Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:18 am

Evatt wants four! more! geezers!

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... quad-week/
We’re not there yet – and I’d like another four in the building, hopefully this week. Then, I think we’ll be ready. There’s no pressure to get them all in. We’re being very specific and we have a valuation on each and every player we speak to. If they don’t share that valuation and want more money we’ll stand our ground, simple as that.

Hopefully, those last deals will be done this week. If they are not, then we’ll be patient and get the right ones in the building.

We need them because, as the lads will tell you, we have been working very hard in training and the ones who were later into the group are behind the others, playing catch-up. We do not want that to happen too far into the season.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:47 pm

And here comes the first of those four...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Beat me to it, Brommers. Amoateng, d'you think?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm
I would assume so - there's hasn't even been a whisper of anyone else (Charlie Adam excluded).

Would be a nice surprise if it was somebody completely left of field though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:56 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 pm
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm
I would assume so - there's hasn't even been a whisper of anyone else (Charlie Adam excluded).

Would be a nice surprise if it was somebody completely left of field though.
Literally. just looking back at LWBs I've suggested and there's still be nobody signing Callum McFadzean, Luke Garbutt, Sam Hart, Jamie Mascoll, Junior Brown, Brad Garmston or for that matter Graham Carey. If it's an unseen face it'd presumably be a better-known one we wouldn't "trial".

But my 10 bob would be on Amoateng.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:59 pm

SIGNING KLAXON

It's LWB Jamie Mascoll

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:02 pm

Twitter reaction is "Who?" - but maybe more folks should read The Wanderer, eh?
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:46 pm
JAMIE MASCOLL, 23 (15 Mar 97)
Catford-born 6ft2in left-back or left-winger. Played a fair bit for Londonish non-league clubs then signed for Charlton at 20; didn't break through and two years later joined Wycombe after impressing on trial, with Gareth Ainsworth saying “Jamie is very quick, very athletic and has shown he’s got an excellent delivery on him, so we believe he’s got the attributes that give us another option in the left-back role.”
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm
Jamie Mascoll is somebody I missed when trawling through released players from Division 3 and 4. It's always necessary to take Youtube highlights with a large pinch of salt, but it's not hard to recognise that he's got an abundance of pace, always useful when trying to cover any defensive deficiencies. Look at Antonee Robinson for example, not the most naturally gifted defender but has great athleticism to take on players and also get back sharpish - now a PL player.

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:59 am
If Mascoll was released by Wycombe then I could still imagine him being a very good player at our level. He's a left back, so he was kept out of their side by Joe Jacobson - one of their most important players. He is their key set piece taker from what I've seen, so displacing him would be difficult for any player.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Well whadya know. Spot on there DSB. TP and IE must be trawling this thread for ideas.

Pleased with the signing. Looks exciting and still young so room for growth.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:08 pm

23 years old, left sider, initial one-year deal with the club having an option for a second year.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... kes-it-15/
Jamie Mascoll said rather than wrote:As soon as the interest came about, it was an easy decision to make, especially after speaking to Ian (Evatt). I’ve been trying to keep myself fit since I left Wycombe and hopefully I can come here and hit the ground running. I’m a quick player and I like to try and run in behind as well. I think the style of play here at Bolton will suit me a lot.
Ian Evatt said rather than wrote:Jamie is another player who is a good age and has no end of improvement to come. He is lighting quick, has excellent quality with his left foot and we are excited to add him into our group.
Iles: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... e-mascoll/

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:11 pm

2979421A-4C98-4CF9-A17B-DC9EF08DDE7B.jpeg
2979421A-4C98-4CF9-A17B-DC9EF08DDE7B.jpeg (306.91 KiB) Viewed 1350 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:35 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm
Well whadya know. Spot on there DSB. TP and IE must be trawling this thread for ideas.
I won't take a commission [kisses badge]

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 pm

He might actually be the starting left back given he was at a league one club last season and Gordon was in the non-league.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 pm
He might actually be the starting left back given he was at a league one club last season and Gordon was in the non-league.
He'll definitely be pushing Gordon - a good rivalry to match the one on the right between Gethin and Jak. Room for all four: plenty Sat-Tue-Sat weeks this season and wingback's a tiring position.

Speaking of which, whether by insufficient competition or sufficient fitness Gordon has finished a couple of 90-minute shifts already; I'd expect our man Mascoll to be pushed against Wigan and Crewe this week to see how he stands up - maybe an hour in both with Flash coming on to keep himself ticking over and, importantly, keep asking the oppo questions...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:30 pm

The Wycombe view of him seems to be that he's decent going forward, but lacking when you get at him. They'll have had him in their usual back four, you'd think, so it may just be that IE has identified him as a natural wingback who has the attributes he needs. If he was a decent L1 understudy then he should do a good job for us down in L2.

I have no idea if he will be good for us or not, but I'm delighted to see the defence rounded out and to have yet another quick, young player in the squad. Can't argue with the business we are doing.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:46 pm

I've just watched his interview and he's described himself as "buzzing" about the move, which will delight a few posters on here I'm sure. :D

As has been alluded to, although I haven't yet seen them play, it does feel as though for the first time in a long time we might have genuine competition for places in a lot of positions.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:57 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 pm
Just 4 league appearances for Mascoll and 0 for Gordon so little experience there. Let's hope we've unearthed 2 gems.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:30 pm
The Wycombe view of him seems to be that he's decent going forward, but lacking when you get at him. They'll have had him in their usual back four, you'd think, so it may just be that IE has identified him as a natural wingback who has the attributes he needs. If he was a decent L1 understudy then he should do a good job for us down in L2.
And as with both right wingbacks, we have a one-year contract, with the option to add a year if we like. Good business.

From the clipreel he seems to have a good eye for a sensible forward pass - some nice straight alley-balls. Plug those into Evatt's system and we might be alright.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:31 pm

Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:14 pm
And as with both right wingbacks, we have a one-year contract, with the option to add a year if we like. Good business.

From the clipreel he seems to have a good eye for a sensible forward pass - some nice straight alley-balls. Plug those into Evatt's system and we might be alright.
Yeah, we are being careful. We have options for another year on those contracts, but I'd not be shocked if a decent 6-8 months netted people new contracts.

I noticed the forward passes from the video too, but after the "Daniel Braaten is basically Messi" fever that struck I think we're all inclined to view highlight reels as so much bullshit.

The fact he wants to play forward is enough for me, for now. We can see how he does, but I've had enough of negativity over the last forever-and-a-bit. If the lad wants to attack a fullback and pass through the lines he is welcome to go for it.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Seems to be another researched and astute signing. Gets a thumbs up from me :)
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:03 am

Mascoll? Oh, I say! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way