Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:48 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am
Greenidge, Taft and Delaney seems somewhat unnecessary for left footed centre halves.
I understand what you're saying but if you're playing a back three - as we machine-tooled the squad to do - then you'd want six, with three of them to be lefties. Taft is the established D4 player, Greenidge the Moneyballer and Delaney the inheritance. Trouble is Evatt doesn't seem to trust Taft, he doesn't seem to like Delaney and as for Greenidge, let's say he needs polishing...
At least one of them should have been an experienced head - like that Edwards we had last year for example. In the quest for footballing centre halves we have forgotten the need to defend.
I believe this is part of the problem. Training like Real Madrid players, carrying the ball out of defense like stars but not paying attention on how to position themselves and mark a player when being attacked. Did they all become horrible defenders overnight having played there all their lives?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Anyway, another problem is that our midfielder are not tracking the runners from midfield leading to so many chances early on. So we have multiple problems.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm
If we are going to use Comley he needs to be allowed to just sit and destroy. The defence need that protection, but he's being asked to do this "rotation" bit and it's not his game. He's a really good breaker of play, going that gritty horrible stuff deep in midfield. You can fit him into our systemin the role, it just needs slight tweaks to how we play. Having that insurance policy would help steady the ranks a bit. The tools to fix our issues are there in the squad. Evatt just needs to be flexible.
It's an interesting idea. To watch Comley in these first few games I wouldn't use the word "destroyer". He's certainly no Faye, but I guess he could be a Makelele - get the ball, pass it simply to someone else. But to me (and Mourinho and Allardyce) that's a role for the back man in a 4-3-3.

It might help him to be slightly deeper than he is at the minute, to "come onto" the play. Henshaw, for all his irritating microphone technique, is right that Comley's body shape frequently closes off his options. Maybe getting the ball (either from us or them) slightly deeper will allow him to find a man with the division-topping regularity he achieved last season. There's a player in there.

From their touch maps this week compared to last, it does look like Comley and White "stuck to their lanes" more than at Colchester. In Essex their touches were all over but yesterday Comley was definitely more to the right of White. It seems a fine distinction but maybe things are being noticed, roles being defined. You'd hope so.

But I'm still not sure I wouldn't drop him for Tutte.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:29 pm

My view is that our centre backs need some protection for a few games and Comley is the man for that job. By all means keep the intricate passing, but just let Comley sit there at the back and disrupt the opposition.

When I say a destroyer I mean of play, not men. Maybe "spoiler" would be a better word. It was too easy for Newport to build play, but wherever Comley was it got gritty fast. He also wins second balls in front of the back four. Both Taft and Santos went mental at the midfield a few times because they won the ball and a Newport player picked up the scraps in front of them. That can't happen.

There are three main issues for me. We are not playing to the strengths of the players. We are not brave enough on the ball. We are not working hard enough off the ball.

Those can all be fixed with the players we have. We won't be a great side with this lot, but we can be good enough to stay up.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm

I think against Harrogate I would pick a midfield of Tutte, White and have Comley sit behind. Literally go to protect a point and try and build on that. Means dropping Doyle...

Image https://startingeleven.co.uk/user-formation/326372

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:57 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm
I think against Harrogate I would pick a midfield of Tutte, White and have Comley sit behind. Literally go to protect a point and try and build on that. Means dropping Doyle...

Agree with the gist but we need outlets. Not sure I’d go quite this negative. Perhaps play a basic 4-4-2? With this sort of lineup....maybe White from the left, Hickman the right. Use Gordon as an overlap and attacking full back, let White tuck in.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm

I see your point Dibs but to.me that looks like a 0-1 defeat at best because we won't score but someone will bugger up !

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:13 pm

A while back I heard an interview with a player who was critical of players he saw as lacking bravery. He alleged that some footballers keep a very close eye on their opta stats and prefer to take the easier option of keeping possession than attempt something creative.

So far, this describes Comley to a tee for me. He had the best possession stats in L2 last year? & it's not difficult to see why. This would be ok if he broke up the opposition play and quickly gave it to the wide men, his midfield colleagues or went long to the front men. At the moment though he's either turning into trouble and being dispossessed, or he's shifting it sideways to White who's already been closed down.

He's been a big disappointment for me so far.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:13 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:13 pm
A while back I heard an interview with a player who was critical of players he saw as lacking bravery. He alleged that some footballers keep a very close eye on their opta stats and prefer to take the easier option of keeping possession than attempt something creative.

So far, this describes Comley to a tee for me. He had the best possession stats in L2 last year? & it's not difficult to see why. This would be ok if he broke up the opposition play and quickly gave it to the wide men, his midfield colleagues or went long to the front men. At the moment though he's either turning into trouble and being dispossessed, or he's shifting it sideways to White who's already been closed down.

He's been a big disappointment for me so far.
Isn't he just a player who is limited - probably fine as a general breaker upper of play, pass it simple type, but just not comfortable or if we're honest good enough to play how Evatt wants? The thing is that there are loads of midfield players like him at this level and they do fine. What they have is options for a simple pass and then someone else who wants responsibility for making the play. The only player I've seen in our team who WANTS the ball is White. He might sometimes make an error but he does seem comfortable in possession and wants to try and get the team going forwards.

This is where for me we're trying to overcomplicate it. Most football at this level is a solid base, some outlets either with a target up front or pace down the channels and then play from there. It gets you 40 or 50 yards up the pitch and then players like Crawford and White and your wide men can have a go at teams or work something in and around their box. The way we play means that White and/or Crawford are having to come into our half, pick it up and then start attacks. If you think what that involves its probably 7 or 8 more passes than if you can get it wide first time or hit a target up front. 7 or 8 more passes that a) if they aren't quick enough let the opposition get into position very comfortably and b) 7 or 8 times where a mistake costs possession,

Playing out from the back is fine if you can do it, or if its a variation in your game - but we're trying to do it every time and pretty much failing 80% of the time to build a meaningful attack. The worry is we've not recruited the wide players capable of playing this system nor have we got a striker who can do the holding up job up front. But at a simple level we need our best attacking threats picking up the ball within 30 yards of the opposition goal consistently, ideally before the opposition have their shape.

The whole way Evatt wants to play relies on extreme pressure on the ball, fast transitions and a player able to go up the gears very very quickly when the opponents are dug in. I think we lack all those things on the evidence thus far. Its more than just understanding - the confidence isn't there. So we need to play a simpler game.

If you look at it our strength comparatively is our strikers, Doyle and Delfouneso should be a handful and should score goals. To make that effective we need to stop conceding and find a more basic and easy way of getting them chances. Because currently we're not creating chances on anything like a regular basis.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Arthur Gnahoua's interview;

'Arthur, welcome to Bolton Wanderers, you must be pleased to have got the move over the line!?'

'Yeah, definitely, like, I'm really excited to sign for this team (tick), obviously it's a big club (tick) so I'm looking to play and, you know, show the fans that I can play as well so, yeah'.

'Yeah, what made you want to come and sign for Bolton Wanderers?'

'Errrrm, obviously it's not far from my house'

That's the fecking spirit, Sunshine. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:46 am

Saw that! Brilliant. Shame he didn't mention the school run.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 am

It's properly sent me that :lol: what a football club. We've signed a shithouse striker noone has heard of, with a goal scoring record about as good as Mark Beevers, and he's coming because he can walk to work.

This one's a crown of thorns on a dead donkey.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Haha I heard that last night, obviously the media training budgets out the window 🤣
If he does the business on Saturday I would give him a night in the hotel as a treat.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Could you pass me that marvellously journalistic phrase please? Ah thank you...

Zouma SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT. Says we were about to shunt out a defender - shurely Brockbank or Delaney - and IE/TP somewhat strung him along.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rers-exit/
Out of respect for Bolton and the club’s fans I never communicated about the situation, I let Bolton communicate about my situation but today I would like to set some truth back.

My wish has always been to sign and play for Bolton. I spent two seasons at the club with my initially signed Under-23s contract. In November 2019 the club made me an offer to extend my contract, but the offer was almost similar to my current contract, we tried to negotiate but never got a response from the club.

At the beginning of July sporting director Tobias (Phoenix) contacted my agent to find out if I was still interested in returning to the club, we said ‘yes’ and we waited for an offer that never arrived. It is important for me to say that Bolton NEVER made me an offer to return to the club.

Recently there was a mutual will for me to return to training at Bolton, Tobias insisted as the manager wanted to see if I was in good physical shape and it was agreed that he would make me an offer when another player was gone. Last week I spoke to the manager and he confirmed to me that the club wanted to sign me that they were going to send me an offer soon.

On Thursday I decided not to return to training because I had not received any offers from Bolton. When I read what was said by the club and the coach I must set the record straight and protect my image. I have always given my best for the club despite the hardships and injustices I have suffered.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Good news looks to be that we seem to be hinting at strengthening the central defence, need someone to take charge.

Bit confused about the article, he says we made an offer in November then protests in capitals that we NEVER made an offer...sounds like he's after more than we're willing to shell...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 pm

It does sound like there are changes afoot and hopefully that means we are getting someone better than young Youn in. I dare say if he had been here this summer we wouldn’t have signed Greenidge. Can’t see him being a priority over Santos and Taft given their CV’s...even if Santos appears to have all the footballing nous of a dustbin.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:42 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up lads. Not yet, anyway.

Mon 14 Sep: websites carry Evatt's acknowledgement that Zouma had been training with us, as suspected from Lostock photographs the previous week.

That's the Monday after FGR, and Evatt was already hatching the back-four plan ("in a strange way, and I cannot even express the words that can make you understand it, but you’ll probably see next Saturday and I’m hoping after the game on Saturday when we’re having this conversation, you can say ‘I’ve seen what you saw and we’ve cracked it’." Here's the words to express the big idea, mate: "back four".)

Playing a back four means you don't need any more centre-backs when you already have six non-teenagers jockeying for the diminished positions. Even if you shifted one on loan, five's plenty competition for two places, especially when you're limited by embargo and salary cap.

By the time the quotes were out there, Zouma was already toast, unless Evatt and Phoenix could find not just someone to borrow Brockbank but probably also someone else to have Delaney. Even that would leave us with the four centre-backs our dynamic duo had algorithmically hired in summer - Taft, Santos, Baptiste and can't-wait-to-show-him-off Greenidge - so a fifth would be an extravagance.

So it goes. I liked Zouma as a character and he was sort of fun as a player; in a much better world than this (one where Evatt's system of buccaneering centre-backs had immediately worked) he would be a more suitable back-up for Santos than the relatively staid Brockbank. However, while he was worth a look, the last thing we need now is another callow centre-back with a reputation for errors.

As it stands, with Brockbank and Delaney on the books, we've got six centre-backs for two spaces. Even if those two left we'd have enough bodies, if not necessarily enough brains in the heads and energy in the legs. We might need more if Evatt reverts to a back three, which might be an option sooner or later. But the fact we had a look at an easy-idea centre-back a fortnight or more ago doesn't necessarily mean we're after strengthening now – because, as much as anything, that would mean Evatt and Phoenix agreeing they'd recruited badly to start with, and neither seems like the man to start that conversation.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 pm

It's right mess, but would be worse with another dodgy defender taking up a wage and place.
Also, if I ran the club (it'd be brilliant obvs) I wouldn't be committing any more long term wages to this particular project until I knew it wasn't a load of bollocks. Cheap loans or nothing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 pm

I think under the terms of the embargo all loans have to be free anyway. Which might explain the dearth of them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:30 am

It's certainly a problem. We've got the volume but without the capability. I'm assuming the "defensive attributes" and "leadership stats" were still masked when we picked 'em.