo role. He got a bad injury at Bury, if memory serves, and it cost him his starting spot. Doesn't seem to have been a regular at Morecambe either. Bonus is he should be on low wages and keen to prove himself.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Wonder why he was bombed out at Morecambe? Seems to fit the model though - and a 1 year deal so no risk.