Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:06 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:01 pm
He was never very good and he relied on his running...he'll be 33 soon. Even at this level this one feels like, at best, a gamble.

Doesn't strike me as the kind of player who ages well, but maybe Evatt sees something I don't.
Not what I would have signed - he didn’t look like he could change a game when he came on. We need a big, awkward bloke who can hold a ball up and make things stick in the box to change a game, not a short arse.
Yes this is a very poor signing (Miller), I really can't see the logic from Phoenix / Evatt - you are correct we need a big strong striker (like Quigley who Evatt had at Barrow) to give us a different option when required - our strikers are all 30+.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:31 pm

We need people who can stop us conceding 2 a game...not many teams score 3 a game.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:33 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:19 pm
is a very poor signing (Miller), I really can't see the logic from Phoenix / Evatt - you are correct we need a big strong striker (like Quigley who Evatt had at Barrow) to give us a different option when required - our strikers are all 30+.
Who? I get what you are saying, but who would you get in from those available on a free?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:31 pm
We need people who can stop us conceding 2 a game...not many teams score 3 a game.
Yep. Spot on. Centre backs and midfield for me if we can possibly improve on is where we should. I will say the last few signings have the sort of sound of just getting bodies in so we have cover in every position and whilst I understand that need I’ve always believed a smaller squad with a better first 11 is better by far than a larger squad with a worse first 11. Law of averages and all that...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
We haven’t seen Delaney or the other centre half (Reiss whatshisface) yet.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I agree - but I can't see many clean sheets from this current defence, we have a lot of very tall defenders who surprisingly don't appear to be able to defend or head a ball (only doing off today & the Crewe game), I've seen better defending on most Sunday League pitches than Santos for their 2nd today....that is a little worrying for me, basic non league shite defending.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
IMO Delaney is better than Santos, Reiss Greenidge sounds like the best of the new defensive bunch but is apparently injured - but he needs to be playing when fit.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 pm

We seem to have signed our first choice defenders. These are the lads Evatt wanted and we have two players for every defensive position. I don't think we're signing any more any time soon.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
On that showing, we might need to see them soon.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Yep. Can’t see us signing anymore.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
IMO Delaney is better than Santos, Reiss Greenidge sounds like the best of the new defensive bunch but is apparently injured - but he needs to be playing when fit.
I had a mental bet with myself that within the first two weeks of the season you’d be calling for Evatt’s head...I reckon I might have been too conservative.... :wink:

I think we need to be very patient with this project. Not judge it in a week or two weeks or even three months. I think the early part of the season will be tough but we will improve as it goes on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm

The back three were poor today, but for me both goals came from errors in midfield and signing new defenders won't fix that.

We have giants at the back because (I assume) when we play the high press and force the ball long we can mop up in the air and build again. If the opposition can drop off our mids as easily as they did today (even off White), and then turn with the ball, they will break the press far too often and get right at the back 3.

Both goals came from the mids not getting in fast enough and because Evatt was pushing Gordon to get forward and there was confusion when the mids tried to fill in. For the first one the timing was just off and the quick ball killed us. For the second one the recovering player ran right past the man on the ball because he was too focused on positions and not on play.

Yeah, we were slow on the turn and Santos fecked up royally marking Novak; but I'd say we can fix it all on the training pitch given enough time. If we have to buy a new defence on the back of that game then there's a lot more wrong than personnel.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm
The back three were poor today, but for me both goals came from errors in midfield and signing new defenders won't fix that.

We have giants at the back because (I assume) when we play the high press and force the ball long we can mop up in the air and build again. If the opposition can drop off our mids as easily as they did today (even off White), and then turn with the ball, they will break the press far too often and get right at the back 3.

Both goals came from the mids not getting in fast enough and because Evatt was pushing Gordon to get forward and there was confusion when the mids tried to fill in. For the first one the timing was just off and the quick ball killed us. For the second one the recovering player ran right past the man on the ball because he was too focused on positions and not on play.

Yeah, we were slow on the turn and Santos fecked up royally marking Novak; but I'd say we can fix it all on the training pitch given enough time. If we have to buy a new defence on the back of that game then there's a lot more wrong than personnel.
Guess it’s more a question as to whether Santos and Taft are good enough as the wide centre backs, expected to play more or less as traditional full backs in possession....on the ball they looked ok but when we lost the ball, both seriously looked short to get back into position. Not sure you can fix that on the training ground. The system is very demanding on those wide centre backs. But I do think we will get better. I agree that there were two major issues, midfield and the back three. I’m not convinced either wing back was hugely problematic...in this system your wing backs are wingers really..who help out a bit....the midfield looked a bit off the pace apart from White who was excellent. But the telling thing for me is how much more we struggled when Crawford came on. You have to wonder if he has the fitness to play this system after his injury.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I had a mental bet with myself that within the first two weeks of the season you’d be calling for Evatt’s head...I reckon I might have been too conservative.... :wink:

I think we need to be very patient with this project. Not judge it in a week or two weeks or even three months. I think the early part of the season will be tough but we will improve as it goes on.
Wow hold on there tonto where I have I even mentioned Evatt ?, I commented about the CB's - you are an extremely sad individual with an agenda - so everyone else can comment but not me. You are a very sad small minded, know nothing individual - why do you single out everything I post ? even though others post the same thing ?

Its ok I won't tell the other posters that during the takeover you where sending me PM's trying to be friendly....carry on sad sack.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Hey squire, they sussed you on WWays a few months ago as a very sad ' thinks he knows it all' poster and you got dogs abuse - you have been quiet for a while but now your back....what was it fanny 5 or something similar !!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Wow hold on there tonto where I have I even mentioned Evatt ?, I commented about the CB's - you are an extremely sad individual with an agenda - so everyone else can comment but not me. You are a very sad small minded, know nothing individual - why do you single out everything I post ? even though others post the same thing ?

Its ok I won't tell the other posters that during the takeover you where sending me PM's trying to be friendly....carry on sad sack.
Do you not think that was an overreaction to a tongue in cheek post? You seem very wound up. Get some fresh air.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:28 pm

This is the transfer thread and this is a big topic, but would love to get into this with you on another thread if you fancy. What I'll say is that I think Evatt wants the players to fit into his system at the moment, not the system to fit the players. I don't think Crawford is the issue, I think Doyle is.When Sarc was at 10 they doubled up on him and that meant Doyle not being a natural runner wasn't as big an impact. When Crawford came on and we dropped Sarc deep they stopped doubling up on him and it meant they could adopt a much more natural shape. Doyle not being in the match was tolerable whilst Sarc took two players out of the game.

It worries me that Evatt didn't see that and went 3-up-top - killing the game. If he had pushed Sarc up the pitch it would have had far more impact.

We signed Doyle, we need to make the system work for him.

I could be talking bollocks, but that's how I saw it go.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Do you not think that was an overreaction to a tongue in cheek post? You seem very wound up. Get some fresh air.
No squire its tiresome - you do it on a regular basis, anyone else can post but you have a dig at almost anything that I post- but include a 'wink' to make it appear jovial.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Out of interest and off the back of one performance, am I right in thinking White's Blackburn contract expires at the end of the season?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:36 pm
Out of interest and off the back of one performance, am I right in thinking White's Blackburn contract expires at the end of the season?
Yes it does.