Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 pm

He’s a non-league player. Always was, always will be. Fingers crossed he doesn’t play against us next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:53 am

Evatt:
Just because you have a contract at a football club doesn’t mean you have to stay here for the entirety. As with any business, if you are not producing the goods then there is a good chance you get moved on. That is the game. You have to fight to be at this club.

I played in the Premier League and I had to wash my own training kit. These players come into a palace of a stadium, a palace of a training ground, have kit washed, food cooked, they are living a dream. But fight for it. We’re climbing a mountain and trying to get to the top but there’s not enough ropes for everyone. Make sure you grab a rope.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... r-options/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:29 am

Goalkeeper and left back, ideally a right sided centre half (I think Edwards is broke). Would also sign a decent striker if we could as well who could hold the ball up.

Out go Taft, Gordon, Mascoll. Gnouha Can go as well for me but in his defence he hasn’t played in the right position.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:58 am

I think there's a player in Taft, specifically an Evatt-type ball-carrying defender, but at the minute we need the stability of Delaney.

But there's definite mileage in a conversation on who we'd all get shut of, given a chance.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:37 pm

I agree. I think he seems to be the fall guy amongst the collection of centre halves. No point him being here and not playing. Not if it frees up wages to get someone in we can use.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:41 pm

At least one of the LWBs needs to go, along with Greenidge and Crellin.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:55 pm

We need to sign a keeper not get rid of the only one we have 🤷‍♂️

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:55 pm
Well yeah, I'd be advocating signing one as well, obviously. But I don't get the logic behind keeping loan players if they're clearly not up to scratch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:06 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:32 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:55 pm
Well yeah, I'd be advocating signing one as well, obviously. But I don't get the logic behind keeping loan players if they're clearly not up to scratch.
Something I was pondering this morning:

While I completely understand the logic of those who say we should develop our own players instead of loaning in other clubs' prospects, I think there is a time and a place for it. (Say we have a squad hole, and Burnley have a talent who might not make it there... we borrow, he impresses, we get him later on a free.)

I also thought that given Evatt's reputation for nice football, we might be lent some proper crackers by some of the big clubs near here. But where did we eventually borrow players from? Blackburn, Fleetwood and Luton... :grin:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm not against loaning players at all, but only if they're going to make a positive contribution to our team pretty much immediately. I don't think it can be argued that Crellin's done that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:38 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:13 pm
I'm not against loaning players at all, but only if they're going to make a positive contribution to our team pretty much immediately. I don't think it can be argued that Crellin's done that.
Agreed on all that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:10 pm

There's a school of thought amongst some managers that goalkeepers aren't all that important. The idea being that so long as the rest of the team plays well the goalkeeper isn't needed much. I do wonder if Evatt expected his team to play such good possession football that he didn't really need to "waste" money on that position, as the opposition would barely threaten. That was my impression when we signed Crellin, that Evatt felt like we could "get by" with the kid and sort the position out later.

As it turns out, we are shit and could really use a good goalkeeper. Who'd have thunk it?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:06 pm

I still have sympathy for the recruitment and why I'm willing to give Evatt at least until March as long as we don't look likely to go down.

You sign 20 players all on frees or loans, a good proportion aren't going to work. You have to hope you don't get two duff ones in one position (LWB) or put all your eggs on one dodgy basket (nets, and a poor gamble tbf).

We have to find a way to muddle through until Jan and then target those weaknesses (along with quality up top).

I understand Hickman for Gordon but given he's all about delivery and Kioso more about athleticism and an aerial outlet I'd be sticking him left and Jak right.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:13 pm

That's the thing, though, I don't think the keeper issue was unavoidable - I think it came from arrogance. I think Evatt genuinely believed we'd be playing teams off the park and Crellin would be able to learn in relative comfort. If Crellin got injured we could stick Alexander in net for a bit and he too would have it easy, because we were going to boss the league.

Arrogance got us here. This was obviously going to be an issue.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:21 pm

Crellin has played for England U20s and I assume came highly recommended, so I don't think it's likely we were looking to save pennies by bringing him in.

All the top footballing sides, who are seemingly admired by our coach, also have good keepers. I don't think Evatt is daft enough to have thought we'd be so much better than this league that we could afford to carry a shit keeper.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:13 pm
That's the thing, though, I don't think the keeper issue was unavoidable - I think it came from arrogance. I think Evatt genuinely believed we'd be playing teams off the park and Crellin would be able to learn in relative comfort. If Crellin got injured we could stick Alexander in net for a bit and he too would have it easy, because we were going to boss the league.

You may be right. I don't think so, though. I said in summer that the goalkeeper position might be difficult because Evatt would presumably want someone good with his feet – an Ederson rather than a Joe Hart. Sadly we seem to have ended up with a Claudio Bravo, and judging by Crellin's distribution today he's not even that good with his feet.

Given the role's specialization and IE/TP's determination to get two for every position, I was very surprised we didn't get two options. As I think I said this week, with outfielders you can try people in the positions you didn't buy them for - like Santos in the middle instead of the right or more notably Brockbank at left wing-back.

Over the summer, in almost every position (in the 3-4-1-2 system) we seem to acquire one XI of League-experienced players (like your Gethin Joneses) and one of potential Moneyball bargains (like your Jak Hickmen). The two exceptions to this rule? LWB, where we got Gordon early but backed him up much later with Mascoll (previous league experience: 230 minutes) and as I say I wonder if we had abandoned a better option like Calum McFadzean (who signed for Sunderland a couple of weeks ago). And goalkeeper, where we didn't get a back-up at all, unless you include Alexander or Gilks – as Evatt must surely now do.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:13 pm

I agree it's hard to imagine a manager being told tough sh!t if passionately advocating for an experienced keeper.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:28 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:21 pm
Crellin has played for England U20s and I assume came highly recommended, so I don't think it's likely we were looking to save pennies by bringing him in.

All the top footballing sides, who are seemingly admired by our coach, also have good keepers. I don't think Evatt is daft enough to have thought we'd be so much better than this league that we could afford to carry a shit keeper.

I agree. They clearly took a gamble only bringing in one but I think they were getting a highly rated young keeper who importantly was good with his feet. I have to say I too thought he was fine for the first 5 or so games but he looks ropey af now.

They should have brought in a second but I don't think it was arrogance, rather a gamble that didn't work.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Crellin the clown played 9 games for Chorley and 5 for Fleetwood last season. It was a mega gamble.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:30 pm
Crellin the clown played 9 games for Chorley and 5 for Fleetwood last season. It was a mega gamble.
I also wonder why Gilks is just 'stepping up his training'? He should be training properly every day if registered. It's amateurish.